AFL and the send-off rule: A matter of 'when', not 'if'?

Will the AFL introduce a 'send-off rule'? And should they?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wayne Carey ends his Grand Final preview with an ominous line:

That's not to suggest anyone will deliberately go outside the rules, but, who knows, something tells me the send-off rule might be discussed a little more after the game.

I for one fully expect Mumford to pull a Lynch on Saturday.

In fact, I think he would be letting his team and club down to do any less.

Although unlike Lynch, I expect him to do it via bumps and tackles rather than swinging haymakers.

And unlike Lynch, I expect him to actually hurt his opponents. Possibly to the extent of taking them out of the game.

It may shape up for an exciting spectacle, but is it fair on the team whose players end up in fairyland and unable to play?

I say, no it is not fair. Just as it was not fair when Jeremy Cameron knocked out that Brisbane defender a year or so ago.

So now I throw the question over to you: is it a matter of when, not if, the AFL introduce a send-off system?

I'd like to see it for finals, personally. More as a deterrent than a punishment.

Home and Away matches, I'm not so sure, because I could easily see the AFL finding a way to make a mess of the system, with innocent players spending the match on the sidelines.

But I'm open to other opinions on all of this, so you share yours.

It is time?

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
No it's not.

Richmond have players capable of causing damage too. GWS have quite a few smaller build players. I suspect if Mumford goes off, guys like Dusty, Nank, etc will be going cannonball style into lighter weights like Whitfield. Mumford would just be putting a target on his team mates if he tries doing silly things.

Jun 26, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I see the argument for send-offs. But like all other rule-changes, this will just bring more and more issues.

When was the last time a player was ruled out of a game due to an intentional act of violence a la Lynch? Brayshaw and Gaff?

Point is, incidents such as these are so rare that they literally take place about once or twice a year. If such a rule were to be introduced, I can only see it turning into reckless and careless incidents (such as sling-tackles and high hip&shoulders) being deemed send-offable. Which is obviously a step too far.

I highly doubt the AFL would genuinely consider such a change. I see the argument for it, but like you said, I see the AFL making a mess of the system.

MemoryLane

Team Captain
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
No it's not.

Richmond have players capable of causing damage too. GWS have quite a few smaller build players. I suspect if Mumford goes off, guys like Dusty, Nank, etc will be going cannonball style into lighter weights like Whitfield. Mumford would just be putting a target on his team mates if he tries doing silly things.

Nankervis is a unit but don't mistake Dustys tattoos for toughness - he is all talk.

I'd suggest the AFL tries to get reviewing obviously touched shots for goal correct before making such a huge change.

For all the good that it would do - what happens when the real inevitable happens - that is, a player is sent off incorrectly?

Is it better that 10 legit send offs are let go to ensure that no innocent ones occur? Tough conundrum.

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I think yes, but it would need to be very clear cut for if/when it can be used and not simply for all reports.

eg: The only examples I can think of off the top of my head are:
- Gaff on Brayshaw (Eagles essentially benched him themselves anyway);
- Barry Hall on Staker;
- Mumford on the weekend.

I must admit though I had nothing to be excited about for this grand final.
But as the grand final edges closer I'm now curious about:
- How does Pickett do on a grand final debut?;
- Who does Mummy spear tackle on Saturday?;

I fully expect Mummy to be aggressive on grand final day and it should be entertaining viewing. But I do hope:
A) Its within the rules
B) The umps dont over compensate due to comments like Careys and come down hard on Mummy trying to 'stamp it out early' with multiple soft frees.
C) He doesn't genuinely harm someone. Just a tickle...

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Should only come in if teams are sending out players to specifically take out others. At the moment that’s not happening so it wouldn’t actually prevent any incidents.

As an aside, all the media that seems to be hoping Mumford does some dog act on Saturday is disgusting.
That’s not fair on anyone involved.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Maybe this is Marlion Picketts purpose.

One career game. One mission. As soon as the whistle blows, target - Toby Greene. Like the Terminator.

Americanpies

Club Legend
May 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not having them is even worse.

Only a matter of time until someone is hit at the start of a grand final to gift their team a man advantage and victory

I don't think anyone is that evil.. 80's yeah probably. But that sort of thing hasn't happened for decades. The last time I recall something like that, was Scott Burns going after Jonathan Brown back in 2002 or 03.. so long ago now I can't even remember.

I just don't feel that players/coaches in the modern game would want to be remembered for an overly disgusting act. the worst I can see happening is a fair hit, and a guy breaking his arm or something. But you can't send someone off for that.. if it's fair and in the game.

Maybe small skinny guys that can run fast just shouldn't play the game. Red Card is absolute rubbish. Did you see Cam Smith get Sin Binned in the Storm game? Farcical crap like that will 100% ensue..

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I don't think anyone is that evil.. 80's yeah probably. But that sort of thing hasn't happened for decades. The last time I recall something like that, was Scott Burns going after Jonathan Brown back in 2002 or 03.. so long ago now I can't even remember.

I just don't feel that players/coaches in the modern game would want to be remembered for an overly disgusting act. the worst I can see happening is a fair hit, and a guy breaking his arm or something. But you can't send someone off for that.. if it's fair and in the game.

Maybe small skinny guys that can run fast just shouldn't play the game. Red Card is absolute rubbish. Did you see Cam Smith get Sin Binned in the Storm game? Farcical crap like that will 100% ensue..

What was farcical was the West Coast having a huge advantage for most of the game against Fremantle because Gaff king hit Brayshaw off the ball.

Imagine king hitting someone off the ball and being rewarded for it by gaining a man advantage for the game! What other sport in the world would allow that?

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
What was farcical was the West Coast having a huge advantage for most of the game against Fremantle because Gaff king hit Brayshaw off the ball.

Imagine king hitting someone off the ball and being rewarded for it by gaining a man advantage for the game! What other sport in the world would allow that?

Don’t be ridiculous.

Incidents like the gaff one happen once every 1000 games.

It’s a brutal game but not that brutal to imagine we have to bring in a send off rule for some rare moment.

Punishment is severe at the tribunal.

Players like gaff pay the price.

Back