FoxFooty calling interstate games remotely

Remove this Banner Ad

Dixon Dunstall and Howie commentating a Hawks games with Lyon as the token Melbourne rep
At this rate they might as well have put Lyon on the earlier game and put Dermott on this one :rolleyes:

Blocker Roach just said “it’s probably really humid up there in Townsville” during their NRL coverage.
Why would you even say that?
You have the perfect out, 'Oh, we're in the comm box, we can't tell, let's find out from [boundary rider]'
Instead he put his foot in his mouth.
Then again, he is an ex-rugby player, so...:shrug:

Yeah, good one Leigh Montagna...

Goulden(sic) on centre wing somehow kicks it to Goulden who has "drifted" into the forward 50.

Somehow kicked it to himself and covered the 50-odd metres in a second.

Twas actually Campbell (blond hair) kicking it to Goulden (dark hair).

That's just plain incompetence.

Can't use calling off the TV as an excuse.

Nathan Brown made a similia blunder in the Geelong vs West Coast at Gather Round and he was at the venue.

Why would you even say that?
You have the perfect out, 'Oh, we're in the comm box, we can't tell, let's find out from [boundary rider]'
Instead he put his foot in his mouth.
Then again, he is an ex-rugby player, so...:shrug:
The Fox League crew are pretty open about it. To some degree, it's better than pretending you're there or have extra screens and camera angles that you're clearly not looking at.

The Fox League crew are pretty open about it. To some degree, it's better than pretending you're there or have extra screens and camera angles that you're clearly not looking at.
Hadn't thought of it that way.
Not sure the Fox Footy commentators would be as flippant about it, they seem to take the commentating gig seriously more serious, case in point Kingy trying to defend the practice.

Enjoyed having the local crew of Adam Papalia, Pavlich and Will Schofield call the game in person at Optus. The commentary was an improvement. If they can’t be assed flying over then a team based in the west is the only alternative

They're the best team going around. They seem to possess bizarre notions of just calling the game, not barracking, no ridiculous hype and just let the play unfold.

They also seem to understand that commentators are like umpires - if you don't notice them they're doing their job well.

David Lloyd was interviewed in the UK Telegraph recently. This is what he said about calling games from a studio: “You’re lifted by the occasion, and you go up and down. It is impossible to do that from a studio.”

The 2020 State of Origin decider was the first time long time rugby league caller Ray Warren had a to do a game from a studio. This was during covid so it was fair enough. Ray Warren called the game with former NSW coach Phil Gould in a studio in Sydney while former QLD 2nd rower and coach Paul Vautin was on site at Suncorp Stadium to witness the mighty Queenslanders pull off one of their greatest ever wins.

Below is what Ray Warren told the Sydney Morning Herald about the prospect of doing the 2020 State of Origin decider from a studio

"Never in my life have I called a game off the TV. And when COVID hit, I told them I'd never called the game off the tube, and I don't want to.

"I made it clear the major reason for that was when the players come out to warm-up, I check the colour of their hair, their hairstyle, strapping, what colour boots they might be wearing. I do all that for 30 minutes while they're warming up so I'm confident I can ID players the best I can.

"If you gave me the alternative, I'd say, 'Please put me at the ground'. I'll miss the crowd telling me how excited to be during the call. In other words, you use the crowd as a barometer.''

Last edited:
I watched a non victorian game the other day, and there's a slow play where the player waits and Chief goes something like 'He didn't go because we presume he has nothing up the ground to kick to'

IF YOU WHERE THERE YOU COULD TELL US

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think it's bad now? They'll start calling the Ch 7 games from the studio come 2025, even if it's at Marvel or MCG or Kardinia.
Oh sure, they might drop in for the Rich V Carlton Round 1 or Anzac Day or Big Freeze or Dreamtime, but that'll be about it until Finals.

There was several examples of close games late when a behind has been scored and team that’s trailing is trying to quickly get it up other end. Sometimes when the camera has not panned the ground further up field the studio commentators can’t tell us how teams are setting up. They miss a shitload of stuff

They should call the grand final from the studio.
I've mentioned a few times that the Melbourne Triple M Footy guys called the 'in-Perth' 2021 Grand Final from the studio 2,724km away, even though the Perth Triple M guys, which included Dennis Cometti, called the game from the ground for the WA audience. To me, that is too bizarre for words. Eh, maybe it was a contractual thing, but I'd bet on it being ego :tongueoutv1:

Last edited:
What does Fox League do for the NRL Grand Final?
Genuine question, I don't watch rugby.

judging from this, they used their own commentators for the 2 lead-in games, but like the AFL they do not show the Grand Final live.

judging from this, they used their own commentators for the 2 lead-in games, but like the AFL they do not show the Grand Final live.
Yeah, they don't show the Grand Final live, nor any of the State of Origins, but they use their own commentary for those matches even though they're on delay.
What I was really asking was, do Fox League call the GF from the ground or the studio?

Yeah, they don't show the Grand Final live, nor any of the State of Origins, but they use their own commentary for those matches even though they're on delay.
What I was really asking was, do Fox League call the GF from the ground or the studio?
Grand finals- at the ground. Origin from the studio (if not in NSW).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back