Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

And you can bet all of the tea in China that people (like you) screaming out for him "not to be conservative" will be the first to call for his sacking once we start getting 100 point losses.
You're missing the point of my original post. He hasn't had the balls to stick to the attacking game plan he said he wanted to impliment in the preseason. Bevo did and it paid off. We've got Gov, Barrass, Cole and Duggan who all will default to that "conservative" style because they've only ever had Simpson. Witherdon can't break a line and Hough is playing lock down roles. JJ is the closest line breaker we've had since Jetta and he's out of favour. If we don't get a centre clearance we struggle to even get it inside 50, let alone score because of this "conservative" shit. You're losing anyway, grow some balls and tell them to play on.

You're missing the point of my original post. He hasn't had the balls to stick to the attacking game plan he said he wanted to impliment in the preseason. Bevo did and it paid off. We've got Gov, Barrass, Cole and Duggan who all will default to that "conservative" style because they've only ever had Simpson. Witherdon can't break a line and Hough is playing lock down roles. JJ is the closest line breaker we've had since Jetta and he's out of favour. If we don't get a centre clearance we struggle to even get it inside 50, let alone score because of this "conservative" s**t. You're losing anyway, grow some balls and tell them to play on.
Bevo's style paid off once.

Surprise surprise, so did Simmo's in 2018.

Not really sure what your point is here.

Being continuously belted by 100+ points isn't good for morale. Players also need to learn when to switch up when appropriate.

We ended up winning the last quarter also.

What do players learn from having 20+ goals kicked over their head when they lose every single centre bounce?

You're missing the point of my original post. He hasn't had the balls to stick to the attacking game plan he said he wanted to impliment in the preseason. Bevo did and it paid off. We've got Gov, Barrass, Cole and Duggan who all will default to that "conservative" style because they've only ever had Simpson. Witherdon can't break a line and Hough is playing lock down roles. JJ is the closest line breaker we've had since Jetta and he's out of favour. If we don't get a centre clearance we struggle to even get it inside 50, let alone score because of this "conservative" s**t. You're losing anyway, grow some balls and tell them to play on.
After this round, we would've played 9 out of the 11 top sides.
We've been given the draw from hell.

Won 2 games already plus the percentage is a reasonable (compared to last year) 71.

Let's see where we are at the bye with North and the Saints at home.

We've improved heaps in contested possession and ground ball gets from last year.

I think you're missing the point TBH.
There's losing and there's losing.
Most supporters wanted to see the 100 point thrashings gone.

We played Collingwood away with our 2 best forwards, starting ruck and best midfielder out.
We would've lost that game last year by a 100 plus.

It's too simplistic to say "You're losing anyway, grow some balls and tell them to play on".
All sides go into damage control at times.

I am pretty sure you would be screaming for Simmo's head if we'd had 2 or 3 hundred point smashings, as we all would.

I'd hardly be using the Bulldogs, who are 11th on the ladder as a barometer.

Bevo's style paid off once.

Surprise surprise, so did Simmo's in 2018.

Not really sure what your point is here.

Being continuously belted by 100+ points isn't good for morale. Players also need to learn when to switch up when appropriate.

We ended up winning the last quarter also.

What do players learn from having 20+ goals kicked over their head when they lose every single centre bounce?
You're missing the point as well apparently.

You just have to show some balls and play on.

The best sides have gears and are able to switch game styles depending on circumstances and who has momentum

Simpson has stripped everything back over preseason and focused on contested ball and clearance work. Ball movement has been put in the background until we get those first focus areas right

So far this season there’s been clear improvement in our contested work, albeit as we saw against Collingwood there’s still plenty of work to do

We were getting smashed out of the centre and struggled to get the ball out of D50 when they didn’t score. Changing our ball movement to a more conservative chip and mark made more sense than trying to penetrate what was a very well setup Collingwood defence

Also, playing the way we did after half time was a divergence from how we have been playing this season so I see it as an outlier and not a pattern

The best sides have gears and are able to switch game styles depending on circumstances and who has momentum

Simpson has stripped everything back over preseason and focused on contested ball and clearance work. Ball movement has been put in the background until we get those first focus areas right

So far this season there’s been clear improvement in our contested work, albeit as we saw against Collingwood there’s still plenty of work to do

We were getting smashed out of the centre and struggled to get the ball out of D50 when they didn’t score. Changing our ball movement to a more conservative chip and mark made more sense than trying to penetrate what was a very well setup Collingwood defence

Also, playing the way we did after half time was a divergence from how we have been playing this season so I see it as an outlier and not a pattern
It also enabled the team to completely halt Collingwood's momentum form the first half. I see that as a win, personally.

Last year, we weren't able to do it whatsoever.

You're missing the point as well apparently.

You just have to show some balls and play on.

Referencing a game from 2015, which won a team a flag 8 years ago from 7th, is an interesting direction.

Circle jerk a bit more. This is the smug crap that encourages nuts like GoEaglesGo to start clogging up threads with rants about censorship etc

So far there’s been prohibitions on posting in this thread before the end of the first quarter in games, and now we have to wait until after the halfway mark of the season so we’ve had a chance to play all teams. Unless they’re pro-Simpson posts of course.

Circle jerk a bit more.
Ok

Michael Che Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

It also enabled the team to completely halt Collingwood's momentum form the first half. I see that as a win, personally.

Last year, we weren't able to do it whatsoever.
That was due to attrition with Collingwood having 1 fit player on the bench and taking their foot off the pedal.

