Academy Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Shawn Watson - was probably the pick of the two big forwards fro Qld. He started really strongly with a couple of first quarter shots including one goal off a really nice lead and mark. He looks like he has a great set of hands. He is a strong bodied KP who does not mind throwing himself about and he can clear the way for others even when he doesn’t get it himself. He did not get involved much in the second half and I would have liked to see more hard leading. It could have been at that stage he realised that his mids were just going to bomb it in long and so he was sticking at home. Overall the mids did not help the leading forwards too much with their delivery. This was my first good look at Watson and there is a fair bit to work with and he could easily end up as a very nice complement for Lynch.

Big bloke. Agree about the hands, and caught the eye throughout the game by his effort and marking - great diving mark towards the end off a Rolls kick IIRC. Kicking for goal was a bit meh, and he's definitely not the quickest over the ground. I'm struggling to think of a comparison because that big slow forward has drifted out of the game.

Scheer - for the total game I would probably have had Scheer as my best for Qld. He started slowly but kept working all game and stood up when needed. He is a strong bodied mid who gives his team a real physical presence in the middle. He holds his feet well and reads the ball off hands nicely (probably not elite) and he gets to where he needs to go. He reminds me quite a bit of Armitage and that is what the GC can expect from him I think at AFL level. He did some nice things forward of the ball as well which was also encouraging.

Definitely stood out up forward when he moved there. Good marking and a nice kick, unlike the rest of the Qld forwards.

Williams - played out on a wing and was classy when he got it. He is pretty outside though and did go missing for periods of time. He is a thin guy who plays with the flair often associated with indigenous players (he is not indigenous as far as I am aware). He moves through traffic well and times his arrival at space well. He is another who could have worked to spread harder but there is a bit to work with with Williams. Should make the Allies squad and is draftable.

I really liked his game, was disappointed to find out he was in GC's academy.

Rounds out a pretty disappointing weekend for Lions fans. Thank God the reserves weren't playing too.

Allison a bit disappointing but Rolls and Watson were as good as expected if not more so. A few of the more marginal guys showed something and a couple did not. Overall I was not that disappointed and there is still time for Allison who has had an interrupted year.

Allison a bit disappointing but Rolls and Watson were as good as expected if not more so. A few of the more marginal guys showed something and a couple did not. Overall I was not that disappointed and there is still time for Allison who has had an interrupted year.

how do you feel about Dennis's development? should we be ready to cut our losses with Archie and move onto Dennis or space for both of them?

how do you feel about Dennis's development? should we be ready to cut our losses with Archie and move onto Dennis or space for both of them?

I think Dennis has come on enough to be given a chance as a rookie. I did not think he was up to it last year but I think he has shown enough development to suggest that he could become an AFL ruckman. Maybe not a dominating one but at least good enough to hold his own all things going well.

You are asking the wrong person about Archie. I was very anti his selection at the time and nothing has changed for me. He has been in the system for quite a while and has not shown anything to suggest that he could be a decent option in the ruck. I would be cutting my losses.

You are asking the wrong person about Archie. I was very anti his selection at the time and nothing has changed for me. He has been in the system for quite a while and has not shown anything to suggest that he could be a decent option in the ruck. I would be cutting my losses.

Been thinking about this tbh - do you think the club feels they owe him because they played a role in putting his basketball career on hold?

Been thinking about this tbh - do you think the club feels they owe him because they played a role in putting his basketball career on hold?

surely not, if he had a guaranteed shot of making it in basketball there is no way he would have changed sports, its all a bit of a media beat up how he just quit, doubt he had many options with it given it is a considerably harder sport to make the grade in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Qld squad for their next game against NT (academy prospects bolded, italics can't be prelisted, asterisks are under-agers):

b: Jacob Kenny (21) - Declan Watson (37) - Luke O'Sullivan (27)
hb: Connor West (35) - Max Spencer (24) - Jack Clayton* (18)
c: Reid Gordon* (29) - Brad Scheer (16) - Daniel Charlesworth (10)
hf: Josh Williams (19) - Elliot Himmelberg (20) - Jacob Allison (15)
f: Nick Kempe (2) - Shawn Watson (23) - Joel Perry Warren (17)
r: Nate Dennis (30) - Jack Bowes (3) - Jack Rolls (6)
i: Brodie Foster (13) - Curtis Marsden (7) - Jacob Dawson (4) - Luca Mason (26) - Harry Simington (25)

In: Kenny, West, Foster, Dawson, Simington
Out: Gareth Hunt, Connor Ballenden*, Ryan Dadds, Brayden Crossley, Campbell Walker

Joel Garner sounds good for next year's draft. Reckon he could add a fair bit of pace and would be well suited to the hard Gabba wicket.
Looking more like left arm orthodox to me -
Joel Garner.jpg

Attachments

• Joel Garner.jpg
    Joel Garner.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 8
Would expect Jayden Stephenson to be a top 10 pick next year, if not higher. Haven't seen him this year but played as a top up last year in TAC Cup and was very impressive. Fast, tallish, big leap, takes a strong mark and kicks running goals. Bit of the Birdman about him.

Rotation I'd imagine.

Looks like all of of the ins are top-agers, which makes sense. Those kids are facing their major crack to get drafted. Probably fair to rotate out the underage talents unless there is no-one who could viably step into their position.

Ballenden played for UQ in the QAFL yesterday. His team lost by 80, but wow is this kid good. We have a serious talent on our hands. Best underage forward I've seen in Qld since Riewoldt

Exciting to hear. What impressed you the most? Was it smarts, athleticism, skills and marking? Rather than just relying on size?

Allison rated 10-25 by Brett Anderson on SEN podcast. Rolls & Watson also in the mix.

Allison rated 10-25 by Brett Anderson on SEN podcast. Rolls & Watson also in the mix.

10-25 - Anderson really going out on a limb there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back