Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 12 - Demons v Blues Fri June 2nd 7:50pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 25 39.1%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 27 42.2%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Overrated midfield.
Slow - both footspeed and ball movement.
Predictable going forward.
Ordinary supporting cast to 2 main forwards.
Saad only player with pace who plays with dare, breaking lines has been worked out.
So many bog average players. Probably more than any other team.
Walsh can't locate a team mates chest

Carlton just needs to do circle work for 2 hours a night with 3 balls, where Voss can yell out “switch!!!!!”.

Seriously they are just stagnate with no run…
They have to play on at all costs … and start getting their outside run going.

They should have stuck with Bolton….

Armchair Experts talking about how good Melbourne are, and how they would be the third favourites for the Premiership, while ignoring the fact that they have only won against 1 top 8 team this season and lost to 4 others…
It’ll be 2 against the top 8 after next Monday, the Armchair experts have already put that in the book.

Carlton have so many problems, its hard to know what they need to fix first.
They were working their backsides off last night and made it their mission to pinpoint Melbourne backmen.
Harry McKay is a complete liability, if you take a strong mark on the lead and are 40M on a slight angle, your first thought shouldn't be "snapshot".

I could just imagine all the great forwards past and present cringing when they saw him set up for that and then not make the distance.

Melbourne aren't much to write home about either but they just need to win enough to make top 4 at the moment, not much point in going hard at the start of June.

I was surprised when Curnow marked and goaled.
I thought he wasn't playing.

I thought Melbourne's defense did all right, they have been down on their usual miserlyness.

Dees forwards & that connectivity still their issue. 40 forward half turnovers that resulted only in 5 scores… Pickett, Spargo, Fritsch don’t do enough… Tommy Mac hardly gets 5 possies a game so they don’t have confidence in him or Ben Brown. Joel Smith nothing last night… so they rely on Roy boy who isn’t ready yet….

Went along last night with the Carlton supporting missus. She's now resigned to the fact they're going to lose. Zero confidence, zero flair, no connection between the defensive zone, thru the midfield to the forwards. McKay's kick around the corner from 35 metres out on a 45 deg angle was the last straw - when they were looking like challenging. They're in a world of trouble - a lot of high-end picks, long contracts, and a bunch of fringe players who aren't good enough and a coach seemingly without a cohesive game plan.

YET another boring low scoring bore ridiculous number of mistakes the low scoring keeps teams in it longer but it is disguising the fact the game is craap compared to what it was made my own highlights package....the ads

That Spargo duck was worse than any free kick Ginnivan has played for in his career. And he tried to defend it in the media. Poor form
There has been worse

But it was s**t from Spargo and is something he continually does every week

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’ll be 2 against the top 8 after next Monday, the Armchair experts have already put that in the book.

I like the confidence but there is nothing there to suggest this will happen. Cannot remember the last time Melbourne beat Collingwood at the MCG and don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Although De Goey getting suspended might help Melbourne’s chances so who knows?

Last edited:
I seriously think the Blues list is nowhere near as deep as it needs to be - this is not a coaching issue.

Went along last night with the Carlton supporting missus. She's now resigned to the fact they're going to lose. Zero confidence, zero flair, no connection between the defensive zone, thru the midfield to the forwards. McKay's kick around the corner from 35 metres out on a 45 deg angle was the last straw - when they were looking like challenging. They're in a world of trouble - a lot of high-end picks, long contracts, and a bunch of fringe players who aren't good enough and a coach seemingly without a cohesive game plan.

Agree on absolutely everything…but suspect there is a game plan…but the players can’t follow it.

We should have torched the blues. We couldn’t miss early in the season. Now struggling with accuracy. We really did well in defence and the contested side of the game. Just got to keep working on tidying up the forward entries. Loved May’s job on Curnow. And some of the young defenders did a great job. Rivers McVee and Bowey.
Can’t see us beating the pies next week.

mind boggling comment. He's having a career year.

