Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 4 - Eagles v Demons Sun April 9th 5:20pm AEST/3:20pm WST (OS)

Who will win and by how much?

• Eagles by a goal or less

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eagles by 7 - 20

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • Eagles by a lot

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 56 77.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok. Have fun with that bright future. If you believe that was ‘holding their own’, good for you.

West Coast have always had an amazing culture. Aside from the rampant drug culture, the complaining about hubs, and the thumbing of their noses at COVID protocols to instead go clubbing.

I’m sure that wonderful culture will see them through this minor blip just fine.

Once all those injury prone late 20s and early 30s players are back it will all right itself.
Dude your team tanked for 20 years to nab one Victorian flag. Will be another 50 years (and 30 top ten picks) before the next one as well

Respect to the Eagles for putting in the effort, also respect to Melbourne for not putting in the effort, who wants to getting injured in a training run? Nice day for it!

Dude your team tanked for 20 years to nab one Victorian flag.
You really think Eagles were trying when they won four games in 2008? The year after they finished third and two years after a flag? You must be stupid if you think Eagles were trying in 2008.

Did ok out of it too, ended up with Shuey as a priority pick, think he scored a "Victorian" flag out of it too!

3 consecutive behinds to start the second half that could have brought it to within 2 or 3 goals. The game was definitely still up for grabs despite the copium you’re feeding yourself by saying your blokes barely tried. Pushed them all the way for 2 and a half quarters after a rough week. All you can ask for and as a Dees fans I’d be annoyed at that performance

Attachments

• ResizedP_1606942873532_157_16_copyImage(1).gif
    ResizedP_1606942873532_157_16_copyImage(1).gif
    254.8 KB · Views: 15

I think West Coast deserve some credit for still trying to play a positive attacking game style, instead of some super-defensive flood-y keepings-off rubbish just to limit the scoreboard damage.

But that meant they got killed on turnovers....Melbourne got some absolute dollies due to facing basically no defence at times.
Supporters would much rather see this also.

The switch to defence will come when the players are more comfortable executing the gameplan, as well as the younger blokes getting another couple of pre-seasons in.

The eagles pushed us today in the first half. But reckon it was hard for them to keep up that for a whole game. We put the foot down when we needed to.
We did it pretty easy in the end. Take the 4 points and move on to next week.

If roles were reversed I have no doubt we win today. Drop 7 premiership players and have the rest coming off running out a full half with no rotations against a full strength best 22
This gem deserves some more scrutiny.

Do you think Melbourne were at full strength?

Melbourne was already missing four premiership players (Gawn, Brown, Salem and Harmes).

Who are the seven premiership players West Coast were missing?

Melbourne played a 1 gamer, a 3 gamer, a 14 gamer and a 27 gamer. Then a bunch around the 50 game mark.

West Coast’s strength and conditioning team are incompetent if they couldn’t compensate with lesser in-week training loads for the additional work players did against Freo.

You can pretend there was a massive difference in who the teams had missing, and the inexperience of the West Cost team, but it wasn’t as big as you think.

West Coast are simply a much poorer team.

Melbourne was already missing four premiership players (Gawn, Brown, Salem and Harmes).

Melbourne played a 1 gamer, a 3 gamer, a 14 gamer and a 27 gamer. Then a bunch around the 50 game mark.

West Coast’s strength and conditioning team are incompetent if they couldn’t compensate with lesser in-week training loads for the additional work players did against Freo.

You can pretend there was a massive difference in who the teams had missing, and the inexperience of the West Cost team, but it wasn’t as big as you think.

NicNat to be fair didn't play in the Grand Final but I would say he is still Best 22.
Shuey obviously still best 22. Premiership player.
Sheed still best 22. Premiership player.
Jeremy McGovern. Premiership player.
Jamie Cripps. Premiership player.
Liam Ryan. Premiership player.
So it's only 5 and our first choice ruckman. Plus Witherden who is also best 22. So let's say that we were clearly the weaker team on paper and on the field. Fully expected a flogging and we got one.

Last edited:
Respect to the Eagles for putting in the effort, also respect to Melbourne for not putting in the effort, who wants to getting injured in a training run? Nice day for it!

You really think Eagles were trying when they won four games in 2008? The year after they finished third and two years after a flag? You must be stupid if you think Eagles were trying in 2008.

