A thread on politics- have some balls and post

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't watch hardly any MSM but I am slowly getting into the Ukraine/Russia situation, this is from today..... a favourite Podcaster of mine *Lex Fridman in a sit down with Oliver Stone.

Oliver Stone delving into Putin, the Ukraine/Russia situation, propaganda, United States hypocrisy and empire building, surprise surprise Stone says don't believe what you are fed by the establishment. Great discussion, time stamped if you want to skip. >

*Lex Fridman is a Russian-American computer scientist, artificial intelligence researcher, and podcast host working and teaching at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)

I don't watch hardly any MSM but I am slowly getting into the Ukraine/Russia situation, this is from today..... a favourite Podcaster of mine *Lex Fridman in a sit down with Oliver Stone.

Oliver Stone delving into Putin, the Ukraine/Russia situation, propaganda, United States hypocrisy and empire building, surprise surprise Stone says don't believe what you are fed by the establishment. Great discussion, time stamped if you want to skip. >

*Lex Fridman is a Russian-American computer scientist, artificial intelligence researcher, and podcast host working and teaching at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)

Skipped forward to the war in Ukraine section. Boy I'm only 5 minutes in, but he certainly has a chip on shoulder in regards the United States doesn't he. Talking about the propaganda in all the countries of Europe. lol. Don't get me wrong, I don't think for a second that there isn't mayo on stories that we all get fed, and stories that the Ukraine put out have a specific purpose in mind i.e. more support, more money more weapons etc. But at the end of the day a country was invaded lol.

But at the end of the day a country was invaded lol.
If you are running with a blanket he-who-invades-a-county-is-evil-no-matter-the-context then your opinion of the United States must be extremely low considering how many countries they have invaded (and rebellions fomented / governments toppled / elections interfered with / economies bullied / treaties broken / occupying forces stationed) over the last century!

If you are running with a blanket he-who-invades-a-county-is-evil-no-matter-the-context then your opinion of the United States must be extremely low considering how many countries they have invaded (and rebellions fomented / governments toppled / elections interfered with / economies bullied / treaties broken / occupying forces stationed) over the last century!
That's exactly why my opinion of the United States is extremely low

This would have been my reply to you as well BangyBangy , Viceregal more eloquent and concise than me though.... the United States are the biggest war mongers on the planet and probably one of the worst of all time.

I mean, it’s hardly revelatory big brain stuff to realise the US is a hypocritical imperialist warmonger, but its weird that that becomes the key takeaway for some people when another nation commits similar acts, as though everyone else is allowed to have their turn.

Then it comes more problematic for the Joe Rogan/QAnon types who then use it as a gateway drug to idiotic conspiracy rabbit holes.

i.e. The mainstream media is downplaying US’s hypocrisy=the media is conflicted by corporate interest=the media is being selective in the facts=the media is lying about this=the media is lying about everything = there is an organised media conspiracy to misrepresent the conflict in Ukraine = Putin is being misrepresented = ????

In any case, whataboutism means s**t all to the people in Mariupol right now.

I mean, it’s hardly revelatory big brain stuff to realise the US is a hypocritical imperialist warmonger, but its weird that that becomes the key takeaway for some people when another nation commits similar acts, as though everyone else is allowed to have their turn.

Then it comes more problematic for the Joe Rogan/QAnon types who then use it as a gateway drug to idiotic conspiracy rabbit holes.

i.e. The mainstream media is downplaying US’s hypocrisy=the media is conflicted by corporate interest=the media is being selective in the facts=the media is lying about this=the media is lying about everything = there is an organised media conspiracy to misrepresent the conflict in Ukraine = Putin is being misrepresented = ????

In any case, whataboutism means s**t all to the people in Mariupol right now.

In an alternative universe where NATO folds and the Warsaw Pact is the victor ... over time Germany, France, Belgium, Spain etc all join the Warsaw Pact and then they start to invite Scotland, Wales, the Channel Isles, and Ireland into the Pact ... you don't think that the UK would have some legitimate security concerns?

Assume for a moment that back when Scotland had been joined to the UK that all of Cumbria, Northumberland, Newcastle, Durham and Teeside had been made a part of the Scots region to increase the English element in Scotland. Scotland ends up in the Warsaw Pact's Sphere of Influence due to a coup d'etat and as a result they and they ban English, make it official policy to remove all English folk and replace them with good Gaels etc but ended up having to agree to let those English-speaking/British-aligned regions have autonomy and vote for preferred state allegiance ... and then spend eight years shelling Newcastle and Carlisle and Berwick (which have never been Gaelic btw) killing over 15000 English leading to a civil war between Scotland proper and the Scots areas more English aligned. During this time the Scots / Warsaw Pact folk ignore all diplomatic efforts from the British to try and resolve the situation or at least adhere to the agreements already in place. Eventually the British troops cross the border into Teeside, Durham and Newcastle and the Gaels fight hard to keep a hold of Newcastle (but fail) ... would we really be condemning the British in those circumstances? If yes, then at what point are they allowed to fight back - Yorkshire? East Midlands? Sussex? Hampshire? 12 Downing St?

