Remove this Banner Ad

fu** me that's an insane amount of money.

According to The Australian newspaper, MM get's a 20% cut of the AUD$2m.

'The bidding war for rights to the story started almost as soon as Cleo was found on November 3 last year, alive and well inside a locked house only minutes from the family home.

The Seven network was also chasing the story for its Spotlight series, and was also prepared to pay big money for the interview. It is understood Seven West Media chairman Kerry Stokes had taken a personal interest in the story and was keen for the network to acquire rights.

The deal was negotiated by talent agent Max Markson, who stands to pocket at least $400,000 from the deal on his usual 20 per cent cut.'

Right on cue, Seven West Media beats up on Nine Entertainment after losing out on the Blowholes abduction exclusive.

fu** me that's an insane amount of money.

Take it and then change all of your names by deed poll

Agree, for the Smith's it's a lot of money - but for the industry it's not really that much giving the global interest in the story and potential on-sell of the 60 minute interview to major US and UK networks etc. plus, without knowing details, rights to future related media presentations, TV mini-series, a movie etc.

Of course none of this will be undertaken until the related court case has been concluded and the alleged perpetrator is yet to even plead to the charges against him...

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Outrage as Nine network pays more than $2m for Cleo Smith interview

'The Nine Network has paid more than $2m for an exclusive interview with the parents of kidnapped four-year-old Cleo Smith, a record in Australian television, which is likely to outrage shareholders.

The plan is for the interviews with the family to appear on the networks’ news and current affairs flagship 60 Minutes, with possible spin-offs to the Nine newspapers and talk of a six-part special for Stan.

It is understood the deal involves filming with not only the toddler’s mother, Ellie Smith, and stepfather, Jake Giddon, but also Cleo herself.'
If I were little Cleo I’d be telling everyone to F off.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Outrage as Nine network pays more than $2m for Cleo Smith interview

'The Nine Network has paid more than $2m for an exclusive interview with the parents of kidnapped four-year-old Cleo Smith, a record in Australian television, which is likely to outrage shareholders.

The plan is for the interviews with the family to appear on the networks’ news and current affairs flagship 60 Minutes, with possible spin-offs to the Nine newspapers and talk of a six-part special for Stan.

It is understood the deal involves filming with not only the toddler’s mother, Ellie Smith, and stepfather, Jake Giddon, but also Cleo herself.'

Wow! I really thought the big payouts for TV interviews were a thing of the past. Shows what I know!

Agree, for the Smith's it's a lot of money - but for the industry it's not really that much giving the global interest in the story and potential on-sell of the 60 minute interview to major US and UK networks etc. plus, without knowing details, rights to future related media presentations, TV mini-series, a movie etc.

Of course none of this will be undertaken until the related court case has been concluded and the alleged perpetrator is yet to even plead to the charges against him...
Mainstream media is bleeding money, especially TV. $2,000,000 is a huge amount of money for most parties, including a TV station.

Mainstream media is bleeding money, especially TV. $2,000,000 is a huge amount of money for most parties, including a TV station.

Agree, Australian MSM has been treading water for years and if Ch.9 were paying the Smith's more than $50k for an interview to sell predominantly to an Australian audience they would be crazy..!
But this is not the case and while $2M is not petty cash, it's likely a wise investment by owning the publishing rights to such a story for a global market, while it's also conceivable Ch.9 have secured financial guarantees from their overseas affiliates to partly fund this...

Last edited:
I cant blame the parents for taking the money , would be extremely hard to pass up that amount of money, it would set their family up for life, they can start a new life, whatever they need to do, but I do worry about little Cleo being involved. I wonder if they have had professional advice in regards to her well being etc. Anyway this is their pay day and no question they have earned it. Just hope it works out well for them in the long run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm the basics of dealing with PTSD start with talking about and or writing down (diary) about your trauma. Who you talk to can be a therapists, family, friend/s or even complete stranger/s, or a combination of all of them.

As long as the parents maintain any counselling CS is currently getting I see no reason why CS won't come out of all this on solid ground.

It’s sickens me to think that anyone would even contemplate putting Cleo on camera for the purposes of $ and a TV show. She would have already been interviewed by the expert child witnesses at the child assessment and interview team (Police). Do not poor this poor little girl through this. It would absolutely inhumane.

Last edited:
It’s sickens me to think that anyone would even contemplate putting Cleo on camera for the purposes of $ and a TV show. She would have already been interviewed by the expert child witnesses and the child assessment and interview team (Police). Do not poor this poor little girl through this. It would absolutely inhumane.

At best it’s concerning. Add to that Crime with Carl front page in the Hun everyday. Glamourising. !! Just want the best for the family and they relax into obscurity.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

At best it’s concerning. Add to that Crime with Carl front page in the Hun everyday. Glamourising. !! Just want the best for the family and they relax into obscurity.

Maybe this is best for the family. $2M is life changing and could set Cleo up with a university fund and rock solid education with lots of holidays etc as a kid.

We need to remember that they have willingly accepted the offer. Not on us to dictate how they process the events and move forward

Maybe this is best for the family. $2M is life changing and could set Cleo up with a university fund and rock solid education with lots of holidays etc as a kid.

We need to remember that they have willingly accepted the offer. Not on us to dictate how they process the events and move forward

Fair enough

'Veteran hack at The West Australian. Father, husband, Manchester United supporter. Tweets are mine not my employer's.'

'In a stunning development before magistrate Ben White in Carnarvon on Monday morning, Kelly’s lawyer revealed that the 36-year-old was ready to plea to the single charge of child stealing levelled against him.
And when that charge was put to him, the doll-obsessed loner uttered just one word: “Guilty”
Other charges faced by Kelly have been adjourned.'

'the wider public will have to wait a little longer for them to be made public, with just the bare charge against Kelly read to him via video link.
That charge was that on October 16 in Carnarvon, Terence Darrell Kelly forcibly took Cleo Grace Smith from her parents.'

'Kelly’s case will now be transferred to the District Court, in Perth, where a sentence mention hearing will be held – to determine when Kelly will actually learn his fate.
On that date, the full scale of Kelly’s crimes will be revealed — including his actions in the days leading up to the kidnap, his movements on the night, and how long he was in the Blowholes campsite.
What he did while he held Cleo in his Tonkin Street home, and the impact on Cleo over the 18 days she was held in Kelly’s home – as well as the effects on her immediate family — will also be considered.'

Last edited:
Hopefully this will be the start of a new trend, where more guilty criminals, plead guilty at the first available opportunity, and don't waste precious resources, and prolong the pain of the victims and everyone impacted, by holding out on not guilty pleas, if they are in fact guilty enough as charged.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back