Roast AFL need to change the draft system next season for bottom four clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Geelong are putting many of their best 22 players on cotton wool this weekend cause they won't play finals, a sensible call really.

No difference in that (philosophically) or rebuilding clubs like North Melbourne trying their best to get a strong draft position as possible.

Clubs are under no obligation to any other club supporters to try win games when they have nothing to gain by winning.
Clubs who ain't playing finals this year should do what Geelong did and rest most of their best players and give their kids a crack and a taste of AFL level footy in the final round.

North going to be massive improvers next season, definitely going to leap frog the likes of the Hawthorn, Richmond, Essendon, possibly Freo etc with Harley Reid, Sanders and the other young players and talent they will be bringing in.

Last edited:
theres only one game which hawks are suspected of tanking - 2005 vs richmond round 22 (tanked a 7 goal lead at half time to lose and keep under 5 wins)
karma got us as the draft picks were a bust though

2004 was not tanking - basically ****ed up the whole season and won 2 of the last 4 games under caretaker coach. Preseason the original coach stated we would win the flag
Hahaha.

2004 was a clear tank job. Won a couple late after the priority pick had been locked in. Don't go Bigfooty nuffie - have a bit of objectivity about your posting.

Hahaha.

2004 was a clear tank job. Won a couple late after the priority pick had been locked in. Don't go Bigfooty nuffie - have a bit of objectivity about your posting.
you will need to demonstrate how 2004 was a "clear tank" when we were picking players to win throughout the season
somewhat rich to call me "nuffie" when I already acknowledged and highlighted the tank from 2005

If it was 250-300 games (and thus more likely to be affected by increased travel demands on the longevity of the players) maybe but how is 100 games harder to get for Eagles than Carton (unnless you are referring to Vic clubs benefitting more from go-homers that then do 100 there or block them from having done their 100 'outside' first.)

New teams (eg GWS and GCS) currently behind the eight ball on that front of course but hypothetically they will have children as well and will be on an equal footing F/s wise.

100 game mark has absolutely nothing to do with it.

It will take another 20 years before GWS and GCS are on equal footing with the rest of the compeititon in this space. How is that fair?

Even port Adelaide are still miles behind purely because of the amount of access they have to Father son prospects.

Its a joke of a rule.

It's not just Harley Reid, North Melbourne more like to get band 1 compo for Ben McKay and or a Priority Draft Pick and guaranteed to pre list Ryley Sanders as a NGA recruit.

A pointless dead rubber extra win or two is not worth the draft bounty North is going to get in the draft.

TRUST THE PROCESS

And yes, i have no doubt North Melbourne have been tanking for almost all of the season, and I got no problem with it whatsoever.

Several teams that have tanked for draft picks in the past have won flags aka Collingwood (2005), Hawthorn, Melbourne and Richmond.

At end of the day, The Eagle's fluffed their lines, North read theirs to perfection !
Except North have further embedded a losing culture, such is the price of tanking for drag picks/assistance.

I'd be dumbfounded if North have any kind of success during Clarkson's tenure.

It took Melbourne 12 years to recover and win a flag, will probably be a similar timeline for North.

Except North have further embedded a losing culture, such is the price of tanking for drag picks/assistance.

I'd be dumbfounded if North have any kind of success during Clarkson's tenure.

It took Melbourne 12 years to recover and win a flag, will probably be a similar timeline for North.

You'll be surprised if not shocked, how well North go next year.

10 wins is not beyond them.

Cool, so they don't need any assistance then?

That's after their assistance package which is really only Pre Listing Ryler Sanders and Band 1 compo for Ben McKay !

Getting some good experienced players like Dylan Stephens from Sydney too plus they have the PSD card to play !

The tangible gains and assets North will get from finishing last again far outweigh the so called shame of winning the Spoon, which no one really cares about anymote.

The stupid thing is, since the draft first began 40 years ago only one player would definitely go number one in a redraft - Nick Riewoldt. There are about 4 drafts where the number one probably was the best pick, and the rest vary between good players and busts.

Remember the tanking that Carlton did for Kruzer, Gibbs and Murphy? Or Melbourne for Scully and Watts? It set their teams back a decade with the poor culture, lack of development, culling of experience and inability to attract talent on and off the field.

Any Director or CEO of a club who thinks developing a losing culture to gain some magic beans is the best way to go has not studied the last 40 years of AFL history.

Hodge goes #1.

That's after their assistance package which is really only Pre Listing Ryler Sanders and Band 1 compo for Ben McKay !

Getting some good experienced players like Dylan Stephens from Sydney too plus they have the PSD card to play !

