Prediction AFL needs to sell clubs to survive

Remove this Banner Ad

No. What would be the point in moving to Tasmania and playing out of Sydney with the name GWS?

That was the initial fear from the Sydney Swans but that has been long forgotten as in inconsequential.
The direction of GWS will always be on the supposed geographical centre of Sydney.

1. Someone mentioned empty stadiums. Its not like a billionaire would be buying prestige either.

2. A private owner might find artificial limits unattractive. Thats realy not how private works. might as well just donate money

Do people want to take someones money but not change? seems counter productive. See Joseph Gutnink

So a private owner could move it to Tasmania? even left in Sydney they'd be constantly pushing to steal the swans market share
Why would they? It's been well-established that a Tasmanian team would need government funding to be viable in the long term, and while I could see that happening for a member-owned club, I can't see it flying politically to be publicly funding a private enterprise owned by international billionaires. It may work for Adani, but a football team won't deliver royalties.

Western Sydney is by far the biggest growth market for the sport, and the biggest potential goldmine within Australia. The only fear is that the billionaires move them to the US, and even if that was realistic in terms of logistics and player fatigue, the AFL could always insert a condition in the sale to keep the team in Western Sydney.

Why not set up a parallell competition, franchise based and international, but with the AFL still the majority control?

like footy IPL. All new teams. Play in our off season.

then existing AFL cubs could buy and sell players to raise revenue, but keep a traditional australia based AFL as we know it now

All those wanting to constantly change everything reiwoldts and Kings etc. just Duck right off into the franchise competition, leave the traditional comp alone

The only fear is that the billionaires move them to the US, and even if that was realistic in terms of logistics and player fatigue, the AFL could always insert a condition in the sale to keep the team in Western Sydney.

There is no need. The AFL control the fixtures.
There would be no point in shifting GWS to L.A. If they were playing out of Sydney as required by the fixtures.

The reasons for investing in a football franchise are varied and profit isn't the highest priority as per the NRL.
In the case of GWS the Americans probably see a global view not just an Australian view.

whats interesting is when I suggest where this may leadto changes (and can we deny that when gws stadium rarely fills) I just get responses ‘the AFL won’t allow that’. So don’t sell it if you don’t want change . Discussion Over

it’s like people just want ‘free money’

Why not set up a parallell competition, franchise based and international, but with the AFL still the majority control?
Because that requires money and has very little prospect of a financial return. The AFL and its clubs had better things to do than throwing away money even before the present crisis, and they certainly will be watching their spending now.

whats interesting is when I suggest where this may leadto changes (and can we deny that when gws stadium rarely fills) I just get responses ‘the AFL won’t allow that’. So don’t sell it if you don’t want change . Discussion Over

it’s like people just want ‘free money’

More chance your mob getting moved than the non Vic clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reasons for investing in a football franchise are varied and profit isn't the highest priority as per the NRL.
In the case of GWS the Americans probably see a global view not just an Australian view.
An AFL team has as much chance of being financially attractive to a US owner as would an Indonesian badminton team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why would they? It's been well-established that a Tasmanian team would need government funding to be viable in the long term, and while I could see that happening for a member-owned club, I can't see it flying politically to be publicly funding a private enterprise owned by international billionaires. It may work for Adani, but a football team won't deliver royalties.

Western Sydney is by far the biggest growth market for the sport, and the biggest potential goldmine within Australia. The only fear is that the billionaires move them to the US, and even if that was realistic in terms of logistics and player fatigue, the AFL could always insert a condition in the sale to keep the team in Western Sydney.
Seriously mate you’re getting beyond a broken record now you’re starting to move into troll territory how many times do you need to post the same shite we all get that you hate Tasmania and don’t want a team 🤫

Remove this Banner Ad

Back