AFL Evolution - Launch thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Game produces a decent flame when thrown in a firepit.

Thats about it

What parts about the game do you dislike? Have you played with the sliders and given it a chance? I've seen a few comments like yours and I'm yet to hear a valid reason.

They've done a good job with the resources available and laid a solid foundation for the future of AFL games.

What parts about the game do you dislike? Have you played with the sliders and given it a chance? I've seen a few comments like yours and I'm yet to hear a valid reason.

They've done a good job with the resources available and laid a solid foundation for the future of AFL games.

Its boring and a poor representation of the sport and for a game made in 2017 at that price the bugs in it are inexcusable. Its just terrible. Youre deluded if you think otherwise.

Last edited:

Its boring and a poor representation of the sport and for a game made in 2017 at that price the bugs in it are inexcusable. Its just terrible. Youre deluded if you think otherwise.

It honestly sounds like you've played it for 10 minutes then put it down. Have you used the sliders and downloaded all 3 patches?

I honestly don't understand the hate for this game. Yes its 2017, but we are dealing with an amateur Australian company making a game they'd have been verrrrry lucky to even make 50,000 sales from. 80% of the budget probably went to actually getting the license to use the players, so they wouldn't have had much wiggle room. It's by far the best AFL game we've had so far. Sure it's riddled with bugs, but 90% of games these days are. The difference is they have a dev team that has the money and time to actually work on stamping those out, whereas W.W were given 2 patches by tru blu, and at the last minute gifted a third because they actually sold a few copies of the game. Cricket and Rugby are international sports and still get buggy and repetitive games, and FIFA is that riddled with bugs its crazy. The introduction of sliders, as well as the footyhub, make this game playable for at least 1-2 years. I love AFL, and of course i want a better game, but im satisfied with what we've got. The only other alternative is nobody buys the game, or everyone takes it back, and EA/2K take one look and say "nope, not going to take that risk for that little amount of sales". Aussie Dev's are never going to get anywhere if people just buy their games, take them back because they aren't the same quality as EA, and then slander them for the next 12-24 months.

I was lining up for a shot at goal along the boundary. Got called to play on (took too long lol), player running towards me as I hurriedly kicked it away...... goes out of bounds as they smother it..... I get awarded a free kick for deliberately out of bounds :D. It's happened to a few times previously, but still makes me happy :D.

I once hit the outside point post from a snap and was penalised with intentional out of bounds :p

I was wondering if there will be an AFL Evolution 2 at some stage, or even DLC for 2018?

Here's how I would like to see it go:-

- A 2018 patch or DLC, featuring all the team lists and fixtures for 2018 of AFL, AFLW, VFL, TAC etc.
- That patches and glitches be fixed up.
- That the marking "window" be wider, so that marking is a little easier.

Then in 2019, bring out a sequel game called "AFL Evolution 2"

It could feature:-

-Updated stats
-AFLX
-Updated team lists and fixtures for 2019 season.
-Expanded AFLW season, to include Geelong and North Melbourne AFLW teams.
-Enhanced career mode.
-Creations mode with female models, so that you can create AFLW players (you currently can't make and download or upload AFLW players, meaning that I can't maunally update the roster).
-More game tactics and options.
-An enhanced training mode.
-More leagues included, such as SANFL, WAFL, and NEAFL.

-Creations mode with female models, so that you can create AFLW players (you currently can't make and download or upload AFLW players, meaning that I can't maunally update the roster).
There should be an option when you're creating a new player to select between Male and Female when you're setting up the details of a player. I should know. In the league I run, We have both Female and Male players on each team and for the streams I do, I've been able to create both Male and Female players and put them on teams.

There should be an option when you're creating a new player to select between Male and Female when you're setting up the details of a player. I should know. In the league I run, We have both Female and Male players on each team and for the streams I do, I've been able to create both Male and Female players and put them on teams.

I'm pretty sure they already have that, I've seen female players in the fanhub and I'm fairly certain you can specify.

I'm pretty sure they already have that, I've seen female players in the fanhub and I'm fairly certain you can specify.
What, Are you talking to me about it? or the other guy who doesn't think the option is in the game?

Because I'm trying to tell that guy the same thing and I can specify that it is in the game.

For the next update I would be content with just some official 2018 lists for next year. WW have made a great start with Evo and as we know AFL dev has never been swimming in cash.

But this is on the proviso they begin the tackle the elephant in the room - core gameplay. As good as Evo is it's a long way from having that classic 'easy to learn, hard to master' quality that great games have. Does that mean a new game engine? Or tweaking it to an inch of it's life? The next release has to be more than just better graphics and more game options.

As a side note, I remain convinced that just like many Aussies found an interest in hockey and basketball through NHL and 2K and the like, so too could a really good 'pick up and play' AFL title and grow an international fan base. Considering how much bigger the markets are, even just the odd speculative purchase could really bump up the numbers.

One idea - put it up as full price on PSN etc, and run it with a heavy discount overseas more often than not. How many people buy something just because it's on sale? When WW can hand on heart believe the game is pick up and play without understanding the rules I think the opportunity is significant.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the optimisation like on the PC version? Does it support ultrawide displays?

