AFL Corruption

NumberEight

Club Legend
Jul 3, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Surely I am not the only one that sees the corruption and hypocracy being practiced right under our nose by Gil and the AFL.

First Gil comes out and makes it known he wants the Cog to stay then sure as anything, he stays on the phony excuse for a salary cap breach...making it impossible for anyone else to have a go.

The Giants now have 3 guys on "ambassdor" money, effectively giving them a much deeper salary cap than other teams.

Now the Suns are set to get a priority pick after a 4 win season, when last year we won TWO and were denied the same opportunity for a priority pick.

We have arguable been worse than the Suns over the last 4 years, yet no pick for us.

This is not equalization. Gil is simply proping up his "growth areas" and neglecting the fact that this is supposed to be a fair competition.

This is the AFL being run as a business and not as a competition.

Am I wrong? Am I the only one wondering why more people and clubs arnt up in arms about it all?

No one is surprised about, or unable to see, the things you are talking about.

The AFL is hardly going to put resources into new markets only to watch the experiment die off within one players career span, while ignoring the difficulties faced by the new club.

Maybe it isn’t corruption, just a series of decisions designed to prop up expansion clubs who don’t have a vast and/or loyal fan base to call on in times of need.

Either way, unless clubs decide to bite the hand that feeds them, nothing will change.

Now the Suns are set to get a priority pick after a 4 win season, when last year we won TWO and were denied the same opportunity for a priority pick.
I think that without the Carlton fans ringing the club membership and contacting the AFL that Carlton would have continued this season as it started, secured a first round priority pick prior to the draft like Gold Coast then shifted the players out of their development positions and put the mature bodies back at the contest as happened in the second half of the season.

If that was the case I think the club has made a better decision. Although the wins will only mean membership numbers float up with attendance next season, an extra #1 or #2 pick won't be a boost for a couple of years and you guys deserve to have more immediate reward for your support.

The benefit of playing your junior players in the key roles last season and early this season will reap rewards though. Dow and Fisher in particular.

May 10, 2007
Under the table
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
It's frustrating for sure. "Corrupt" feels strong, but certainly the AFL IS run as a business and with an agenda, not to provide transparency, fairness and good services to the community. It's not a charity or government agency here for the people. It's a business in a competitive market.

If I start to work myself into a lather about it, I then also think - well what about other major sports around the world? IOC (Olympics)? FIFA? Formula 1? EPL? The biggest sports in the world are universally run in crooked, clandestine, manipulating ways, designed to sell the product and make money. It is what it is. The AFL would have to get a lot worse before it'd be mentioned with IOC or FIFA.

What really does drive me nuts about the AFL is the inept and obvious way they do things in a compromised way inside the sport when there's no need to. OK, I get - and to an extent support - the fact that the AFL needs to protect the GC and GWS babies. That's good for a national competition. And it's hard to grow a truly national comp out of what was a state comp. But there's no excuse in my book for the hopelessly ineffective and inconsistent ways they handle Free Agency, MRP and rules of the game. They can and should run a much cleaner game - I think this would enhance the product they're trying to sell at the top level.

Of course, it's not like the Carlton Football Club can say "screw you AFL, we're out of here" and go join another league.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Hilarious. Every club would have players who are paid ambassadors, but that hasn't been an issue for you until now?

Good on him for staying, loyalty is a trait that will disappear more and more each year.

People forget the most dodgiest of deals the AFL approved that got Judd to our club

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Feb 19, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
No one is surprised about, or unable to see, the things you are talking about.

The AFL is hardly going to put resources into new markets only to watch the experiment die off within one players career span, while ignoring the difficulties faced by the new club.

Maybe it isn’t corruption, just a series of decisions designed to prop up expansion clubs who don’t have a vast and/or loyal fan base to call on in times of need.

Either way, unless clubs decide to bite the hand that feeds them, nothing will change.
Well this is the problem the powers that be the AFL created by going into a non Aussie rules state essentially they should have started up Tassie side but when you continue to get back handers it will continue to happen

This is the AFL being run as a business and not as a competition.

Am I wrong?

No, you're not wrong as situations are being manipulated in order to attain the desired end result. That does not make for a 'competition'
The problem with all this is when you start manipulating, how/when/where do you stop? You can't and the massaging will never be over, as every new situation presents a new problem that requires fresh intervention. For every action there's a reaction and then another one...and another one....and.....

I see us having a real problem on our hands.

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I think the hard bit to swallow is the AFL really don't care if clubs like Carlton struggle, we have the support/membership base to get through the tough times.

The competition is far from fair, with the fact teams don't play each other once or twice at the forefront. The AFL have no clue how to run a fair competition, I don't know if this is corruption. It is 100% bad governance.