That was due to attrition with Collingwood having 1 fit player on the bench and taking their foot off the pedal.
Possibly. WCE were a couple of players down also.

Fact is, you don't just do a run & gun style that clearly isn't working. You need to adapt to the game itself.

Referencing a game from 2015, which won a team a flag 8 years ago from 7th, is an interesting direction.
The point was Bevo implemented a new game plan in 2015 and stuck to it. It took until the end of 2016 for them to get it right but it paid dividends. The players obviously bought in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also suspect the improvements in contested possession are largely due to Yeo being fit and having a dominant patch and Reid coming in. Hard to gauge how much of that improvement comes from a coaching change.
100%

The point was Bevo implemented a new game plan in 2015 and stuck to it. It took until the end of 2016 for them to get it right but it paid dividends. The players obviously bought in.
They got extremely lucky to win a grand final from 7th.

Simpson did the same thing and won a flag in 2018.

What has Bevo done since 2016? He's probably a fantastic example of a coach not to emulate.

Also, one half against the reigning premier played conservatively to limit the damage isn't exactly a big deal.

Circle jerk a bit more. This is the smug crap that encourages nuts like GoEaglesGo to start clogging up threads with rants about censorship etc

So far there’s been prohibitions on posting in this thread before the end of the first quarter in games, and now we have to wait until after the halfway mark of the season so we’ve had a chance to play all teams. Unless they’re pro-Simpson posts of course.
Turn it up.
Poster makes what I considered to be an incorrect post about our game style and I challenged it.

Or is that not allowed anymore because you don't agree with it?

Did he stick to it all game, every game for two seasons?

Fifty-five down at half time. Continue with the style that got you to that point or change?

So Simmo changed things. Second half, only four goals (to two). I’ll take that against the reigning premiers - although they did have to travel. 😀

Besides remember we’ve had a tough draw so far. And then look at how some teams who might have smacked us have smacked ‘better’ teams by big or even bigger margins.

Turn it up.
Poster makes what I considered to be an incorrect post about our game style and I challenged it.

Or is that not allowed anymore because you don't agree with it?
It’s the whole concept of an opinion being considered an “incorrect” post, just because it’s not sufficiently conservative, the Miguel-esque pedantry over parts of that post as if it completely discredits the opinion, and then the backpatting afterwards.

Someone posts something factually incorrect - sure pull them up on it.

No one can know who is right - perhaps we would have kicked some more goals if we tried to move the ball out of defence faster, perhaps we would have lost by 100 instead of 70. Let people have a rant.

Also suspect the improvements in contested possession are largely due to Yeo being fit and having a dominant patch and Reid coming in. Hard to gauge how much of that improvement comes from a coaching change.
At the same time, by barely having enough players to field a team last year and we blame Simmo for: standards, lost the passion, crap gameplan, lost the players etc..

Then on the upwing we have to praise that it's all Simmos doing.

Can't have your cake and eat it at both ends.

The Bevo share was about implementing a game plan back in 2015 that was a zag. All the top 8 teams including us were copying Hawthorn and trying to kick our way through defensive structures, instead of hack kicking to a contest.
Bevo said we'll move it quickly. run it through by hands. Pretty much Worsfold v Roos and the flood in 2006. Anyway it worked. The Dogs win.
Can anyone tell me what our game plan is if we don't win centre clearance?

The Bevo share was about implementing a game plan back in 2015 that was a zag. All the top 8 teams including us were copying Hawthorn and trying to kick our way through defensive structures, instead of hack kicking to a contest.
Bevo said we'll move it quickly. run it through by hands. Pretty much Worsfold v Roos and the flood in 2006. Anyway it worked. The Dogs win.
Can anyone tell me what our game plan is if we don't win centre clearance?
Watch it sail over our heads for a goal, currently.

There isn't any focus on ball movement at present. Simmo has said this earlier on in the season. The emphasis is on winning clearances and contested ball, which the team's massively improved at. We've seen a lot more of the team going direct than we've seen them play chip-chip style this year. Reverting back to not get belted by a half, when we're missing our 2 best players, isn't really a big deal.

Watch it sail over our heads for a goal, currently.

There isn't any focus on ball movement at present. Simmo has said this earlier on in the season. The emphasis is on winning clearances and contested ball, which the team's massively improved at. We've seen a lot more of the team going direct than we've seen them play chip-chip style this year. Reverting back to not get belted by a half, when we're missing our 2 best players, isn't really a big deal.
You've just answered my question. There isn't any focus on ball movement, especially from back half turnovers. And you can't point to Simpson's contested focus as a success. The numbers are up by adding fit Yeo and Reid. That has stuff all to do with coaching. That's plug and play.

You've just answered my question. There isn't any focus on ball movement, especially from back half turnovers.

Yes, as Simmo has said, the focus is on winning the contest, which they've been doing far better than last year.

And you can't point to Simpson's contested focus as a success. The numbers are up by adding fit Yeo and Reid. That has stuff all to do with coaching. That's plug and play.

Yes, every club is going to look better when they have their best mid(Yeo) on the park and recruit players(Reid) to fill a clear list need(contested ball).

We're also getting significantly beaten in ruck contests, yet doing pretty well in contested ball, apart from the Collingwood game, where they were at least able to claw something back in the second half.

Seems like you're someone who wants to blame everything bad on the coach, yet attribute everything positive to everyone except Simmo.

You can't have it both ways.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back