Remove this Banner Ad

COOGRE

Cancelled
Oct 1, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Southampton FC, New Orleans Saints
Okay so there is an Article proposing raising the draft age and I have thought of a AFL university type system.

I know the talent pool is low enough and we dont have a population for it but heres my proposal anyway;

Div 1
Melbourne Uni (VIC)
Monash Uni (VIC)
Adelaide Uni (SA)
Uni of WA (WA)
USYD (NSW)
ANU (ACT)
Uni of QLD (QLD)
UTAS (TAS)
TAFE VIC (VIC)
TAFE WA (WA)

18 rounds play each other twice followed by a finals for top 5 teams in SANFL, WAFL finals system type structure.
This will be a nationally televised competition and will have a large financial overlay but would be lit for uni kids and grads.

Div 2
Australian ARMY
Australian NAVY
Australian AIR FORCE
5 more uni teams
2 more technical schools such as TAFE SA since they miss div 1

This wont be a televised and games will be played at smaller grounds and will require lower financial overlay. Maybe finals televised. No promotions unless sustained success from a school is shown and the facilities are DIV 1 standard. State leagues are now abolished because no one really will care about them soon enough most the teams dont even have 1000 members.

It could be instructive to study the college and high school structures ( as well as junior high and some others) to get a clear understanding of the US system. Lots of huge donors among alumni in the college system.

The uni I attended has a 70,000 seat stadium. It was renovated and expanded a few years ago for around $USD300 million. 6 or 7 games a year.

there is very big money involved to run a team and a competition. Oz unis and Tafes are just scraping by as it is without the added costs.

No need to raise the draft age, just make the NAB League, WAFL/SANFL Colts and National Champs all at under 19 level and don't allow 17 year olds to play in them.

Kids who are ready at 18 will get games and get drafted, the kids who aren't will finish school, start a trade or uni degree and come back for a better shot at 19.

More players will play WAFL/SANFL/VFL/NEAFL against men to provide a far better guide as well.

WA still finishes at 17 right? So those kids are already getting a year to prepare. Some Victorian kids manage footy and school easily and are ready to get drafted and play games. Let them. Those who don't wish to focus so much on footy or who's parents want them to do well at school can easily be held back a touch and know they are assured to play at the most equal standard - under 19's rep - the next year.

American colleges are developing future NFL players and paying for it.

The AFL already controls the development and the money.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back