AFL Industry - Voice Against Gender-Based Violence

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's a hint... You'd don't "celebrate" someone with Carey's rap sheet in the same week that you "stand up for women".

Today's standards? So it was OK for Carey to grope a woman 15 years ago, but not now? And that's just one example.

i must have missed the point 15 years ago when it was acceptable to glass your partner and kick a female police officer in the face,

i must have missed the point 15 years ago when it was acceptable to glass your partner and kick a female police officer in the face,
And the silly bit is... the ABSOLUTE least the AFL could have done is not have him in the spotlight last week. There are some people who, rightly or wrongly, believe he should be completely black listed from the industry given his plethora of indiscretions... The AFL didn't have to do that to make a point, just don't put the bloke's name up in lights!

But yes, they're fair dinkum about driving change :rolleyes:

And the silly bit is... the ABSOLUTE least the AFL could have done is not have him in the spotlight last week. There are some people who, rightly or wrongly, believe he should be completely black listed from the industry given his plethora of indiscretions... The AFL didn't have to do that to make a point, just don't put the bloke's name up in lights!

But yes, they're fair dinkum about driving change :rolleyes:

the AFL is behind the bloody NRL in this regard

let that sink in

Here's a hint... You'd don't "celebrate" someone with Carey's rap sheet in the same week that you "stand up for women".

Today's standards? So it was OK for Carey to grope a woman 15 years ago, but not now? And that's just one example.

If it was claims without criminal charges is that sufficient to decline? If you go to gaol for assaulting a woman, or a man or you robbed a store are each considered different?

Who decides? Is it just a legend status thing and its okay to be a shit person and just in the hall of fame?

Does every submission for HOF come with a victim statement for any of their indiscretions regardless of how long ago it happened, or how recent it happened vs when they played football?

If it was claims without criminal charges is that sufficient to decline? If you go to gaol for assaulting a woman, or a man or you robbed a store are each considered different?

Who decides? Is it just a legend status thing and its okay to be a s**t person and just in the hall of fame?

Does every submission for HOF come with a victim statement for any of their indiscretions regardless of how long ago it happened, or how recent it happened vs when they played football?
When you're actively campaigning against something... Then yes, there are differences. If the AFL made everyone "stand together" against coward punches, or drink driving or any other indiscretion, then they should be expected to do the same thing and not glorify people who have done exactly what they're "against".

When you're actively campaigning against something... Then yes, there are differences. If the AFL made everyone "stand together" against coward punches, or drink driving or any other indiscretion, then they should be expected to do the same thing and not glorify people who have done exactly what they're "against".

So because the AFL cared about something for 3 days someone accused of DV doesnt deserve to be a legend (but could be in the hall of fame) as opposed to someone found guilty of aggravated assault and imprisoned being ok for either hof or legend status.

Your logic is about as corrupted as the AFL's.

Anyone who thinks men AREN'T privileged needs to take a good hard look at themselves. When was the last time you thought about what you'd wear on a night out, just in case you gave someone the wrong idea and they assumed they had a right to verbally or physically sexually assault you?

Let's just keep our heads buried in the sand shall we???

When it comes to domestic violence and women being murders, they have been committed by men that the woman knows. Recent murder cases where the woman hasn't known her killer was Bondi and Samantha Murphy, and a few years ago, there was the rape and murder of a young woman in Parkville.

Privilege is a right, advantage or favor given to a person or a group. What privilege did the guy in Bondi have? He had a mental illness and poor social skills.

So because the AFL cared about something for 3 days someone accused of DV doesnt deserve to be a legend (but could be in the hall of fame) as opposed to someone found guilty of aggravated assault and imprisoned being ok for either hof or legend status.

Your logic is about as corrupted as the AFL's.
I'm not sure what your position is.

You have an issue with DELAYING the elevation of Carey by AFL NSW?

Or do you support Carey not getting the honour at all?

