Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 16 - Lions v Tigers Thurs June 29th 7:20pm AEST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 3 2.9%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 29 28.2%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 18 17.5%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 47 45.6%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That's not really an answer, would you rather have it or not if given the choice?
Would have thought my answer was profoundly and implicitly clear in context. Do you really need everything condensed to a monosyllabic yes or no?

Lions are starting their run to finals. Four teams are genuine contenders this year.

Joe Daniher is one of the most entertaining footballers in the league.

Hopper and Taranto are not magic beans.

Have I missed anything?
I reckon Lions are genuine contenders if they can avoid Melbourne or Collingwood on GF day.
Won't beat either of them at the MCG in a PF or GF, but would be a chance against Port Adelaide who look the only other side capable of making it.

A home PF is critical to the Lions, but to be fair, it is for most teams.

I reckon Lions are genuine contenders if they can avoid Melbourne or Collingwood on GF day.
Won't beat either of them at the MCG in a PF or GF, but would be a chance against Port Adelaide who look the only other side capable of making it.

Weird given we beat them both and beat Melbourne at the G last year but okay :)

Last year. Is that the 2023 finals series?

o_O

We beat them at the G last year and are a better team than the Demons this year. Still, I think if they find form they'd be a bigger threat than Port and Collingwood.

o_O

We beat them at the G last year and are a better team than the Demons this year. Still, I think if they find form they'd be a bigger threat than Port and Collingwood.
Maybe, I do think the Lions are a contender as I said, but there's some caveats and like any flag team a few things going your way with the luck of the draw would help.

It's my prediction, but I think it's not an outrageous call to make, I'm not confident in the Lions come PF/GF at the MCG against an MCG top 4 team if it occurred.

Maybe, I do think the Lions are a contender as I said, but there's some caveats and like any flag team a few things going your way with the luck of the draw would help.

It's my prediction, but I think it's not an outrageous call to make, I'm not confident in the Lions come PF/GF at the MCG against an MCG top 4 team if it occurred.

I think any of the four contenders can win it. It really comes down to who hits form at the right time. Home and away doesn't really matter all that much.

I think the reason no one seriously thinks you’ll win it is you can’t win at the g. Your only hope I think is grabbing top 2 and getting a home prelim. Make a grand final and anything could happen on the day.
The MCG “hoodoo” is a problem, except when it isn’t a problem, like the Semi Final last year when we beat reigning premiers, Melbourne. You are 100% correct dean33 - the Lions finishing top 2 is a massive advantage, because an away Qualifying Final against first or second is not a good way to start your campaign. Neither is an away Preliminary Final followed by a Grand Final at the MCG. Last year after we beat Melbourne at the MCG, we backed up in the Prelim against Geelong at the MCG and they pulled our pants down. It’s the backing up away again that gets us. For what it’s worth, I think we will beat Melbourne easily in two weeks at the MCG.

Lions are starting their run to finals. Four teams are genuine contenders this year.

Joe Daniher is one of the most entertaining footballers in the league.

Hopper and Taranto are not magic beans.

Have I missed anything?
Daniher is the Jerry Lewis of the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was it just me or did that game have a s**t atmosphere, even from the start.
It was unusually cold last night by Brisbane standards.

Don’t count that game, Melbourne were a shadow of a team by years end. Winner of Richmond and Brisbane were always going to beat them.
Let me guess, you backed Brisbane and made a killing? We were $5-1 and you'd have to go back a long time to see a team winning a final at longer odds. To say that retrospectively is ridiculous.

Last edited:
No one who has drunkenly sung Country Roads with your arm around a complete stranger in an elimination final win at the Gabba would say such heresy. In any case, it doesn't come at the expense of "crowd atmosphere". It's not like they hit a button that mutes the crowd.

But that's okay, I don't how understand Tiger fans could unironically cheer for a bloke like Nick Vlastuin. But I don't need to. I'm not a Tiger fan.

