Oppo Camp Adam Treloar (Traded to Bulldogs 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

What about if we do this... send Adz AND Grundy to GCS and ask GCS to pick up Broomhead as well. Ads has a great friend and teammate there, as well as his family. Grundy has his best mate there, and will get his $1m to play 120 minutes in the ruck like he wants to do. Pies get $2m salary cap relief. Cap issues fixed, stupid contract extensions fixed. We get GCS pick 5 and Brodie and next years 2nd and 3rd round picks. Enough for points that they need. We finish bottom 6 next year.
Grundy and AT do seem like very good friends.
Not sure if many people will agree with throwing Grundy into the deal especially since it seems we are not getting much additional value from the trade. I like you thinking outside the box though. It’s what we are all doing.
I have previously flagged trading him to Adelaide for pick 1 for the same reason of freeing up $1m in cap space and drafting Logan McDonald as the KPF we crave. Fair to say it was met with mixed reactions.

They are the figures being reported across the media from Jake Niall at The Age, Jon Ralph at the Herald sun, Tom Morris on Fox Footy and the AFL web-site. This is all we have to go on. Nobody but Treloar, his manager and the Pies would know what he is on. One would have expected the other clubs would have inquired of Treloar's salary and term of contract. However clubs have since baulked at the amount and length of Treloar's contract

Your comment of $900k for one season is also a total guess isn't it?. There is no report anywhere that the $900k was for one season. Clubs would not be baulking at the long-term contract if the high $$$ was only for one year

Reported by Jake Niall, Peter Ryan, Michael Gleeson and Sam McClure as being $900k over 5 years

AFL website stating Treloar is set to earn upwards of $800k per season for the next 5 years

Herald Sun web-site

The fairly clear impression I got from early on was that the two issues were his back ended spike for the last year of his current contract and the issues around his family situation over the next year or two.

The $900k for 2021 is a guess of course but it's not a stretch to go from a figure of around $650k per year to about $900k for 2022 if the narrative around him taking unders for a year or two is accurate.

At some point Tom Morris and / or Tom Browne (I think it was one of those two but it could have been someone else initially) came up with the "I think he could be on as much as $900k per year for his 5 year contract extension" and it just snowballed from there to the point where they were all repeating it.

Does anyone here honestly think Treloar is being paid what would amount to a top 10-15 highest level wage over the next 5 seasons across his age 28-32 years under any circumstances?

Last edited:
What we know/have heard;
  • Adz on $900K next year
  • Pies can’t fit this in the cap
  • Adz Family moving to Qld for 10 months
  • Pies think he can’t spend that amount of time without them
  • Adz wants to spend time up there during the season
  • Pies prepared to pay $200-$300K to another club to take him
This really is an easy fix…
  • Adz sits out a few games during the year e.g.
  • Not available for games prior to and following bye = 3 weeks with fam
  • Ditto pre-finals bye = 2 weeks (plays final)
  • Pick 4 games during year where opposition structure ok without him = 8 weeks with fam
  • Let him go up a week early and stay longer after our Qld game = 2 weeks with fam
  • Have an odd trip up there when there is an extended break = 1 week with Fam
  • Kim does same when they play Magpies\Vixens in Melb = 4 weeks with fam
  • Boom! 10 months apart is now only 6, with no lengthy period
  • Adz forgoes the match payment for these games.
  • $900K for the season (H&A) = $39K/game => 6 games @$39K = $235K
IN
  • $235K cap saving
  • Keep a much loved and important player
  • Don’t pay this amount for him to make another club stronger
  • Show the world how progressive and caring we are
  • Don’t lose revenue from thousands of microwaved memberships
  • Stick it up the f*wit journos
OUT

Nothing, everyone’s a winner!

You’re welcome.
Except we have a part time footballer taking up a spot on the list, still costing north of $650K (based on your figures.) Totally unrealistic and unacceptable imo.

The fairly clear impression I got from early on was that the two issues were his back ended spike for the last year of his current contract and the issues around his family situation over the next year or two.

The $900k for 2021 is a guess of course but it's not a stretch to go from a figure of around $650k per year to about $900k for 2022 if the narrative around him taking unders for a year or two is accurate.

At some point Tom Morris and / or Tom Browne (i.think it was one of those two but it could have been someone else initially) came up with the "I think he could be on as much as $900k per year for his 5 year contract extension" and it just snowballed from there to the pint where they were all repeating it.

Does anyone here honestly think Treloar is being paid what would amount to a top 10-15 highest level wage over the next 5 seasons across his age 28-32 years under any circumstances?
I agree with what you are saying.

I too believed that the $900k was for one year only. However, every media outlet is running with it being $900k for 5 years, including Jake Niall who I do respect as a Journalist. Clubs have indicated the same when they indicate the contract is too high. Personally I do not think he is worth more than $550k.

