Actors With Only One Credited Role

Remove this Banner Ad

With this year marking 30 years since one of my all time favorite movies 'A League Of Their Own' about the women's baseball league in World War II was released I watched it on DVD the other night, and as always laughed at the antics of Evelyn's son Stilwell, surely one of the most obnoxious little brats to ever appear in a movie. Especially funny were scenes in which his mother tried to sell the idea of her son accompanying the team on road trips by saying, 'He's the sweetest little boy, everyone's going to just love him,' the bus driver quitting over Stilwell's bad behavior on the bus, Mae chasing the kid with her bat, a scene where Dottie comments sarcastically 'that she hopes she has five kids just like him' and where Stilwell taunts the team manager Jimmy and the girls by chanting 'You're going to lose, you're going to lose,' at them during matches.

Evelyn definitely didn't help matters by attempting (without success) to control her son by feeding him chocolate bars - not great parenting when the kid is hyperactive and overweight - and the unseen husband/father sounded like a complete arsehole. Note how nervous Evelyn is with yelling, saying that loud-mouthed teammate Doris reminds her of her husband, breaking down in tears where the coach Jimmy shouts at her for messing up a play (the no crying in baseball scene) and how the husband appears to be out of work. Can you think of a suitable job for an able-bodied man in 1943? I can. Anyway, despite it all Stilwell grows up to be a respectable family man as an adult when we see him aged in his 50s at the reunion.

The child actor who did such a great job at playing at one of the most memorable and obnoxious brats in a film was called Justin Scheller, and I looked him up on IMDB to see what else he had done, expecting to see other entries for him in TV shows and movies as a child, teenager and adult. Maybe I had even seen the slimmed-down older version in something and not realized it? However, three decades on the role of Stilwell is Scheller's only ever acting role.

Sandy Farina has only one on-screen role, as Peter Frampton's love interest in Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1978).

In the AFL, there are quite a few players who play only 1 senior game in their career. Some memorable ones include William James who only played in Richmond's 1920 premiership; Scott Spalding and Darren Bradshaw, the younger brothers of star players Earl Spalding and Daniel Bradshaw; Marc Lock, the Gold Coast development squad captain who played in the Suns' first game against Carlton 2011 but never again; Tasmanian star Luke Shackleton who only had 1 game for Collingwood in the early 2000s; Chris Hemley, a highly rated St. Kilda draftee in 1994 who appeared just once for the Saints in 1995; and Jason Millar, a promising Brisbane Bears' recruit who was injured in a car accident after his debut against North Melbourne in Round 2 1991 and never took the field again.

The careers of those in the acting and entertainment industries can also be fleeting. Which movie or TV show actors can you think of who had just one credited role in their careers? Here are some of mine:

Julia Winter - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory (2005) - When this remake was cast in 2005, the roles of the girls went to Anna Sophia Robb (Violet) and Julia Winter (Veruca). Coincidentally, the actress who played spoiled brat Veruca Salt in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory in 1971 was also named Julia, Julia Dawn Cole. While Anna Sophie Robb went on to be a big name star, Julia Winter has never acted in any role other than this one.

Tara Redepenning - Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999) - Some of the girls cast in this gem of a black comedy were already well known - Kirsten Dunst, Denise Richards and Brittany Murphy - the others were all unknowns. While one of the unknown young actresses - Amy Adams - got her big break in the film, most of the others went back into obscurity, having only a handful of small roles in the late 1990s and early 2000s. However for Tara Redepenning who played Molly, the sweet-natured red haired girl adopted by Japanese parents, it remains her only credited role.

Martha Swatek - Jaws 2 (1978) - When I first saw Jaws 2 I was about the same age of the younger Brody son Sean, and I was most envious when Sean is going out sailing with his older brother Michael and one of the other teenagers Marge volunteers for Sean to sail in her boat with her. Why didn't pretty 18-year-old girls ever take me out sailing with them? As it turned out I would have been happier staying on dry land anyway, as Marge loses her life saving Sean from the shark when it attacks. It was a pity Marge died, and the shark didn't eat another girl in the group instead who continuously screamed, cried and did useless things - was she the grand-daughter of Willie Scott from Temple of Doom perhaps? While young actress Martha Swatek did a great job of portraying Marge, it was her only ever movie role.

I used to work with Chris Hemley and played footy against his older brother. He's a nice bloke, big bugger.

This guy has one credited acting role, in Last Cab to Darwin. I wonder whether there will be others?

Taylor.PNG

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another one for the Roald Dahl movie file: Jeremy Irons’s son Samuel acted alongside his father in the lead role in Danny the Champion of the World.

That was his sole acting gig. He later became a photographer.

For a Tv Show I watched when I was at school. I went back and looked at a lot of these sorts of shows and a lot of actors I thought were ok didn't go on to do anything.

Spellbinder
Main character

There's a really good one, but I can't quite bring him to mind. He starred in this film, playing a dodgy character which I think may have been semi-autobiographical. He was a bent politician or something, might even have ended up in prison? French, I think? Italian, possibly? Does this ring any bells, by any chance?

Although, I know some people who might know... :D

The people who might have known didn't know! But I remembered it in the end.
Although, annoyingly, it's not, in fact, his only credit, according to imdb, there's a handful of others.

The films is Hommes, Femmes, Mode d'emploi, ("Men And Women: A User's Manual")and the actor is not a politician, but bent former Marseilles football boss Bernard Tapie. It was quite a big story back in 1992, if you remember.

Watching’Boys from Brazil’ the other night and the actor who portrayed the Adolf Hitler clones, Jeremy Black, his only film tv role

Remove this Banner Ad

Back