Did ok out of it too, ended up with Shuey as a priority pick, think he scored a "Victorian" flag out of it too!
Yeah fair enough we did lose Judd and Cousins that pre-season so I am sure that had nothing to do with it at all. Seem to recall a bit of controversy surrounding Cuzzy leaving.

Blah, Blah ,Blah.

Blah, Blah ,Blah.
So you agree with Coaster7’s fantasy that Melbourne were full strength today?

And that West Coast were missing seven non-existent premiership players.

And if the positions were reversed West Coast would win?

And West Coast were right in the game until they ran out of legs (despite kicking their highest goal tally in the last quarter)?

So you agree with Coaster7’s fantasy that Melbourne were full strength today?

And that West Coast were missing seven non-existent premiership players.

And if the positions were reversed West Coast would win?

And West Coast were right in the game until they ran out of legs (despite kicking their highest goal tally in the last quarter)?
Shoddy goal-kicking and poor forward 50 entries really killed us in the first half but WCE roughly broke even around the contest.

Dunno about Melbourne but we weren't close to full strength and even if we were, it's doubtful we win anyway.

The point remains though that the team was always going to run out of legs after playing half a game with no rotations last week, added to the fact that we played a number of young players with 2 pre-seasons, or less, in the team. They don't currently have the conditioning to run out the game as strongly as seasoned players but it's a development year for us so the end result is mostly irrelevant.

There's been enough good signs in the opening rounds that the group's headed in the right direction.

Shoddy goal-kicking and poor forward 50 entries really killed us in the first half but WCE roughly broke even around the contest.

Dunno about Melbourne but we weren't close to full strength and even if we were, it's doubtful we win anyway.

The point remains though that the team was always going to run out of legs after playing half a game with no rotations last week, added to the fact that we played a number of young players with 2 pre-seasons, or less, in the team. They don't currently have the conditioning to run out the game as strongly as seasoned players but it's a development year for us so the end result is mostly irrelevant.

There's been enough good signs in the opening rounds that the group's headed in the right direction.
I agree with all of that. Coaster being a flog started a tit for tat mud throwing but I was pretty impressed by the endeavour of West Coast. I said to my wife (who is English and loves the game even if she has no idea of the nuances of it) that you'd come at us hard - home ground, crowd, bit of belief from last weeks game, youth not realising sometimes it's better to walk down the hill and * ALL the cows, but around the ten minute mark of the 3rd you'd run out of legs. And so it was.

I'm no Nostradamus. I've seen it often with my side. If I was Simpson at half time I would have told them 'forget the scoreboard. Stick with the process'. And by and large they did. That's a good thing. I guess the trick now is to keep them doing that even though you are in for a rough couple of years, but at least right now isn't overawed or dropping their heads when things don't work.

So my takeaway from this game-
For us it was a win in Perth (never ever an easy thing), a solid % win, and we mostly controlled the tempo when we needed to.
For you I'd say a good blooding for some kids, a sustained effort until miles in the legs told, and seeing that the group wants to play for each other.

I don't think either side would be focusing on the pretty minor negatives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 consecutive behinds to start the second half that could have brought it to within 2 or 3 goals. The game was definitely still up for grabs despite the copium you’re feeding yourself by saying your blokes barely tried. Pushed them all the way for 2 and a half quarters after a rough week. All you can ask for and as a Dees fans I’d be annoyed at that performance
The Dees were actually very impressive, it was a scrappy game but they brought more than enough pressure and class, good sides can’t use all their tickets every week and they were missing Gawn too. They are the side to beat this year.

NicNat to be fair didn't play in the Grand Final but I would say he is still Best 22.
Shuey obviously still best 22. Premiership player.
Sheed still best 22. Premiership player.
Jeremy McGovern. Premiership player.
Jamie Cripps. Premiership player.
Liam Ryan. Premiership player.
So it's only 5 and our first choice ruckman. Plus Witherden who is also best 22. So let's say that we were clearly the weaker team on paper and on the field. Fully expected a flogging and we got one.

Tbf NikNat, Shuey & McGovern are all cooked and really should be moved on for West Coast to move forward. All were great players but aren't anymore, so they aren't as big a loss as is being made out.

So you probably were arguably slightly weaker but not that much. Fact is the teams are at totally different ends of the ladder the last couple of years for a reason and it's not because of injuries

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Back