AFL Evolution 2 Realism Thread (game sliders, player ratings, player likeness, tactics)

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are my current CPU/AI sliders now that I've improved a bit - these result in more accurate AI scorelines, and much better ball usage and decision making by AI.
(Only other adjustments I've made to my previous sliders is all marking is 50 for both User and CPU, with fumbles at 60 for both)
View attachment 866208

View attachment 866209
Do you have the cpu and ai exactly the same ?
also what camera ?

these new ones you have posted are the only things you've changed from default ? or are these to go with your previous sliders posted earlier ?

Up to round 4 in my season as the Dees, have refined the sliders pretty well now. Drew with the Eagles in round 1, won against giants in round 2 by 10 points, Saints destroyed me by 6 goals in round 3, and I just beat GC up there by 5 goals.
Really enjoying the variance the AI provides, along with me gradually upping their settings as I slowly improve.

(Edit: I felt GC “rubberbanding” late in the third quarter, they kicked two quick goals and unlike some others, I actually prefer this. Anyone who has played a decent level of footy knows that feeling when the opposition give it a big crack mid game. And just like real life, since I was up, I changed my tactics to slow down, and held on to the ball until the 3qtr time siren. Proceeded to then dominate them in the fourth).

One thing I have found, is that due to having both my running speed and endurance sliders down (both both me and CPU), me tackling the CPU without using the sprint trigger is VERY hard. I have tried to teach myself to release sprint just as I am on them and about to tackle, but I still usually fall short.

So as a compromise, I have the user In The Back and Too High sliders turned down to low 40s (same for CPU).
This allows me to sprint tackle, which I feel is fair, as I reckon the “tackle catching them distance” is now fairly equal between me and the CPUs (which is also fairly turned down if you look at my previous sliders in this thread).

I’m finding, over the course of a 30min (4x7.5) match, both teams are usually averaging around 10-14 free kicks a game. Obviously this is lower than default, for the above reasons, plus having the holding the ball time turned up to 60 (which as pointed out earlier, gives you a bit more re it’s holding the ball. I enjoy the repeated stoppages like real life :))

Last edited:
Hey mate, can you advise on how to duplicate a custom player? If it's super obvious, I'm missing it. :/
on that player in either the 'delisted'
Ah, so you can only do in-game players? And those with facescans will just duplicate and have the facescan removed?

Bummer, I really want to duplicate custom players (eg. Make someone like Dean Kemp and put him in a custom West Coast Legends side and a custom WA state side). Seems like I can't do that, which is a major inconvenience. Don't really want to make players multiple times from scratch, y'know?

Really frustrating how much customisation is there but is a tease because there's always a limit on what you can do. >_<
You can do this by just moving the original player over to your custom team.
Then go to AFL Matchday, press Triangle to re-download the latest 'Évo Data'.... and the player (with Facescan) will be in both places.... their original team, and your custom team.
(don't make a copy of them...copies of players are BAD if you upload them, and can crash the console).
(Note: downloading the AFL Evo Data can also change some downloaded players to someone else. For instance, Barry Hall was created by someone by editing some no-name player.... once download him, then run the Evo Data update, he will be reset to that no-name player).

If the patch adjusts the base gameplay (which I'm assuming it will), I hope it resets everyone's sliders to the new defaults. Like if you've cranked goal kicking up so the AI miss less, you wouldn't want them to change the default to be more realistic, but keep your slider cranked up so they're suddenly kicking 20.0 a game because the default is more accurate.

I've been attempting to create some new rosters for this game (stupid that you can't just download/upload entire roster sets but whatever)
I've been successful up to a point, I've got a larger spread of ratings throughout the league and what I believe are more accurate tiers of players. It definitely helps with the challenge as not every player is 85+. However I'm still running into issues with individual ratings for each player.
I've got an idea of where I want each player to be rated but especially for teams I'm not hugely familiar with I am finding it hard to really accurately portray them, aside from just making general changes to basic stats.
Now my idea is, how many people on here would be interested in making our own rosters?
We'd have to have a strict set of guidelines and limits or it would get out of hand due to bias etc.
If we can get enough interest it would be good to bounce some ideas off people from here and get some really accurate rosters made up.
I could post up some rough guidelines that we need to follow, which can then be refined as we go along. Even having 1 or 2 people per team would be ideal!
Let me know who's interested in a project like this. Along with a decent slider set and hopefully a few game patches we could have a realistic and fun AFL game for once!

(stupid that you can't just download/upload entire roster sets but whatever)
Just be aware that the 'Evo' updates are full roster changes that will override any changes you make to the default teams.
Also, 'copies' of players shouldn't be uploaded to the community (there's a bug with them)… so you may be limited to how much you can share the teams.