Disposal is average and makes poor decisions. Was pretty noticeable last 2 weeks. Rates average for both effective kicks and effective disposals.
Disposal efficiency rates ok, but it’s a useless stat when they count long kicks as effective.
Young kid tho, does plenty right as a defender.

Disposal is average and makes poor decisions. Was pretty noticeable last 2 weeks. Rates average for both effective kicks and effective disposals.
Disposal efficiency rates ok, but it’s a useless stat when they count long kicks as effective.
Young kid tho, does plenty right as a defender.
He's never going to be a Jake Bowey type with his decisions. but not many players have his size and speed combination. Nonetheless, he's averaging 20 touches a game and he takes the game on. He's a run and carry type and he'll be featuring pretty highly in our BnF I think. He's still having a career year. Not to have a dig but I'd rather Rivers running 20 and kicking 60m then Hayden Young and Luke Ryan chipping it around going nowhere. All which are also counted as effective kicks. It's a flawed stat.

He's never going to be a Jake Bowey type with his decisions. but not many players have his size and speed combination. Nonetheless, he's averaging 20 touches a game and he takes the game on. He's a run and carry type and he'll be featuring pretty highly in our BnF I think. He's still having a career year. Not to have a dig but I'd rather Rivers running 20 and kicking 60m then Hayden Young and Luke Ryan chipping it around going nowhere. All which are also counted as effective kicks. It's a flawed stat.

Mostly fair, just my opinion that he’s been average with decision making and disposal. Might be a product of Melbs forward structure who knows.

Bringing Freo players into it is irrelevant, but Rivers isn’t half the player of Young and Ryan. Ryan’s a completely different player so the comparison isn’t worth talking about.
Young is similar and far more dangerous with the ball.

Mostly fair, just my opinion that he’s been average with decision making and disposal. Might be a product of Melbs forward structure who knows.

Bringing Freo players into it is irrelevant, but Rivers isn’t half the player of Young and Ryan. Ryan’s a completely different player so the comparison isn’t worth talking about.
Young is similar and far more dangerous with the ball.
Yes Young's disposals are better. Not denying that. Rivers is a very good young player though. I think you're underrating him imo. I mean, you said he was having a poor season yet was having a career year and flying so clearly you haven't been watching dees game. Or maybe you watched him only against Freo where he was poor.

Young averages 22 touches and Rivers 20. But Young takes kickins so they basically average the same. Throw into the mix that Fremantle play a chippy chip game style. If Young was at Melbourne he'd be averaging probably 17-18 touches a game. To say he is twice as good is not remotely close. He's been one of our most consistent players this year in a season where no-one on our list has improved on last year. He's not as good as Hayden Young but he does some things better. He's already been thrown in to some cba's etc something that Young never has any scope to do.

Yes Young's disposals are better. Not denying that. Rivers is a very good young player though. I think you're underrating him imo. I mean, you said he was having a poor season yet was having a career year and flying so clearly you haven't been watching dees game. Or maybe you watched him only against Freo where he was poor.

Young averages 22 touches and Rivers 20. But Young takes kickins so they basically average the same. Throw into the mix that Fremantle play a chippy chip game style. If Young was at Melbourne he'd be averaging probably 17-18 touches a game. To say he is twice as good is not remotely close. He's been one of our most consistent players this year in a season where no-one on our list has improved on last year. He's not as good as Hayden Young but he does some things better. He's already been thrown in to some cba's etc something that Young never has any scope to do.

I watch a fair bit of Melbourne. Perhaps I’ve just notice rivers mistakes more as a neutral.

Young has plenty of scope to go in the middle.

When do you think Young will attend cba's? I'm yet to see it.

oh don't worry I notice Rivers mistakes too. But I take the good with the bad.

I’m not sure to be honest. He may never purely due to his ability as an intercept/rebound defender.

I’d love to see him in there a few rotations a game. His kicking in a more attacking position forward of center would be great.

Back