Injury AFL considering mandatory helmets

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
Is there evidence that helmets have an impact in reducing head injuries? NFL have been wearing helmets forever and they still have concussions and CTE related deaths.

It is at junior level not AFL level isnt it??

Helmets also do nothing to prevent concussion and limit the brain bouncing off the side walls of ones skull internally which is where concussion injuries stem from.

Caleb Daniel will feel less singled out, can’t do anything about his height though.

I don't believe they'll provide substantial benefits. In fact, they may actually have a counterproductive effect by instilling an undue sense of security in players, making them believe their heads are more protected than they actually are.

Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) is a result of the brain jostling inside the skull. Recurrent impacts, such as collisions and tackles, even without causing concussions, can potentially lead to CTE.

It is at junior level not AFL level isnt it??

Helmets also do nothing to prevent concussion and limit the brain bouncing off the side walls of ones skull internally which is where concussion injuries stem from.
the article says they're looking to at all levels. It also says
"a standard AFL helmet could be introduced as early as 2024".

Not sure about this. In NFL, players admitted that wearing helmets made them play even harder, which can't be good for reducing brain trauma.

the article says they're looking to at all levels. It also says
"a standard AFL helmet could be introduced as early as 2024".

Not sure about this. In NFL, players admitted that wearing helmets made them play even harder, which can't be good for reducing brain trauma.
Totally agree and seems like a self protective knee jerk reaction from the AFL to prevent future law suits etc.

I don't believe they'll provide substantial benefits. In fact, they may actually have a counterproductive effect by instilling an undue sense of security in players, making them believe their heads are more protected than they actually are.

Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy (CTE) is a result of the brain jostling inside the skull. Recurrent impacts, such as collisions and tackles, even without causing concussions, can potentially lead to CTE.
Agree 100%, it definitely happened in cricket when they introduced helmets, players get hit on the head/helmet regularly now, pre helmet it was a very rare occurrence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NFL.jpg

I reckon I’d stop watching footy if helmets were made mandatory.
It would be the peak of a slippery slope, with things like speccies and tackles (the remaining ones) to be taken away next. It just wouldn’t be the sport I grew up with and love.

This is all coming from an inquiry in which a guy who professionally boxed and was KOd post AFL career killed himself.

Highly emotional, but why isn‘t the exact same call by the same doctor being made for boxing (and not just sparring but actual fights?)

Perhaps because boxing without a helmet is integral to the sport, and the known risks are 100% accepted by the athletes and industry..

If helmets were made mandatory in AFL, BUT you could avoid wearing one by signing a waiver, what do we think the uptake would be?
Im guessing 95%+

Last edited:
I mean I'd be all for it if it was established to help, but my understanding is that they make things worse by encouraging harder play while not giving significant benefits. I'm sure they'd stop a skull shattering but that's not the issue is it?

Go to Google Scholar. Search for "Sport Helmet Concussion", limit studies to the last 5 yrs to ensure recent research.

Plenty of research showing that introducing helmets is unlikely to achieve what they want, and will in fact potentially increase the likelihood of concussion due to players assuming they're better protected, reduced peripheral awareness (similar issue in cricket) etc.
Sport helmets were introduced to prevent external trauma and skull fractures, they have not really been demonstrated to have an effect on the forces that lead to concussion.

I can definitely understand the desire to try and protect players, but this isn't the way to do it.

1690611206169.png

McKeithan, L, Hibshman, N, Yengo-Kahn, A, Solomon, G & Zuckerman, S (2019), 'Sport-related concussion: evaluation, treatment and future directions', Medical Sciences, vol. 7, no. 3.

But what does it say about this enquiry if they’re the ones recommending mandatory helmets? Based on what scientific studies?
Or are we so scared of litigation these days we throw darts at a board and just hope something works?

I thought the science was pretty settled that helmets do * all for concussions?
That was my understanding, but I'm no brainologist (yes, that is the proper word).
Its the rapid acceleration/deceleration and brain shifting in the head that causes concussion. Unless there has been a recent major development in helmet design it does seem like legal window dressing (and appealing to NSW, Qld mothers who might not want their kid playing a dangerous game?) more than anything that would aid player safety.

That was my understanding, but I'm no brainologist (yes, that is the proper word).
Its the rapid acceleration/deceleration and brain shifting in the head that causes concussion. Unless there has been a recent major development in helmet design it does seem like legal window dressing (and appealing to NSW, Qld mothers who might not want their kid playing a dangerous game?) more than anything that would aid player safety.

Genuine question because I am clueless. If it is all on rapid acceleration/deceleration and nothing to do with impact, could a concussion be caused by a sudden stop to the body or is that whiplash action of the head that enables the brain to slow more naturally? What about if you are headbanging and suddenly stop?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back