I've been attempting to create some new rosters for this game (stupid that you can't just download/upload entire roster sets but whatever)
I've been successful up to a point, I've got a larger spread of ratings throughout the league and what I believe are more accurate tiers of players. It definitely helps with the challenge as not every player is 85+. However I'm still running into issues with individual ratings for each player.
I've got an idea of where I want each player to be rated but especially for teams I'm not hugely familiar with I am finding it hard to really accurately portray them, aside from just making general changes to basic stats.
Now my idea is, how many people on here would be interested in making our own rosters?
We'd have to have a strict set of guidelines and limits or it would get out of hand due to bias etc.
If we can get enough interest it would be good to bounce some ideas off people from here and get some really accurate rosters made up.
I could post up some rough guidelines that we need to follow, which can then be refined as we go along. Even having 1 or 2 people per team would be ideal!
Let me know who's interested in a project like this. Along with a decent slider set and hopefully a few game patches we could have a realistic and fun AFL game for once!
I would be keen! I myself have done my roster and havent done the update as I believe mine are better haha and I have adjusted players accessories to look more realistic.

I can definitely help out with West Coast ratings. I haven't bothered with ratings (yet) outside of custom players, but think I'll be able to handle it with the ingame players no problem, assuming it's all the same.

Reckon it's worth having a beginner's guide? Like I'd be fairly conservative and go 80 in a particular area for most most players who are strong in it. Whereas others may max them to 99. For example - Josh Kennedy's set shot goalkicking I'd rate highly, but is 80 too low? Should it be 99? I don't really know the overall effect here. Do I put Liam Ryan's speccy rating at 99? Is that too high?

Up to round 4 in my season as the Dees, have refined the sliders pretty well now. Drew with the Eagles in round 1, won against giants in round 2 by 10 points, Saints destroyed me by 6 goals in round 3, and I just beat GC up there by 5 goals.
Really enjoying the variance the AI provides, along with me gradually upping their settings as I slowly improve.

(Edit: I felt GC “rubberbanding” late in the third quarter, they kicked two quick goals and unlike some others, I actually prefer this. Anyone who has played a decent level of footy knows that feeling when the opposition give it a big crack mid game. And just like real life, since I was up, I changed my tactics to slow down, and held on to the ball until the 3qtr time siren. Proceeded to then dominate them in the fourth).

One thing I have found, is that due to having both my running speed and endurance sliders down (both both me and CPU), me tackling the CPU without using the sprint trigger is VERY hard. I have tried to teach myself to release sprint just as I am on them and about to tackle, but I still usually fall short.

So as a compromise, I have the user In The Back and Too High sliders turned down to low 40s (same for CPU).
This allows me to sprint tackle, which I feel is fair, as I reckon the “tackle catching them distance” is now fairly equal between me and the CPUs (which is also fairly turned down if you look at my previous sliders in this thread).

I’m finding, over the course of a 30min (4x7.5) match, both teams are usually averaging around 10-14 free kicks a game. Obviously this is lower than default, for the above reasons, plus having the holding the ball time turned up to 60 (which as pointed out earlier, gives you a bit more re it’s holding the ball. I enjoy the repeated stoppages like real life :))

Interested to see how your season goes.

I'm 13 games into a season playing as West Coast. I adjusted sliders over the first couple of games and was having awesomely competitive matches for maybe the first 8 games. Had some epics, such as storming over Port, led by an inspired Naitanui, in the last quarter, got over a very inaccurate Hawthorn, and had to buckle down and grind out a 2 point win over Fremantle (I seriously tried to flog them, but they were on fire), needing to outscore them by 6 goals in the last. I feel like since that game, every match has been far too easy. I steamrolled Gold Coast (although they did fight back in the 2nd). Then I've beaten both Collingwood and Essendon by 100+ and easily handled Richmond by 10 goals. Not sure if it's something built into the game, where you get some in-season momentum or I've just evolved and mastered the game's nuances so much that I can't lose to the AI anymore. :/ I'll see how it goes, but I feel it's the latter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can definitely help out with West Coast ratings. I haven't bothered with ratings (yet) outside of custom players, but think I'll be able to handle it with the ingame players no problem, assuming it's all the same.

Reckon it's worth having a beginner's guide? Like I'd be fairly conservative and go 80 in a particular area for most most players who are strong in it. Whereas others may max them to 99. For example - Josh Kennedy's set shot goalkicking I'd rate highly, but is 80 too low? Should it be 99? I don't really know the overall effect here. Do I put Liam Ryan's speccy rating at 99? Is that too high?

Im interested in how the goal kicking abilities work too.
My theory is, for any teams you play as often (or exclusively), all players in that team should have their goal kicking skills lowered.

So your Kennedy’s would be say 70s, and backman/know chokers down in the 30-40s.

ideally this would mean, even if you nail the goal kicking power bar, there may still be some variability in whether they kick it dead straight or not?
If it means you could slow down the kick meter slider, it would hopefully result in more behinds, and less out on the full mung kicks.

Alternatively, it just results in more munged out on the fulls as it effectively “narrows” the sweet spot...

