AFL.com.au Website Update: "New Digital Publishing Experience"

Remove this Banner Ad

You haven't been able to do this for at least a year now without paying iirc.
I have the live pass but I still can't find replays of past games.

Just click on the drop down season menu , match replays go back to 2012

Select by round or team

click watch replay

D8-CAF12-D-BA81-45-FB-9-C33-CE8-EA42-A640-D.jpg

027-F2832-A9-E0-41-A3-BB1-F-27-CC37672-EA7.jpg

91679-A5-F-FDCA-4-B7-F-B1-BB-436-C19-E3-ABC2.jpg

Recall Rohan Connolly on Footyology last year saying he'd heard rumours the AFL was looking to make its website more appealing for casual fans interested in profile pieces on players as opposed to the pure news/stats site it was for hardcore fans. Perhaps this is part of that change?

In anycase, while the website is awkwardly constructed now, agree with those who say we should wait till the real stuff starts in a few weeks before judging it.

There are certain issues in the past that were inconvenient with previous AFL website designs, but this is probably the first time that I actually don’t like the website. It looks nice, but the functionality and user friendliness is probably far from ideal, especially if you are more than just a casual fan. The desktop version basically has the mobile experience with everything so enlarged.

We’ll have to see what they do with the team and player stats to get the full picture of this re-design.

Also, why did they get rid of that overview of games and previous results in the top? Was one of my favourite features as it made navigating between games convenient.

The site is dog s**t now... Quick someone make a chrome extension for the old afl.com.au layout, thanks :)

And allow multiple options that allows it to flow onto club websites. (2005, 2006, 2007 and 2013 with 2009-10 a possibility.)

I’m going to hold my final opinions until they fully release everything, but I currently don’t like that you cannot sort the ladder by stats and choose from a range of statistical measures. It’s something I liked about this website.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

God this new website by the AFL is a crock of s**t!!!!
How the hell can I just catch up on today's mens footy's?

Bunch of absolute muppet's in charge.

It's absolute ******* garbage. Can't even look up match stats anymore - I suspect they are trying to push people to sign up to their live pass.

We need an equivalent of cricinfo. Footywire and Fanfooty are probably the best we've (currently) got.

Telstra own the digital rights and have engaged with a sport website company PulseLive to build the new sites. Telstra concerned over other entities swooping in and getting the rights off them so appear to be trying their best to impress but looks like they’ve failed.

Is anyone else finding that videos load horribly now? They might start but then stop or fail to load at all.

I've paused any extensions on the AFL website, use chrome and have excellent internet. It's frustrating as hell.

Is anyone else finding that videos load horribly now? They might start but then stop or fail to load at all.

I like the clever 'duplicate sound' you can get - there is only a single video playing, but somehow there are two audio streams - out of sync by about 4-5 seconds.
It's probably some new, cool effect to attract the social-media-savvy kids.

Or it could just be another piece of s**t, as we've come to expect.

Everything is very bothersome and slow to navigate. Honestly a 0/0. Would rather use stat sites such as fanfooty and highlights on Kayo than use the AFL website

Telstra own the digital rights and have engaged with a sport website company PulseLive to build the new sites. Telstra concerned over other entities swooping in and getting the rights off them so appear to be trying their best to impress but looks like they’ve failed.
1584834303169.png

Turns out they do the EPL... it aint all that much better, but I appreciate the table being present at least.
This would be great if matches were visible from somewhere on the page at a glance.

1584834430885.png

Turns out you can, but only once you go in to the matches

Stats are hidden all the way at the bottom, but at least they are ordered in to who got the most. Unsure if there's a complete player stat table, wasn't able to find it.

Recall Rohan Connolly on Footyology last year saying he'd heard rumours the AFL was looking to make its website more appealing for casual fans interested in profile pieces on players as opposed to the pure news/stats site it was for hardcore fans. Perhaps this is part of that change?
I think that trend has perceptibly been in train throughout this entire rights period. The preseason ad is another example of this, and the match analysis has been in decline.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back