Draft mechanisms under review

Remove this Banner Ad

Father son. Favours established clubs in the comp for over 30 years.
Academy. Nsw and qld sides
Nga. Favoured vic over wa and sa
Home grown talent. Favours vic
Home grown talent in draft. Favours vic massively.

To even up the comp you need to find a way to balance this out.
Freo loves complaining about NGA when they are one of the only clubs to get a top 10 NGA.

Fairness and the end result don't always line up.
Absolutely true. Still a really bad look to complain about something your club was one or the only ones to benefit from.

My club has a great NGA we really want. We won't be getting him. Who do I see about that?

Absolutely true. Still a really bad look to complain about something your club was one or the only ones to benefit from.

My club has a great NGA we really want. We won't be getting him. Who do I see about that?
If you add nga and father son together you are far ahead of us.

Then you add the draft is over 50 percent Victorian, 75 percent of your list is Victorian you are so far ahead it is not funny.

Then you add minimal travel, home gf and you start to understand the vic dominance.

For this discussion there should be 3 groups, vic clubs, SA and wa clubs, and nsw and qld clubs.

If you add nga and father son together you are far ahead of us.

Then you add the draft is over 50 percent Victorian, 75 percent of your list is Victorian you are so far ahead it is not funny.

Then you add minimal travel, home gf and you start to understand the vic dominance.

For this discussion there should be 3 groups, vic clubs, SA and wa clubs, and nsw and qld clubs.
Have Hawks ever had a decent father son?

I personally think there's 18 groups rather than 3. But if you do want to group them, state lines doesn't work - grouping North with Collingwood in terms of advantages just doesn't work at all. The smaller Vic clubs are with Freo as the most disadvantaged in the league.

I personally think there's 18 groups rather than 3. But if you do want to group them, state lines doesn't work - grouping North with Collingwood in terms of advantages just doesn't work at all. The smaller Vic clubs are with Freo as the most disadvantaged in the league.
From a draft point of view there is 3 groups.

When it comes to free agency, trading in players the big clubs get more advantage.

From a draft point of view there is 3 groups.

When it comes to free agency, trading in players the big clubs get more advantage.
Fair enough.

But 4 groups.

Sydney and Brisbane have both Academy and F/S access with no particular reason to get fewer f/s than vic clubs.

Hawks legend Josh Kennedy 🥲

Never had one who was deemed to be in the top 20 players in any draft in history.

In retrospect we had one who was eventually developed into a great player, although he was not heralded at all as a youth, and most of that development occurred after he left the club (Josh Kennedy at Sydney).

Absolutely insane to think whatever we had added together matches a top 10 pick.

Never had one who was deemed to be in the top 20 players in any draft in history.

In retrospect we had one who was eventually developed into a great player, although he was not heralded at all as a youth, and most of that development occurred after he left the club (Josh Kennedy at Sydney).

Absolutely insane to think whatever we had added together matches a top 10 pick.

s**t? Is he John Kennedy Jrs son. Hawthorn's royal lineage? The grandson of arguably the founder of your era of greatness. What a ******* loss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To get more elite talent, IMO what needs to be done is to increase the size of the Northern Academies and split the bill with the AFL.

WA and SA to get Academies as well.

And Tasmania when it comes in.

This will increase the size of the draft pool and with more players coming through, teams will not be able to select them all.

s*t? Is he John Kennedy Jrs son. Hawthorn's royal lineage? The grandson of arguably the founder of your era of greatness. What a ****** loss.
Yeah. I didn't want to lose him either, but he was struggling to break into a star studded premiership midfield and wasn't showing that much production at AFL or VFL level (a lot of potential though).

I was bitterly disappointed when he left, but he had 13 games in 3 years mostly as a reserve when more established mids were injured.

• Ridiculous that you get matching points for picks that were never going to be used. If only 50 - 60 players are getting drafted then there should be no value on points after that.
  • make F/S discount match games played at that club. 100 games = 10% discount, up to 30% for 300 games plus.
  • reduce FA compensation. The current system incentivises bottom clubs to move on mid range players. This actually makes them weaker the next season, which keeps them at the bottom for longer. First round should only be for champions. Someone like McKay should be third round compensation. Don’t tie the pick to ladder position.
  • Make NGAs available from the second round, but reduce discount to 10%. So clubs can keep the local lads if they really want them.
  • 18 year old only available in the first two rounds.

That's not their zone.
Just so you know GWS has a far better zone than us, we would swap
Ok Well Pennant hills isnt near The Sydney Harbour Bridge isnt it?

I am sure Struggle Street in Mount Druitt is near The Sydney CBD lol.
Pennant Hills is North/West Sydney, not Western Sydney.
Ok so Pennant Hills is at a North Western Suburb of NSW. its Still in the Western Half of NSW. As I posted earlier in other threads, I am suprised GWS didnt go after Lenny Hayes to make him play for GWS at the end of his career. Made sense as he is from Pennant Hills too. Last I heard he is part of the coaching staff at GWS.

Mark McVeigh spent his whole playing career at essendon. He is also part of the GWS coaching staff too.

Ok so Pennant Hills is at a North Western Suburb of NSW. its Still in the Western Half of NSW. As I posted earlier in other threads, I am suprised GWS didnt go after Lenny Hayes to make him play for GWS at the end of his career. Made sense as he is from Pennant Hills too. Last I heard he is part of the coaching staff at GWS.

Mark McVeigh spent his whole playing career at essendon. He is also part of the GWS coaching staff too.
I don't think you're fully across the geography of Sydney. Parramatta is the geographical and demographic centre of Sydney. Pennant Hills isn't is the west by any stretch and I'm sure most residents would be in furious agreement there.

What makes you think they didn't make a play for Lenny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back