Carlton try and play nice with the AFL and still can't see why, Hawks and Richmond hammer the AFL every chance they get and seem to get rewarded for it.

teknodeejay

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys, Arsenal
AFL really don't care if clubs like Carlton struggle, we have the support/membership base to get through the tough times

I'm not so sure. When we hit Peak Carlton, our membership growth could blow away that of Richmond when they peaked. Too much $$$ for Gil to ignore from his bonuses.

What irks me though is that they're doing everything to secure GWS because of NSW revenue... but then treat Gold Coast like absolute crap who are the more struggling of the two clubs by a long way. More draft picks won't fix them. They need a some major assistance like Sydney and Brisbane used to have. They did nothing to retain Prestia, Lynch and others and ensure the cocaine culture was kept out of the club. Now look at it. They should make the same stand on GC as they do for GWS, or just admit a mistake and ship it down to Tassie where it will stand on its own two feet successfully imo.

I think the suns have about 3 years to prove they should exist.. After that the license will be shifted.

I do feel that things are less transparent under gil. That's for sure. The coniglio situation will attract attention for a while... But so did Brisbane expanded salary cap when they won three in a row.

Hilarious. Every club would have players who are paid ambassadors, but that hasn't been an issue for you until now?

Good on him for staying, loyalty is a trait that will disappear more and more each year.

People forget the most dodgiest of deals the AFL approved that got Judd to our club

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

Except that involved sacrifice from our end. Kennedy and pick 3.

bigm386

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I'm not so sure. When we hit Peak Carlton, our membership growth could blow away that of Richmond when they peaked. Too much $$$ for Gil to ignore from his bonuses.

What irks me though is that they're doing everything to secure GWS because of NSW revenue... but then treat Gold Coast like absolute crap who are the more struggling of the two clubs by a long way. More draft picks won't fix them. They need a some major assistance like Sydney and Brisbane used to have. They did nothing to retain Prestia, Lynch and others and ensure the cocaine culture was kept out of the club. Now look at it. They should make the same stand on GC as they do for GWS, or just admit a mistake and ship it down to Tassie where it will stand on its own two feet successfully imo.

Yes but Carlton are profitable irrespective of on field sucess, not many clubs are and therefore our sucess is the least of the AFL's concerns.

dlb99

Club Legend
Sep 14, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Always been this way.

No priority pick for us, long-term this will be a benefit, since we will earn what we get on our own merits. No hand-outs.

We can ignore head office. We are on a mission.

Always been this way.

No priority pick for us, long-term this will be a benefit, since we will earn what we get on our own merits. No hand-outs.

We can ignore head office. We are on a mission.

Hand outs are benefits

Mar 19, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Broncos
Carlton try and play nice with the AFL and still can't see why, Hawks and Richmond hammer the AFL every chance they get and seem to get rewarded for it.

Both those clubs and Pies are financially viable so get to have a say, we are still in debt and if we need a hand out, who do we go to? Kennett whinged about the AFL, check their draw out this year, AFL have cost them huge money this year at the gate. The AFL want clubs to stay in debt so that they will always have a hold over them.

I would prefer them to get the game right on the field with regards to rules and umpiring as well as MRO. Our club needs to focus on sorting itself out, administration, list management, coaching etc, so that their is a strong backbone in place to keep us strong on the field for a long period of time.

Loramarthalas

All Australian
Jul 11, 2008
Tasmania
AFL Club
Carlton
certainly the AFL IS run as a business and with an agenda, not to provide transparency, fairness and good services to the community. It's not a charity or government agency here for the people. It's a business in a competitive market.

But it’s not a business. It’s not listed on the stock exchange. It’s a non-profit, community owned organization. It takes taxpayer money. It belongs to us.

We ought to be outraged at the way the competition is being run. Corporate values are not community values. We demand fairness and equitability. Corporations don’t give a s**t about that stuff, it’s just big fish eat little fish for them and to hell with everything else.

Just think about what’s been taken from our club over the last decade in the name of entering new markets:
  • The draft concessions to GC and GWS pushed us a long way down the draft order at a time when we were rebuilding.
  • Priority picks, intended to help struggling clubs climb off the canvas, suddenly disappeared when we needed them most.
  • Free agency comes into play, giving rich, successful clubs a huge advantage over us.
  • The AFL starts giving out ambassador money to free agents who might have joined us.
  • Now, suddenly, priority picks reappear to push us down the draft order again, right when we need the help.
There’s no fairness here. It’s all about growing the reach of the game and getting a bigger tv rights deal. So far, I’ve been ambivalent about GWS and GC. They represent the corporatisation of our community owned game — that’s all. But not anymore. Those clubs are now a big reason why we’re still at the foot of the ladder. I hope they fold. I’ll be cheering every lost game and every finals exit they suffer. They are a disease on the competition.

Back