AFL.com.au Website Update: "New Digital Publishing Experience"

Remove this Banner Ad

At the moment, the only way to see what game is on today is to go into the fixture section and download the PDF.

What an absolute joke of a website.

EDIT: Now the interactive page has come back under the fixture. Still, how are the games not listed on the home page?

What a s**t show.
Its 2020 and this is the best they can do lol.

Videos crash - dont play. And god forbid if you pause it and try and restart it- like you'd ever need to do that.
Not to mention your laptop fans kick in like they are mining Bitcoin while you watch it.
The match centre navigation is a clsuter *. Their radio pop outs crash

And this is their low volume soft launch in the preseason

And they want you to use it - you have to use it for streaming radio.

After seeing how much resources they didnt use on the ARC thing for game reviews no wonder this is so ****ed too.

7 year olds in India could do this better -

GO Catters

Their approach to this website is typical from the AFL. - Having what they THINK we want (or more acurately what some media consultant has told them that we want) available up front and in large while having relevant information - like the ******* fixtures and scores hidden behind secondary screens.

It's incompetence at its finest.

1582505742264.png

1582505769507.png

Every major sports league in the world has a quick view scroll bar for games that are currently on or are coming up.

The AFL is a joke.

Their approach to this website is typical from the AFL. - Having what they THINK we want (or more acurately what some media consultant has told them that we want) available up front and in large while having relevant information - like the ******* fixtures and scores hidden behind secondary screens.

It's incompetence at its finest.

View attachment 828092

View attachment 828093

Every major sports league in the world has a quick view scroll bar for games that are currently on or are coming up.

The AFL is a joke.
Yes, this is really mystifying. You hope it'll change before the start of the season. I most often visit AFL.com.au for a quick score check, but they're nowhere to be found on the front page.

I tried clicking the first navigation link, "LATEST," thinking that might have the latest scores... but no! It's things like "Latest Podcasts" and "Latest Photo Galleries."

Btw you can click the menu icon on afl.com.au -> "Feedback" to tell them how you think the site should be improved!

I just told them their site is a joke and who ever they paid to design it has made off like bandits. Told them I want to speak to Gil about this joke of an upgrade.

Anyone would think you lot are afraid of change.
No ******* stats on the AFL website for live games, this is less quality than even i first though.

View attachment 826227

Something has to be done. The AFL website is beyond putrid, desktop experience is completely sanitized and looks like everything has been prepared fro a mobile phone and then just blown up to full screen. Looks, tacky and directionless in browser.

Worst ******* website i've ever seen for a professional sporting organisation.
Chances are this sort of stuff is also being tested during Marsh Series and will be ready in time for the new season. Frustrating for pre-season and AFLW though.
Why on earth would they remove the bar at the top of the website with all the games for the weekend? It was an easy way to quickly check the scores.
Because it's the off-season? And it was side of site last year anyway. It'll be back around R1 in some format.
The old website was really good, this new one is s**t.

How do you watch match replays now? I have AFL live but can't find past games anywhere.
1582521828656.png

I swear people are just lazy.

It's still pre-season. Complaining there's no match bar is odd given the time of year. In the meantime if you wanna see the games go to afl.com.au/fixture like has always been the case and use the toggles to change competition, round, team, timezone etc. It's not rocket science.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Btw you can click the menu icon on afl.com.au -> "Feedback" to tell them how you think the site should be improved!
Unplug it probably not received well.

GO CAtters

Anyone would think you lot are afraid of change.

Chances are this sort of stuff is also being tested during Marsh Series and will be ready in time for the new season. Frustrating for pre-season and AFLW though.

Because it's the off-season? And it was side of site last year anyway. It'll be back around R1 in some format.

View attachment 828210

I swear people are just lazy.

It's still pre-season. Complaining there's no match bar is odd given the time of year. In the meantime if you wanna see the games go to afl.com.au/fixture like has always been the case and use the toggles to change competition, round, team, timezone etc. It's not rocket science.

No its not. Neither is getting the live radio strems to turn on exactly 30 mins prior to the games each week. Yet by Rd 14 2019 and they sill cant get it right.

Neither is getting the game time right on their schedules - which then influnces when other things happen on their website.

The AFL and whomever they outsource this to are s**t and their attention to detail is obnoxiously absent. Been that way for years and when you are forced via broadcast rights to use their website to stream games coverage its beyond frustating. Being tethered to a bunch of technical morons that are clearly involved for money only is draining to say the least. Let the radio stations stream their own braodcast or do it properly.

GO Catters

No its not. Neither is getting the live radio strems to turn on exactly 30 mins prior to the games each week. Yet by Rd 14 2019 and they sill cant get it right.

Neither is getting the game time right on their schedules - which then influnces when other things happen on their website.

The AFL and whomever they outsource this to are s**t and their attention to detail is obnoxiously absent. Been that way for years and when you are forced via broadcast rights to use their website to stream games coverage its beyond frustating. Being tethered to a bunch of technical morons that are clearly involved for money only is draining to say the least. Let the radio stations stream their own braodcast or do it properly.

GO Catters
Game time incorrect? When?

This I'd love to hear because I don't understand how that's even possible. Are you sure the issue isn't with your own computer? Never encountered this stuff.

What I'm gathering from this thread is people don't know how to use a basic internet site. fu**in boomers
My complaints have only ever been with the AFL's intentional changes and display choices. I haven't had any issues finding fixtures etc. However the AFL has CHOSEN not to include a match ticker or in-game stats on their desktop website. Nothing you can "know" about the site to make those re-appear.

Game time incorrect? When?

This I'd love to hear because I don't understand how that's even possible. Are you sure the issue isn't with your own computer? Never encountered this stuff.

Their work expereince kid they leave in charge of all this s**t once they piss off at 4 pm Friday each week gets it wrong - thats how.
listed a 750pm geelong game at 720 pm. Pre game radio went dead at 650pm due to AFL 30 min Broadcasting rights.

Did not come back on until 720 pm when they turned it on for 30 mins prior to 750 pm game.

And you know how I know - I get up at 1 am each week to listen the the pre game on streaming radio and lose my s**t when the the radio stations cut it off at the presercibed 30 minus before and the AFL take 12 minute or whatever their chook lotto time of the week is that week to start their online broacdast thru AFL.com

This was an exceptional * up in a long line of their * ups.

And dont ask who we played - I dont remember that much.

GO Catters

Why on earth would they remove the bar at the top of the website with all the games for the weekend? It was an easy way to quickly check the scores.
We’ve got one ☝️

Because they're the AFL and the website is managed through Telstra. Neither really give a s**t about the user experience. Fox Footy website it is for me this year for live scores

Remove this Banner Ad

Back