AFL announces 4.5billion, 7 year media deal (2025-2031 inclusive)

Remove this Banner Ad

I do feel like we are a lot more accepting of League here on BF than they are of AFL over on LU. If you even mention AFL over there you get slammed with gayFL or fumbleball comments.
I'm a fan of both sports so don't care but it's just funny the difference in attitude.
Most of them just hate anything Victorian, that’s the true root of their hatred, there are several LU posters who only post about the AFL and how much they hate it, you need to actually signup to read the ‘The Fight Club’ which is LU’s version of Bay 13, truely has to be seen to be believed, they have several stickied anti AFL threads and 9 out 10 threads are about AFL.

Most of them just hate anything Victorian, that’s the true root of their hatred, there are several LU posters who only post about the AFL and how much they hate it, you need to actually signup to read the ‘The Fight Club’ which is LU’s version of Bay 13, truely has to be seen to be believed.

In fact if you mention to one of these people that you follow AFL and are not Victorian it completely throws them.
If you mention you follow AFL and actually hate Victorians these people are almost accepting.

In fact if you mention to one of these people that you follow AFL and are not Victorian it completely throws them.
If you mention you follow AFL and actually hate Victorians these people are almost accepting.
Exactly, that’s why Perth Red is condoned over there.

If he's a troll (not saying he is!) he has invented the perfect cover to constantly have a dig at everything the NRL does.

He has a dig because he cares about the game. He's nothing like the current trolls who are there or ones past who helped fuel these stupid code wars.

If you want quality, streaming sucks. Fine to have streaming as an option, but when it's exclusive it's just madness.
Streaming CAN be good, it just needs everything to go perfectly both on the provider's and the user's end.

Most of them just hate anything Victorian, that’s the true root of their hatred, there are several LU posters who only post about the AFL and how much they hate it, you need to actually signup to read the ‘The Fight Club’ which is LU’s version of Bay 13, truely has to be seen to be believed, they have several stickied anti AFL threads and 9 out 10 threads are about AFL.
Just shows their inferiority complex about everything Victorian mind you with good reason!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On streaming, i'm watching the VFL grand final now on 7+ and the frame rate is so bad it's borderline unwatchable.

The technology just isn't good enough now to rely on for high quality broadcasts. The AFL made the right call to avoid an exclusive streaming deal.

On streaming, i'm watching the VFL grand final now on 7+ and the frame rate is so bad it's borderline unwatchable.
How are you watching it? I'm on my PC and, after setting my refresh rate to 50Hz, it looks great!
Granted, everything else could be improved (only 720p, low video bitrate, basic deinterlacing), but the frame rate is NOT the problem.
Unfortunately, most monitors and phones are set to 60Hz, which makes 50Hz video look weird.
There are ways to change settings from 60 to 50, but that'll be above most footy fans capabilities.

How are you watching it? I'm on my PC and, after setting my refresh rate to 50Hz, it looks great!
Granted, everything else could be improved (only 720p, low video bitrate, basic deinterlacing), but the frame rate is NOT the problem.
Unfortunately, most monitors and phones are set to 60Hz, which makes 50Hz video look weird.
There are ways to change settings from 60 to 50, but that'll be above most footy fans capabilities.

Just on the 7+ app on my TV. It's improved a bit since, but it's still noticeably worse than the Foxtel box or normal FTA.

Just on the 7+ app on my TV. It's improved a bit since, but it's still noticeably worse than the Foxtel box or normal FTA.
Yeah, so it could be a number of things. TV settings, maybe the app on the TV needs an update, maybe your internet isn't great, who knows?
Everything needs to be perfect for streaming to work, especially with high framerate content like Sport.
Hell, internet speeds are a joke in this country, we're #56 in terms of broadband speeds. NZ is #24, for example.

I do feel like we are a lot more accepting of League here on BF than they are of AFL over on LU. If you even mention AFL over there you get slammed with gayFL or fumbleball comments.
I'm a fan of both sports so don't care but it's just funny the difference in attitude.
This is true.

Most people who follow AFL in Melbourne want Storm to succeed. If they do well, we support them 100%. Whereas NRL fans are almost wishing for the downfall of the Swans & GWS.

I've put it down to an inferiority complex. Could be wrong.

Just swapped from afl website feed to 7+ feed for the VFL GF and it's much better on 7+.
Can actually SEE the rain on the 7+ feed.
But it's got ads, whereas afl feed does not.
Interesting.

Nine Entertainment mulls partial sale of Stan streaming service​

• OCTOBER 20, 2022

Nine Entertainment is understood to be exploring a partial sale of its streaming business Stan after unsuccessful efforts to buy AFL broadcasting rights and a major contract loss.

Nine executives, including chief executive Mike Sneesby, have been in Los Angeles meeting with production companies.

The understanding by some is that the free-to-air broadcaster and publisher is looking to sell a share of the business, in a similar scenario to online real estate website Domain, where it is currently a 60 per cent shareholder.

Sources close to Nine said that the future of Stan had previously been canvassed by the company and there were no immediate plans for a change to its ownership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back