I'm not sure what your position is.

You have an issue with DELAYING the elevation of Carey by AFL NSW?

Or do you support Carey not getting the honour at all?

Id possibly be okay with anything, as long as it was a consistent message.

Is the HOF only about their performance on the ground, and once in youre in no matter what.
Or, is any criminal conviction whether before, during or after your football career enough to have you banned from veneration.
Or, is an accusation enough to have you excluded or removed.
Or, if there is some sort of character clause, what are the actual rules and will they always be enforced equally based on those rules with no exceptions or special circumstances.

The AFL doesnt want any of these though. They want to pick and choose based on the look at the time. At any other time they dont care.

That is the worst of the above and the one which we have. And how the AFL handles literally everything. They always take the worst option because they only care about the look at the time.

OJ Simpson is still in the NFL HOF because they dont have a character clause. Its only about their onfield performance. Baseball does have a character clause which is why Pete Rose isnt in (as well as many others). MLB seem to be far more open about how they manage their HOF.

No... I can dismiss it because, until the well deserved public backlash, the NSW Australian Rules Hall of Fame was going to induct him as a legend...

A player who was sacked after multiple indiscretions and attempts at "rehabilitation". You're right, it hasn't happened yet, and it shouldn't.
The AFL went to great lengths to keep Carey from being inducted as a legend of the NSW hall of fame but the AFL still keep Carey in it's own hall of fame.

What about domestic homicide, what are your stats for that?
I posted them a few posts back

Quick summary is domestic partner homicide, where the woman is killed by the man, has gone down by about 66% (based on incidence per 100,000) since the figures were kept from 1989/90. This has been a clear but steady reduction. Figures from the Australian Institute of Criminology. Easy to access their annual report on line. The yearly figure bounces around significantly, reductions and rises around 30% or more year by year v common, which means the 28% rise in 2022/23 is likely to be variation around the continued fall. Hopefully thats the case

This crisis is one of decades and centuries duration, I don't think its likely its getting worse currently, and hopefully the reasons why it has reduced over 30 years continue

In that time the overall homicide incidence in the population has reduced by 50% roughly. Men are persistantly victims compared to woman about 2:1 and by far the commonenst perps, about 85%

The ones that havent changed much are stranger homicide, which involves male victims 4:1 compared to female and intimate partner female to male, which is almost always an abused woman killing her abuser.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When it comes to domestic violence and women being murders, they have been committed by men that the woman knows. Recent murder cases where the woman hasn't known her killer was Bondi and Samantha Murphy, and a few years ago, there was the rape and murder of a young woman in Parkville.

Privilege is a right, advantage or favor given to a person or a group. What privilege did the guy in Bondi have? He had a mental illness and poor social skills.
I'm sorry, are you saying that male entitlement and privilege isn't a thing because of ONE example? Would you agree that men have the significant advantage of being highly unlikely to be killed by someone they know and trust??? Do women have the same advantage?

But thank you for proving my point.

I'm sorry, are you saying that male entitlement and privilege isn't a thing because of ONE example? Would you agree that men have the significant advantage of being highly unlikely to be killed by someone they know and trust??? Do women have the same advantage?

But thank you for proving my point.

Men are far more likely to be murdered by someone they dont know. So that is a privilege for women I guess ?

Is a poor man living on the streets more privileged than a rich woman who owns a house in Toorak/Bondi/pick the fancy suburb whereever you live?

Or do you truly believe that by default all men are privileged than all women - because men dont have to worry about what clothes they wear when they go out for a night on the town - noting that plenty of men cant even afford a night out on the town.

Men are far more likely to be murdered by someone they dont know. So that is a privilege for women I guess ?

Is a poor man living on the streets more privileged than a rich woman who owns a house in Toorak/Bondi/pick the fancy suburb whereever you live?