I would be keen! I myself have done my roster and havent done the update as I believe mine are better haha and I have adjusted players accessories to look more realistic.

Sounds good. Was thinking it would be best to have everything in a spreadsheet before it all gets plugged into the game, that way if there is an update we still have the ratings there. But obviously once it's uploaded to the fanhub it will be there permanently, at least I think so.
In my roster updates I've been trying to fit all the players into a certain tier.
E.g.. 90+ overall = Superstar players, multiple AA's, Brownlow, Coleman, etc
85-89 ovrl = B&F winners, 1 time AA, ageing superstars, players best at that position.
80-84 = High finish B&F, general stud players, regarded top 10 in their position.
75-79 = Regular 22 players, Rising stars, above average in their position.
70-74 = Fringe players, ~14 or less games, 1st round draft picks, high level prospects.
65-69 = Replacement players, role player, backup rucks, mid round draft picks.
>65 = Rookie players, late round draft picks.

These are just basic tiers that I've been using and not necessarily set in stone. I think it gives a reasonable spread of players although a lot end up in the 75-79 range.
In my initial draft of the rosters I had about 130ish players at 80+ of which only 14 were above 90. Left about 650 players below 79.
If everyone made team rosters with these guidelines we could get a good overall roster. I just struggled with a lot of intimate knowledge of teams I don't follow closely so while I may have got their overall to a reasonable stage I couldn't begin to personalize each player to what they really should be.

I have also been tinkering and seeing how much each individual rating impacts a players overall.
For example the Ruck stat is 30% of a 'ruck' position player. While marking, spoiling, and strength equals 10% of their overall.
Midfielders are a bit more spread out but their 'hand skill' stat counts for 15% and kicking 10%. Everything is below that. Some stats will contribute 0% to a players overall.
Not exactly sure but trying to think of ways we could use these to create a more accurate portrayal of real players in game.
Would we have a 99 in a skill be comparable to say the GOAT of that particular skill. For example Goal Kicking Set Shot, Tony Lockett might be rated 99. No modern day player is probably coming close to touching him so might only be in the low 90's high 80's. Or do we just have ratings based on current standards? So a Kennedy might be the best in game.
Also would love to have an exact break down of what each skill meant. Like what is 'clutch' affecting and when. Same with 1%ers and tagging.

Anyone experimented with reducing an entire teams stats (ones that you control)? Kind of like what was previously discussed, and lowering the non-superstars stats.
Reckon it might create more “chaos”.

I’ve tried a little bit with a few players on my team, and one thing I think I find, is that in play, longer “locked on R1” kicks don’t always hit the target.
As frustrating as this is at that moment, I enjoy when it happens, as it reflects real footy. Hopefully lowering kicking stats can have the same effect on CPU players?

Have barely touched my sliders from previous post. A few slight changes to tackle distance etc to account for WWs changes, but otherwise very much similar to what I had
Have you found the speed of the game similar to pre-patch? I still have my run speed for both at 0 but the game feels more frantic than before. Turned down AI tackle distance further (despite WW tuning the default down anyway) to increase my time with the ball. This might be because at times the AI seem like they're getting unnatural speed and stamina boosts even at lower difficulties.

Have you found the speed of the game similar to pre-patch? I still have my run speed for both at 0 but the game feels more frantic than before. Turned down AI tackle distance further (despite WW tuning the default down anyway) to increase my time with the ball. This might be because at times the AI seem like they're getting unnatural speed and stamina boosts even at lower difficulties.
what's your tackle distance set to?

what's your tackle distance set to?
I haven't played since last week out of frustration so I can't remember. I think I had user at 40 and AI at 25-30. There had to be a discrepancy to account for how impossible it is for you to tackle the AI when you're right beside them as they take possession, as well as how much faster they are when chasing you down. It feels like they aren't affected by stamina drain at all.

I haven't played since last week out of frustration so I can't remember. I think I had user at 40 and AI at 25-30. There had to be a discrepancy to account for how impossible it is for you to tackle the AI when you're right beside them as they take possession, as well as how much faster they are when chasing you down. It feels like they aren't affected by stamina drain at all.
thanks mate, i'll give it a go.

and i've noticed that too since the patch, the ai constantly (can't stress it enough) give don't argues, etc, etc... every single tackle you attempt... and still get away. sometimes it takes at least 3 or more just to bring one player down. the stamina/speed thing is also ridiculous too. i always play as the swans, so people like lewis taylor, florent or rampe have pretty high speed in game.. they'll have a good bit of a burst but once the stamina drains, the ai catch right up like it's nothing. even more "awkward" talls like goldstein, bellchambers or rory lobb for ex. catch up after a few metres without ease.

Has anyone done all the team tactics for every team? If so would love to see them all. I noticed they are all set the same. Just want to get everything as close as to realistic as possible Before starting a coach career. Also struggling to get the injury slider right

Remove this Banner Ad

Back