In an alternative universe where NATO folds and the Warsaw Pact is the victor ... over time Germany, France, Belgium, Spain etc all join the Warsaw Pact and then they start to invite Scotland, Wales, the Channel Isles, and Ireland into the Pact ... you don't think that the UK would have some legitimate security concerns?

Assume for a moment that back when Scotland had been joined to the UK that all of Cumbria, Northumberland, Newcastle, Durham and Teeside had been made a part of the Scots region to increase the English element in Scotland. Scotland ends up in the Warsaw Pact's Sphere of Influence due to a coup d'etat and as a result they and they ban English, make it official policy to remove all English folk and replace them with good Gaels etc but ended up having to agree to let those English-speaking/British-aligned regions have autonomy and vote for preferred state allegiance ... and then spend eight years shelling Newcastle and Carlisle and Berwick (which have never been Gaelic btw) killing over 15000 English leading to a civil war between Scotland proper and the Scots areas more English aligned. During this time the Scots / Warsaw Pact folk ignore all diplomatic efforts from the British to try and resolve the situation or at least adhere to the agreements already in place. Eventually the British troops cross the border into Teeside, Durham and Newcastle and the Gaels fight hard to keep a hold of Newcastle (but fail) ... would we really be condemning the British in those circumstances? If yes, then at what point are they allowed to fight back - Yorkshire? East Midlands? Sussex? Hampshire? 12 Downing St?

Do you think a Ukrainian invasion of Russia was imminent?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah, what a glorious future comrade. Speaking as someone living in the UK, this utopia you dream of is far preferable to the current omnishambles.

So long as they can sort out the bins anyway

Do you think a Ukrainian invasion of Russia was imminent?

As a stand alone question re the timing of the Russian Special Military Operation (SMO) or the lines of advance used that question would make sense but in light of the section you bolded it seems to be a non-sequitur...

Personally I think that the UK would go not so quietly nuts if a foreign entity tried to get Scotland, Wales et al to join them ... especially one whose initial intention and recent rhetoric and actions were explicitly anti-Anglo to the point of not considering the Anglos to be human. Whether the British High Command felt that the Warsaw/Gaelic alliance was going to attack more areas of England in a week or a month or a year or a decade is irrelevant to the knowledge that such an attack was the inevitable consequence of the actions taking place.

Just FYI, Oliver Stone is a cooked Russian stooge these days. His "documentary", "Ukraine on Fire" about the events and history of Ukraine was basically just Russian propaganda. I mean he's recently posted that conspiracy theories that the US are going to use a low-yield nuclear explosion in Ukraine and blame Russia.

Hey guys, for those of you who know a bit more about this I'd like your opinion and insight about how much of a factor foreign ownership & super funds have on both the housing & commercial property markets.
What are the rules around foreign ownership of private, residential properties?

Speaking as a descendant of Geordies, I can 100% guarantee that they (Newcastle and Durham) would want independence from both sides, as an independent nation state.

Speaking as a descendant of Geordies, I can 100% guarantee that they (Newcastle and Durham) would want independence from both sides, as an independent nation state.

Indeed - and historically the Welsh would be delighted to be out as well - perhaps they could reconstitute the old Kingdom of Strathclyde!

It will be interesting to watch, in a more de-industrialised future, how the various forces toward regional independence and the ones toward a more centralised approach play out. Most people these days would have trouble imagining multiple kingdoms just in England, or on the Iberian Peninsula or Italy, or hundreds of independent principalities in Germany etc. I fully anticipate the current US breaking up into more independent regions going forward and wouldn't be surprised if the same (if less intensly) happened here in Australia.

Indeed - and historically the Welsh would be delighted to be out as well - perhaps they could reconstitute the old Kingdom of Strathclyde!

It will be interesting to watch, in a more de-industrialised future, how the various forces toward regional independence and the ones toward a more centralised approach play out. Most people these days would have trouble imagining multiple kingdoms just in England, or on the Iberian Peninsula or Italy, or hundreds of independent principalities in Germany etc. I fully anticipate the current US breaking up into more independent regions going forward and wouldn't be surprised if the same (if less intensly) happened here in Australia.

We all know the first to announce independence will be W.A :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back