Or do you truly believe that by default all men are privileged than all women - because men dont have to worry about what clothes they wear when they go out for a night on the town - noting that plenty of men cant even afford a night out on the town.
You're genuinely comparing the threat of being sexually assaulted/harassed with being able to afford a night out on the town?

Let's just all sit with that for a minute....

This has been discussed over and over again, with many people putting forward explanations about what "male privilege" means.

Take two people starting from the same place, male and female, and the male has more advantages. Some obvious, some subtle. Will post something later when I get on the desktop.

Last edited:
You're genuinely comparing the threat of being sexually assaulted/harassed with being able to afford a night out on the town?

Let's just all sit with that for a minute....

Youre the one who used that reason as to why men have privilege.

Would you rather be wealthy and sometimes have men hit on you, or be living on the streets?

Not to mention murder, suicide, incarceration, mental health, dying young, physical pain, and all the other things which affect men at a far higher rate.

This has been discussed over and over again, with many people putting forward explanations about what "make privilege" means.

Take two people starting from the same place, male and female, and the male has more advantages. Some obvious, some subtle. Will post something later when I get on the desktop.

Im sure. But this is a thought experiment vs what is actually happening in the world. Women are now better educated and earn more money up to the point where they choose to have a family.

Would you rather be wealthy and sometimes have men hit on you, or be living on the streets?

Not to mention murder, suicide, incarceration, mental health, dying young, physical pain, and all the other things which affect men at a far higher rate.

Im sure. But this is a thought experiment vs what is actually happening in the world. Women are now better educated and earn more money up to the point where they choose to have a family.
Do you have women in your life? I'd suggest you have a chat to them and see whether I'm simply talking about being hit on... I'll give you a hint... I'm not...

Ask them whether they've ever had their keys ready in their hand when they've been walking to their car at night. Ask them if they have ever felt uncomfortable at work because a person in a position of authority (99.999999% chance of being male) has made them feel compromised by being sexually inappropriate.

Conversely, ask every single male you know if they have ever felt scared of being hurt by their intimate partner.

This whataboutism is just absolute f***ing BS... And one place where I'm more than happy to say, if you're not grown up enough to acknowledge that it exists and contributes to the issues we have as a society... then you are 100% part of the problem.

If true, I wonder what it says about our society?

Do you have women in your life? I'd suggest you have a chat to them and see whether I'm simply talking about being hit on... I'll give you a hint... I'm not...

Ask them whether they've ever had their keys ready in their hand when they've been walking to their car at night. Ask them if they have ever felt uncomfortable at work because a person in a position of authority (99.999999% chance of being male) has made them feel compromised by being sexually inappropriate.

Conversely, ask every single male you know if they have ever felt scared of being hurt by their intimate partner.

This whataboutism is just absolute f***ing BS... And one place where I'm more than happy to say, if you're not grown up enough to acknowledge that it exists and contributes to the issues we have as a society... then you are 100% part of the problem.
Who likes wlaking to their car at night?

Bold is just flat out lie discrediting any opinion you have

Talk about what aboutism

It probably demonstrates that talking in broad generalisations isn't overly helpful.

By far the worst thing you can be in this country is poor. Pretty much any metric measuring an outcome will show that it's worst to be poor than anything else.

Don't be poor and life will be a lot better whether you're male or female.

Saying 'all men are privileged' is largely unhelpful because it's missing a massive chunk of real-world relevance and context.

Who likes wlaking to their car at night?

Bold is just flat out lie discrediting any opinion you have

Talk about what aboutism
I'm sorry, you think there are women who are made to feel uncomfortable at work by other women in positions of power who make unwanted sexual advances?

Perhaps you thought I meant it had happened to 99.99999% of women... I didn't....

You ask this question, yet if someone answers yes I do know of several friends will you dismiss it?

I know a guy who was punched so hard in his face by his partner his glasses shattered and he ended up in hospital due to the glass in his eyes. He and his child were forced to sleep in his car for a few months to get away from the psycho.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back