The tangible gains and assets North will get from finishing last again far outweigh the so called shame of winning the Spoon, which no one really cares about anymote.
Who are 'Band 1 compo' and Sanders going to replace in the team to lead such a charge up the ladder?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who are 'Band 1 compo' and Sanders going to replace in the team to lead such a charge up the ladder?

Time will tell. It always does.
They have the most exciting young core of midfielders in the comp, add Harley Reid to that mix and its going to be DYN-A-MITE !

Sanders and whoever North will get with pick 2 are going to be AFL ready players straight away !

Make LDU captain and plenty of green shoots ahead for North.

Time will tell. It always does.
They have the most exciting young core of midfielders in the comp, add Harley Reid to that mix and its going to be DYN-A-MITE !

Sanders and whoever North will get with pick 2 are going to be AFL ready players straight away !

Make LDU captain and plenty of green shoots ahead for North.
I agree with tall that, which is exactly I believe they are clearly tanking for #1+assistance this year.

It's also why I don't think they should get any assistance, in the form of draft picks, at all.

They've had their time at the bottom loading up on talent, you can't get to the end of it and suddenly shout you need help.

I agree with tall that, which is exactly I believe they are clearly tanking for #1+assistance this year.

It's also why I don't think they should get any assistance, in the form of draft picks, at all.

They've had their time at the bottom loading up on talent, you can't get to the end of it and suddenly shout you need help.

Oh I can't deny North are tanking. They definitely threw both games against Essendon this season when they were in a strong position to win both games (for example)

But on the other hand, they would have won another game or two (at least) if LDU (their best player) was fit and llayed the entire season and didn't miss so many games.

But if the system is there (ie Free Agency compo) and the NGA selection with Ryley Sanders for North to take advantage of, good luck to em i say !

It's not cheating by any means, more like taking advantage of a loophole !

There's a pretty simple fix - fully investigate teams suspected of tanking and punish them accordingly.

The AFL is just too scared of getting their hands dirty.
Inspector Morse is going to be on the case, could imagine him rocking up to Arden st now,
so what happened to this season? why were you have a part time coach employed as head coach?
Why did Cunners only play a hand full of games considering he’s your highest paid player?
You haven’t improved much from the last few seasons have you, why is that?
Clearly all of this is going to be evidence used against you.

Oh I can't deny North are tanking. They definitely threw both games against Essendon this season when they were in a strong position to win both games (for example)

But on the other hand, they would have won another game or two (at least) if LDU (their best player) was fit and llayed the entire season and didn't miss so many games.

But if the system is there (ie Free Agency compo) and the NGA selection with Ryley Sanders for North to take advantage of, good luck to em i say !

It's not cheating by any means, more like taking advantage of a loophole !
True but history says taking advantage of said 'loophole' leads to further failures, not success.

Inspector Morse is going to be on the case, could imagine him rocking up to Arden st now,
so what happened to this season? why were you have a part time coach employed as head coach?
Why did Cunners only play a hand full of games considering he’s your highest paid player?
You haven’t improved much from the last few seasons have you, why is that?
Clearly all of this is going to be evidence used against you.
I'm more interested in why North consistently changed their method in games where they were in winning positions to throw away games.

Or why they had the one interchange infringement in history that threw away a win vs Sydney.

Hahaha.

The coach was sacked after about round 16. If it was a tank job you would think the whole club would be in it and the coach would be safe

I'm more interested in why North consistently changed their method in games where they were in winning positions to throw away games.

Or why they had the one interchange infringement in history that threw away a win vs Sydney.
Back on planet earth we’ve finished 17th,18th,18th about to be 18th..

Maybe our biggest problem is we can’t run out games. Have a look at some of our players at Q1 they are blowing hard compared to their competitors.

Maybe our biggest problem is we can’t run out games. Have a look at some of our players at Q1 they are blowing hard compared to their competitors.
Why's the fitness so poor then?

Most of the team playing on weekends aren't first, or second, year players.

They shouldn't be blowing hard in the first quarter.

They certainly weren't vs WCE when the players were walking instead of running for the entire quarter.

100 game mark has absolutely nothing to do with it.

It will take another 20 years before GWS and GCS are on equal footing with the rest of the compeititon in this space. How is that fair?

Even port Adelaide are still miles behind purely because of the amount of access they have to Father son prospects.

Its a joke of a rule.
My question was not about its inherent fairness but the basis of your claim that "Father/Sons are the most Victorian centric thing of all time" ... which you neglected to cover in your response...

Can't or won't run out games?

Why's the fitness so poor then?

Most of the team playing on weekends aren't first, or second, year players.

They shouldn't be blowing hard in the first quarter.

They certainly weren't vs WCE when the players were walking instead of running for the entire quarter.
This is nothing new;
There’s plenty of vision of players doing the bare minimum over the last few years.
As a fan, it’s stuff of nightmares

Remove this Banner Ad

Back