ABC's apparent refusal to call stadiums/grounds by their sponsorship names

Remove this Banner Ad

Given the impending battle likely to take place over funding the new stadium in Hobart, I'm not looking forward to when we hear about the Tassie Devils playing at Westpac Coca-Cola McDonalds Toyota BHP Pointsbet HCF Qantas Harvey Norman Park.

I am bumping this thread because yesterday driving from country Victoria to Melbourne the only radio station I could pick up in the hills near Mansfield was ABC, and they kept talking about the game at Kardinia Park. Nobody except the ABC does this.

This really irritated me as the reality is the football stadium in Geelong which is currently called GMHBA Stadium, and for which GMHBA has paid good money, is located inside Kardinia Park, just as the MCG is located within Yarra Park.

I still don't understand why the ABC cannot acknowledge the sponsored name of a stadium. I know the ABC is anti-advertising, but its so anachronistic pretending sponsored names don't exist.

So there, I've vented my spleen!

Alright Mr. GMHBA 🙄

I am bumping this thread because yesterday driving from country Victoria to Melbourne the only radio station I could pick up in the hills near Mansfield was ABC, and they kept talking about the game at Kardinia Park. Nobody except the ABC does this.

This really irritated me as the reality is the football stadium in Geelong which is currently called GMHBA Stadium, and for which GMHBA has paid good money, is located inside Kardinia Park, just as the MCG is located within Yarra Park.

I still don't understand why the ABC cannot acknowledge the sponsored name of a stadium. I know the ABC is anti-advertising, but its so anachronistic pretending sponsored names don't exist.

So there, I've vented my spleen!
Can just see the GMHBA Marketing Manager picking up the phone to the Cattery and enquiring "Ummm guys... We pay you good money for naming rights, but a radio network that very few people listen to isn't using it, can you please do something about that".

Yeah... Nah...

Can just see the GMHBA Marketing Manager picking up the phone to the Cattery and enquiring "Ummm guys... We pay you good money for naming rights, but a radio network that very few people listen to isn't using it, can you please do something about that".

Yeah... Nah...
Its nothing new. As this 2015 thread tell us. I'm sure GFC don't give a s**t. But one day the ABC may need to find alternative sources of income, just as SBS has done with advertising, and they'll change their tune then.

ABC picks and chooses. They had no problems referring to a Sydney to Hobart yacht, Etihad Stadium, by this name

Its nothing new. As this 2015 thread tell us. I'm sure GFC don't give a s**t. But one day the ABC may need to find alternative sources of income, just as SBS has done with advertising, and they'll change their tune then.

ABC picks and chooses. They had no problems referring to a Sydney to Hobart yacht, Etihad Stadium, by this name
They haven't as yet, and are unlikely to do so in the future. SBS is not an apples with apples comparison, ABC is the national broadcaster.

As has been pointed out, they do so only when absolutely necessary to enable something/someone to be identified. I'm not sure reporting on the progress of yacht registration M6798FG would really give people the necessary information.

ABC doing this would probably see the Board and Execs fired with cause.

What other name does that yacht have ? Geelong's ground had a name for 100+ years.

Given the impending battle likely to take place over funding the new stadium in Hobart, I'm not looking forward to when we hear about the Tassie Devils playing at Westpac Coca-Cola McDonalds Toyota BHP Pointsbet HCF Qantas Harvey Norman Park.
reminds me of
n2Ojoh4LzMjUmrGcnBqJqYjcj122SiGEVA9UXQ-KnfY.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back