AFL announces 4.5billion, 7 year media deal (2025-2031 inclusive)

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone's financial circumstances are different of course, and we all go through varying degrees of largesse at different points of our life, but I will say this: having access to the whole of Foxtel costs the same today as it would have cost me 17 years ago.
AS a self-funded retiree, I would think my earnings in real terms are less today than they were 17 years ago, but my disposable income is probably higher because I no longer have any dependent children sponging off me (at least not to the same degree).

Who can't afford $27.50 a month for Kayo? Maybe if you don't have internet, which is about $80ish a month on average, however who doesn't have internet these days?

Most of Geelong

All we need is better cameras, super HD on all platforms, younger and better commentators, better goal review technology like the old Cyclops tennis net system and take some of the old boy fossils out to the pasture paddock

I'm hoping viewers will soon be able to customise their viewing experience - eg choose to watch the broadcast version, choose different hard cameras like behind the goals, turn commentary off and listen to crowd noise etc

the A-League and Super Rugby have had massive hits to their fandoms since moving from Foxtel
The slight difference between them and the AFL and NRL is the latter are the reason people sign up to Foxtel. The former gain viewers through the latter being connected to the same service. Although the AFL and NRL would lose some viewership if the stopped using the same service for tv delivery.

the A-League and Super Rugby have had massive hits to their fandoms since moving from Foxtel

True.
They went from being 2nd tier sports, but occasionally enjoying decent viewerships because all sports fans were on the same platform, to pretty much disappearing off the face of the Earth.

I'm hoping viewers will soon be able to customise their viewing experience - eg choose to watch the broadcast version, choose different hard cameras like behind the goals, turn commentary off and listen to crowd noise etc

foxtel did that when they first got the rights 20 years ago

can someone clarify something for me?

it's stated that 7 has Thursday nights rounds 1-15 & Saturday Nights 16-23.
Also that Fox has Super Saturday rounds 1-8 (excluding marquee ANZAC, Dreamtime etc)

So what about Saturday games in rounds 9-15?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can it be said this rights deal effectively guarantees North's future?
What future as next year the NMFC could be 1st club not to be shown on FTA TV as I believe the Good Friday game is gone as Bulldogs with take over the game and will play Collingwood at the MCG.
As long it’s a good game and raises a lot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$ for the sick kids.

Hopefully, above anything I would love this deal to allow for afl to part ways with all gambling deals.

That, the upgrade of aflw/ regional pre season grounds, and Tasmania, is what I hope this deal will safely allow in that order of priority.

For that, I’d easily take the slight increase in Thursday’s and less saturdays on 7.

Hopefully, above anything I would love this deal to allow for afl to part ways with all gambling deals.
AFL might be able to ditch gambling companies (but they won't), but Fox and 7 will need to lean heavily on them to pay back the cost, so it's a net neutral at best, most likely a net loss (ie more gambling ads overall)

can someone clarify something for me?

it's stated that 7 has Thursday nights rounds 1-15 & Saturday Nights 16-23.
Also that Fox has Super Saturday rounds 1-8 (excluding marquee ANZAC, Dreamtime etc)

So what about Saturday games in rounds 9-15?
The whole reporting on this is a cluster*. Pretty much sums up modern journalism or lack of it.

Jon Ralph reporting 7 will show Saturday night game some weeks from rd16-23. No Ralphy it will be all weeks as Saturday night will replace the Thursday night game.

Outside of that 7 will have 11 other games in the first 15 rounds they can broadcast outside of Thursday night, Friday night and Sunday arvo.

Herald Sun has more details on the held back games.

AFL TV rights deal: What broadcast deal means for fixture, Tasmania bid and more
What’s it mean for SA /WA viewers?

All Port Adelaide, Adelaide, Fremantle and West Coast matches will be shown live on Fox Footy or on Channel 7.

In the current agreement three games per team per year from West Australia and South Australia are live on Fox Footy but on a 160-minute on Channel 7.

In the new deal 12 games in total across WA and South Australia will have a 120-minute delay.

So it could be that one team has four games shown on free-to-air delay and one has only two rather than three for each of Port Adelaide, Adelaide, Fremantle and West Coast.

Even in the first eight rounds of the year when Fox Footy has all games live and exclusive those teams will still get those “holdback” games on free to air on delay.

What’s it mean for QLD/ NSW viewers?

In the current deal all games in Queensland and New South Wales have been shown on one of Seven’s channels, but for the first time from 2025 onwards some games are expected to be shown on free-to-air delay.

That number is 12 across the four northern states teams — Sydney, GWS, Gold Coast and Brisbane.

So combined, there will be 12 games across those markets where games are shown live on Fox Footy but delayed on free to air by 120 minutes.

I always find with these things the administrators and media overate how much the public care about the value of the rights. Given very little if any flows down, very few people care that everyone in the industry can earn a bit more

Outside of that 7 will have 11 other games in the first 15 rounds they can broadcast outside of Thursday night, Friday night and Sunday arvo.
It's 8, assuming that ch7 show 3 games a week at least: Thursday(1-15)/Saturday(16-23), Friday(1-23) and Sunday (1-23), which adds up to 69 games not 66. But the point stands. By my count, there's 6 "Marquee" games that would normally sit outside of those times, so in Rounds 9-15 Ch7 will show 3 Saturday night games (2 "normal" plus the dreamtime marquee game).

Can't believe s.a and w.a get that deal, it's very lucky. 88 - 12 = 76 out of 88 games live and free into those states.

For mine Gillon added over 100 million a year for the networks getting a few more Thursday games replacing Saturday ones and that's about it. I honestly don't know how they did it and how foxtel and 7 can justify paying that much for only getting a little bit extra in what they've already got.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back