Footy is an irrational game. You do you, boo.
What's the problem with Vlastuin?

Genuine question, I didn't know oppo fans disliked him.

I rarely ever pot your club mate.
I called you a weak top four team earlier in the week. You smash Richmond and I haven't heard the end of it.
Now I supposedly pot Lions all the time.

This whole scenario is Groundhog Day. How often do you finish top four and then look an entirely different animal in the finals?
Until you actually do something, general public won't ever take the Lions seriously.

Not sure we’re “an entirely different animal” in finals. This is somewhat of a myth, IMO.

2019:
  • dominated Richmond early (4.6 to 3.0 at QT), dominated most of the stats for the game, but not the one that mattered most; accuracy
  • lost to GWS by 3 (they went on to beat the Pies at the MCG the following week)

2020:
  • accounted for eventual premier Richmond
  • dominated by Geelong

2021:
  • lost to eventual premier (Melbourne)
  • lost to WB by 1 (they went on to trounce Port at AO the following week)

2022:
  • beat Richmond
  • beat Melbourne (at the MCG)
  • dominated by Geelong

From 2019-2021, we did play all 6 grand finalists.

While all losses were disappointing at the time, with the benefit of hindsight, I only see the losses to Geelong as both really poor… which probably explains your view of “us in finals” - your firsthand experience of us has not been all that inspiring!

Fortunately, it looks like our bogey side might not make it this year.. But neither will our bunnies.

Not sure we’re “an entirely different animal” in finals. This is somewhat of a myth, IMO.

2019:
  • dominated Richmond early (4.6 to 3.0 at QT), dominated most of the stats for the game, but not the one that mattered most; accuracy
  • lost to GWS by 3 (they went on to beat the Pies at the MCG the following week)

2020:
  • dominated by Geelong

2021:

2022:
  • beat Richmond
  • dominated by Geelong

While all losses were disappointing at the time, with the benefit of hindsight, I only see the losses to Geelong as both really poor… which probably explains your view of “us in finals” - your firsthand experience of us has not been all that inspiring!

Fortunately, it looks like our bogey side might not make it this year.. But neither will our bunnies.

2-4 at the Gabba during this premiership window?

Trust me, no one is fearing the Brisbane Lions in week 1 of the finals.

2019:

2020:
  • dominated by Geelong

2021:

2022:
  • beat Richmond
  • dominated by Geelong

2019 - Dominated Richmond early but eventually lost by 47 points
2020- beat a lynchless Richmond by 15 points, lynch plays tigers win.
2022- ark decision got you over the line.

2-4 at the Gabba during this premiership window?

Trust me, no one is fearing the Brisbane Lions in week 1 of the finals.

I’d consider that an oversimplification, you can call it what you’d like, of course.

Two Gabba games lost by less than a kick, against eventual grand finalists - could very easily be 4-2.

W/L record aside, I’m comfortable saying we were more than competitive in 5 of the 6, with one poor showing against Geelong in the 2020 prelim.

Such is life. 😊

2019 - Dominated Richmond early but eventually lost by 47 points
2020- beat a lynchless Richmond by 15 points, lynch plays tigers win.
2022- ark decision got you over the line.
Ark (sic) decision? I thought 4 or 5 Richmond defenders allowing Daniher out the back to kick the winning goal got us over the line - at least that was definitive.

I would genuinely like to know if trolling responses aside, the Lions fans enjoy the songs after the goals that the ground has created.

Personally, I'm happy just for crowd atmosphere whenever I attend a game, and hearing the same songs over and over even when they are my team scoring goals becomes irritating. Hearing that every week regardless of the circumstances I'd find annoying.

I feel it's just something they accept, but if you had the choice of having it or not, how many would actually choose to have the songs option vs not?

Personally I enjoy the songs after goals. Having said that there are some I never tire of hearing (John Denver) and some I can't stand (Let It Go)

Back