North Melbourne: B.Brown 6, Zurhaar 3, Thomas 2, Anderson,
BEST
Essendon:
Merrett, McDonald-Tipungwuti, McKenna, Saad, Gleeson, Parish
North Melbourne: B.Brown, Tarrant, Simpkin, Williams, Polec, Zurhaar
INJURIES
Essendon:
Hurley (AC joint)
North Melbourne: McDonald (fractured ankle), Larkey (heart palpatations)
Reports: Nil
Umpires: Chamberlain, Fleer, Wallace
Official crowd: 45,682 at Marvel Stadium

AFL 2019 Round 17 - Essendon v North Melbourne

ESSENDON 4.4 6.11 11.13 12.14 (86)
NORTH MELBOURNE 6.3 7.5 9.7 12.9 (81)
GOALS
Essendon:
McDonald-Tipungwuti 4, Stringer 3, M.Brown 2, McKenna, Laverde, Langford,
North Melbourne: B.Brown 6, Zurhaar 3, Thomas 2, Anderson,
BEST
Essendon:
Merrett, McDonald-Tipungwuti, McKenna, Saad, Gleeson, Parish
North Melbourne: B.Brown, Tarrant, Simpkin, Williams, Polec, Zurhaar
INJURIES
Essendon:
Hurley (AC joint)
North Melbourne: McDonald (fractured ankle), Larkey (heart palpatations)
Reports: Nil
Umpires: Chamberlain, Fleer, Wallace
Official crowd: 45,682 at Marvel Stadium
Dylan Clarke’s performance not considered worthy of being in Essendon’s bests here is quite mystifying. Was definitely more influential to the result than Parish.

Dylan Clarke’s performance not considered worthy of being in Essendon’s bests here is quite mystifying. Was definitely more influential to the result than Parish.

So will the narrative continue this week about North being the form team of the competition?

I don’t think losing to an Essendon side minus one of their best midfielders & captain (Heppell), ruckman (Bellchambers), best key forward (Daniher), reigning B&F winner (Devon Smith), most important lock down defender this year and perfect Ben Brown match up (Ambrose) and losing their best defender for the second half (Hurley) for the second half really constitutes being the “form team of the competition”. Would never have a better chance of winning that game.

Essendon the only team with injuries? Nope... far from it... but a fair chunk of quality missing.

Credit to Rhyce Shaw though as that was a much improved team from the rabble I saw at the start of the year.

JeanLucGoddard you were right. We didn't need Belly or Draper in the end after all. Z Clarke was enough to account for your boy. :thumbsu:

Mate, Ray Chamberlain was your best centre square player.

The spread from your actual listed players was great though.

I do find some interesting circularity in the fact that it was a bloke who only got a chance because of the doping suspensions that was your best player.

I do find some interesting circularity in the fact that it was a bloke who only got a chance because of the doping suspensions that was your best player.
Zerrett wasn't a top up mate.

Mate, Ray Chamberlain was your best centre square player.

The spread from your actual listed players was great though.

North lost the free kick count because they are a dirty team. Always enjoyable beating teams who lack skill and flare.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North lost the free kick count because they are a dirty team. Always enjoyable beating teams who lack skill and flare.

North lost the free kick count because Ray Chamberlain loves playing to the crowd. I could pick out multiple instances where we were "robbed" but meh, that's footy, the reality is that the count was 17-8 at one point and no team is ever genuinely "getting" 100 per cent more frees than the other.

As for being a "dirty team", North are in the positive for the season for frees.

But anyway, apart from one game in 1993 between Fitzroy and Adelaide, I've never seen a game decided by the umpires, and this one wasn't.

If Ben Brown kicked straight when walking into goal, all Ray's showboating to the Essendon member's wing wouldn't have meant crap.

Both sides sprayed multiple chances, both sides should have put each other way.

Given the disaster the season was when we met at Good Friday, we've turned it around brilliantly.

And your blokes are going to be listening for Cam Zurhaar's footsteps for many years to come.

2 great games this week so far.
Roos looked to have worn out the Dons but Dons have a bit of x factor, the winning goal was thrilling. And Walla needed to nail it after mucking up a few minutes earlier. Immediate redemption for the little dynamo.

North lost the free kick count because Ray Chamberlain loves playing to the crowd. I could pick out multiple instances where we were "robbed" but meh, that's footy, the reality is that the count was 17-8 at one point and no team is ever genuinely "getting" 100 per cent more frees than the other.

As for being a "dirty team", North are in the positive for the season for frees.

But anyway, apart from one game in 1993 between Fitzroy and Adelaide, I've never seen a game decided by the umpires, and this one wasn't.

If Ben Brown kicked straight when walking into goal, all Ray's showboating to the Essendon member's wing wouldn't have meant crap.

Both sides sprayed multiple chances, both sides should have put each other way.

Given the disaster the season was when we met at Good Friday, we've turned it around brilliantly.

And your blokes are going to be listening for Cam Zurhaar's footsteps for many years to come.
Most of that I agree with.. It's just when you go in hard which they do and play they body which they do your gunna give up free kicks to teams like us. They would be better served to tackle a bit more instead. Can remember multiple high knocks to Sheil. Umpires didnt cost you the game, we just have a far superior midfield.

The roos definitely missed cunnington last night, if he played then the midfield battle wouldn't have been so one sided.
What do you mean? He played, and he executed his decoy role perfectly. Kept 7th gamer Clarke to only 13 touches and 12 tackles, and allowed his teammates to "succeed".

Oh yeah? You know how you take the umpires out of the game? Play better football.

#meatgrinder :$:$:$

Umpires hey...

Let’s be honest, we didn’t execute well and kept North in it.

Smashed them in clearances, centre clearances and inside 50s.

Our midfield was too tough and too quick for a B-grade outfit like North. We should’ve won comfortably but kicked poorly, which nearly cost us the game. Need to sharpen up.

And the attempted stomach punch on Zerrett on the umpy's blind side that slid up and caught him high? Thug.

Oh yeah? You know how you take the umpires out of the game? Play better football.

#meatgrinder :$:$:$

Enjoy your win by a kick in the dying seconds against a team with a caretaker coach.

To maybe make the finals, though Cam Zurhaar has probably ensured you won't with his shoulder if not his boot, in a season where you thought top 4 was a real chance.

And the attempted stomach punch on Zerrett on the umpy's blind side that slid up and caught him high? Thug.

You mean the one where he punched the actual ball?

The roos definitely missed cunnington last night, if he played then the midfield battle wouldn't have been so one sided.

This. You guys have very successfully blanketed Cunners the last couple of times we've played.

Astute coaching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back