But if reports that we are significantly over-paying Cox and Phillips and that Beams last 2 years of his contract was back-ended, then it wouldn't surprise me what the Keystone Cops at Collingwood are paying Treloar, and therefore it would be unsurprising why we have salary cap issues (and have not been able to trade for anyone of any note over the past 4-5 years) and why they now deem Treloar expendable.

20201107_173925.jpg
Screenshot_20201107-174006_Twitter.jpg This was a tweet from Luke Mason asking Sam Darley if there's any merit to the latest from Tom Morris about how Adz had told everyone he's going. My reply below is what happened (Sam tweeted it was fake news but later deleted the tweet), and Sam himself "liked" my reply, make of that what you will.

I agree with what you are saying.

I too believed that the $900k was for one year only. However, every media outlet is running with it being $900k for 5 years, including Jake Niall who I do respect as a Journalist. Clubs have indicated the same when they indicate the contract is too high. Personally I do not think he is worth more than $550k.

But if reports that we are significantly over-paying Cox and Phillips and that Beams last 2 years of his contract was back-ended, then it wouldn't surprise me what the Keystone Cops at Collingwood are paying Treloar, and therefore it would be unsurprising why we have salary cap issues (and have not been able to trade for anyone of any note over the past 4-5 years) and why they now deem Treloar expendable.

600-750k Is about right for Treloar.

What about if we do this... send Adz AND Grundy to GCS and ask GCS to pick up Broomhead as well. Ads has a great friend and teammate there, as well as his family. Grundy has his best mate there, and will get his $1m to play 120 minutes in the ruck like he wants to do. Pies get $2m salary cap relief. Cap issues fixed, stupid contract extensions fixed. We get GCS pick 5 and Brodie and next years 2nd and 3rd round picks. Enough for points that they need. We finish bottom 6 next year.
What do GCS do with Witts in that scenario? He is their captain.

Indefensible action from Collingwood. Some of my passion has been lost. Really feel for Adz.

The club is always bigger than any individual.
Collingwood existed before Adam Treloar
It will exist long after him.

View attachment 1005745
View attachment 1005746This was a tweet from Luke Mason asking Sam Darley if there's any merit to the latest from Tom Morris about how Adz had told everyone he's going. My reply below is what happened (Sam tweeted it was fake news but later deleted the tweet), and Sam himself "liked" my reply, make of that what you will.
the Luke Mason that used to work at the club? Why wouldn't he just ask his connections privately..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well put.

This is a sh.t show and I feel sorry for AT. All the drama and rumours are ringing alarm bells at other clubs, they won’t want to pay anywhere near what Collingwood hopes. I predict Collingwood will be paying 50% of his salary. Every day that passes he becomes less and less attractive. Like a fish rotting on a pier.

Well put.
Why? This is a massive stuff up. Don’t sweep it under the carpet. We only get better if we learn from this, and take action against those who allowed this to happen.

That's such a cop out. You don't care how the club treats a player (who has done everything right by the club) because they're "bigger than an individual"?? **** the club if that's their thinking.

Why? This is a massive stuff up. Don’t sweep it under the carpet. We only get better if we learn from this, and take action against those who allowed this to happen.
Because the club is bigger than the individual, and the club has existed long before, and will exist long after Treloar leaves. I happen to agree with HFF, and I also think there’s far too much hysteria around the whole situation.

Furthermore, it won’t be altering my passion for Collingwood one iota.
To be very clear, I don’t think it is an ideal situation by any means, but what can we do about it?

Last edited:
My biggest gripe isn't the club wanting to trade Ads, its how the club has gone about it.
If the club was really interested in his mental state with his family living in qld then surely the club doesn't entertain the idea of trading him to a Melbourne club. Imo Kim choosing to play netball in qld really gave the pies the excuse they needed to shift him out the door.

My biggest gripe isn't the club wanting to trade Ads, its how the club has gone about it.
If the club was really interested in his mental state with his family living in qld then surely the club doesn't entertain the idea of trading him to a Melbourne club. Imo Kim choosing to play netball in qld really gave the pies the excuse they needed to shift him out the door.

He’s a grown man.
If he wishes to be stay in Victoria because he thinks he can make it work, we won’t stand in his way.
We don’t believe him hence why we will send him wherever he wishes and not keep him here.

He’s a grown man.
If he wishes to be stay in Victoria because he thinks he can make it work, we won’t stand in his way.
We don’t believe him hence why we will send him wherever he wishes and not keep him here.
Or the club could just admit they stuffed the Salary cap and overpaid players, but if you buy the clubs excuse all good then.

Or the club could just admit they stuffed the Salary cap and overpaid players, but if you buy the clubs excuse all good then.

Why because of the narrative and doomsday scenario the media is rattling every day?
Do you believe everything you read in the paper?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back