News Saints boss Simon Lethlean to depart club

Remove this Banner Ad

Conveniently overlooking the fact that the President founded and managed a multinational corporate worth $5 billion.

But sure, Ross pulls all the strings at the club I guess.

This is the same president that gave ratten a contract extension then sacked him 6 months later? Not sure that president has a whole lot of competency tbh.

Nah, what would he know I guess
He doesnt know very much.

This is the mistake football clubs make when they appoint corporate numbers managers to oversee football decisions. Bassat is decent in the corporate world but football management requires a completely different type of football experience and skillset. Bassat has overseen a number of bungled crap decisions and theres no evidence he has the right skillset. Hes staying only because hes close to lyon and no other reason, on performance he should be out of there.

Certainly wasn’t starstruck by poor old Ratts
Once Ross started fluttering his eyelashes Ratts was cooked.
Animation Vintage GIF

He doesnt know very much.

This is the mistake football clubs make when they appoint corporate numbers managers to oversee football decisions. Bassat is decent in the corporate world but football management requires a completely different type of football experience and skillset. Bassat has overseen a number of bungled crap decisions and theres no evidence he has the right skillset. Hes staying only because hes close to lyon and no other reason, on performance he should be out of there.
I think that's a bit short sighted.

Being president doesn't mean you make decisions relating to the running of the club - it means you (obviously as part of the Board) put people in charge to make those decisions, and you hold them accountable for them.

From afar it looks as though since he became president, he's offloaded a bunch of people that have been in senior roles and have either made bad decisions and/or failed in those roles.

It's only once the people he appoints start to fail that the board and president should be under scrutiny.

I don't agree at all with the notion that the president should be accountable for bad decisions made by people not appointed by him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no doubt of some attempted rooting. Simon is a pants bandit of some renowned after all.
One bloke sacked because of questionable attitude to women and another sacked after questionable attitude towards women and both recruited to the same club that hasn’t won anything since 1966. I wonder why. Now there’s only 1 left. What a culture there is there.

One bloke sacked because of questionable attitude to women and another sacked after questionable attitude towards women and both recruited to the same club that hasn’t won anything since 1966. I wonder why. Now there’s only 1 left. What a culture there is there.
Whatever cupcake.

"Questionable attitude to women"?? Haha. WTF does that mean??

Ah man, if only we had known that a non-questionable attitude to women was the key to winning flags….

I think that's a bit short sighted.

Being president doesn't mean you make decisions relating to the running of the club - it means you (obviously as part of the Board) put people in charge to make those decisions, and you hold them accountable for them.

From afar it looks as though since he became president, he's offloaded a bunch of people that have been in senior roles and have either made bad decisions and/or failed in those roles.

It's only once the people he appoints start to fail that the board and president should be under scrutiny.

I don't agree at all with the notion that the president should be accountable for bad decisions made by people not appointed by him.

I disagree with this and tbh that view discounts how important culture is in football clubs.

In the corporate world (and i can say this because i work in it) the type of top down structure and silos of responsibility might work that way (and it can if the right KPIs are hit outside of the cultural issues).

In football clubs you are for starters working with a different age group primarily young men who for a variety of reasons carry risks and are immature which is why cultural leadership and direction are critical. But youre also dealing with a structure where you need everyone pulling together for it to work. And that never really works when you see senior management in footy clubs avoiding responsibility because it breeds a culture of mediocrity (and my club was like this for a long time before it changed its culture).

In some ways many of those processes take care of themselves better when you appoint the right people (those with football acumen who stuff up decisions rarely) but you have to be accountable when you have a failed hand in that because if presidents and ceos arent then no one else at the club is going to push themselves to absolute excellence.

Theres no circumstance in which someone like lethlean going and someone like bassatt not being accountable enough to resign himself at the same time drives a better culture. Its mediocrity of leadership.

I disagree with this and tbh that view discounts how important culture is in football clubs.

In the corporate world (and i can say this because i work in it) the type of top down structure and silos of responsibility might work that way (and it can if the right KPIs are hit outside of the cultural issues).

In football clubs you are for starters working with a different age group primarily young men who for a variety of reasons carry risks and are immature which is why cultural leadership and direction are critical. But youre also dealing with a structure where you need everyone pulling together for it to work. And that never really works when you see senior management in footy clubs avoiding responsibility because it breeds a culture of mediocrity (and my club was like this for a long time before it changed its culture).

In some ways many of those processes take care of themselves better when you appoint the right people (those with football acumen who stuff up decisions rarely) but you have to be accountable when you have a failed hand in that because if presidents and ceos arent then no one else at the club is going to push themselves to absolute excellence.

Theres no circumstance in which someone like lethlean going and someone like bassatt not being accountable enough to resign himself at the same time drives a better culture. Its mediocrity of leadership.
Yeah, I disagree.

Presidents should never involve themselves in football decisions. Ever.

As I said though, if they keep hiring people who keep making bad decisions, then they should be accountable.

If the Saints win a flag, Saints fans should go after Jake Niall and Damian Barrett in a big way.

Both these blokes have been potting the Saints for years, if not decades.

Any chance they get they stick the boots in. It's really quite juvenile.

If only Barrett applied the same scrutiny to his own team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back