The PS4 version suffers from a lot of tearing and slowdown, especially in replays which is disappointing. Wondering if the PC version will perform any better or if it is more or less a console port which doesn't scale well?

What's the optimisation like on the PC version? Does it support ultrawide displays?

The PS4 version suffers from a lot of tearing and slowdown, especially in replays which is disappointing. Wondering if the PC version will perform any better or if it is more or less a console port which doesn't scale well?

Very happy with the PC version although I have an ancient graphics card (Radeon 5850) and it does stutter. Mid spec should be fine on 1080P, above this you may need something better. Just my experience.

1920 x 1080 is the lowest resolution

3840 x 2180 is the highest

I love it and got what I wanted from the pc version coming from the Xbox. In the lead up I had hoped that I'd see the same improvements from console to pc that I saw with AFL Live on 360/ps3 to pc (better graphics, faster frame rate leading to cleaner play etc) several years ago. I was a bit worried at launch when I had issues getting the game to run........... but once it did OH BOY WOWEEEEEEE.

For me the Xbox version looked more like a slightly better 360/ps3 era game. At times with how choppy it got I thought I was back to the Playstation era (that's right Playstation not ps2 or 3 lol). The pc version looks a lot cleaner and clearer. I love how fast and fluid the animations are, the frame rate (the best thing about it) is pure sex on legs :D.

*EDIT* For all of the nuances of the game, I've not really paid attention to see multiple happen in the same match ? It's hard to put into words what I'm actually talking about. I just mean when you see the freak things like the smothering of a kick that then goes out of bounds - which is then called deliberate, to doing the clever evading of tackles through traffic, the AI changing direction and kicking the ball sideways (or backwards) instead of kicking for goal. It doesn't all happen in the same game, you're likely to get one common thing happen AND then for it to happen throughout the same game.

I've played the game for months on end, it's probably happened but I've not taken notice of it....... but in the game I had just before, I saw handpasses get smothered. I doubt they just patched that in :p of course, but I hadn't noticed it previously. One of my attempted lofted/aggressive handballs was smothered (and promptly traveled almost as far as a regular kick!!). It happened to me once in the first half, but then happened 5 more times in the second (both when myself or the AI had possession of the ball)

Last edited:
I've finally gotten around to playing it again, but I'm experiencing some major problems that I never really did before.

For instance, when kicking out, does anyone experience a framerate drop? This never happened to me before, and the camera when kicking in looks odd compared to what it did before.

I've also noticed that when marking, first of all, the game won't put me in control of the best player to mark the ball, it'll often be between the AI and a player I'm not in control of. But even when it's a one on one and I am controlling the player closest to the ball, it never seems to work out. Even if the timing is counted as "good", there are so many times where I'm in front but still don't mark it.

Any ideas or tips? Anyone else experiencing similar stuff?

Doing a bit of WWE this season or a better description having a choose your own adventure.... adventure.

Giving myself a bit of a come back story season. Let Adelaide, Fremantle and Sydney beat me to bring down my percentage. Now I'm going to claw it back :D. Allowed Sydney to thrash me - Buddy kicked 32 goals (he's been moved to full forward this season). We meet again in round 22, I'm in two minds to return the thrashing with a thrashing of my own....... or hope I get to face them in the finals and wallop them at that point in time!

uPe669r.jpg
yGoOcAn.jpg

I've already gone up a bit since this screen shot, beat Essendon and currently 11th with percentage at 67. There's a log jam between 5th-11th. I want to finish 5th-8th and win the flag from there.

I wish this game had International Rules and AFLX (once it becomes a thing) as that would get me playing it a bit more. I'm of the belief that a Big Ant game would have everything better other than maybe gameplay and I reckon they'd have a slightly bigger budget but either way I enjoy this game a lot.

I honestly don't understand the hate for this game.
It feels clunky as hell like live 2 and live wii. The physics are inconsistent as does the speed of the players and the ball, the stamina system is crap as well and there was no effort put into the ratings of players.

I've been picking it up again recently. I enjoy it at times but I still find it too frustrating at higher difficulties while easier difficulties are boring because they're too easy.
It's a very chaotic game, they need to clean it up a bit. Below are some things that keep annoying me.

Tight contests are a mess (which is understandable but still needs to be addressed) having the tap button the same as the handball button doesn't help this.
The floaty, magnetic short handballs are a constant annoyance.
My players rarely do what I want them to do in marking contests, often moving out of position at the last second, not attempting spoils and sometimes even marking the ball when I'm attempting a spoil. A lot of the time, the player in the best position doesn't get the mark, someone behind him does.
The goalkicking system is pretty good in theory but the timing is too unforgiving and there's no slider for it while the wind at harder difficulties is a joke. Like kicking into a tornado that for some reason doesn't appear during any other part of the match. There's no way to turn it off in season mode either.
Bumping is overpowered. The only big bumps should be ones where at least one of the players are sprinting while the stumbling after a missed bump is too over the top and too long.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back