AFL player linked to CJC 1295

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not from EFC...

A PERFORMANCE-enhancing drug given to a rugby league player before his death from cancer may have been given to at least one AFL player.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...ked-to-nrl-death/story-e6frf9jf-1226630371524

Sports bodies are investigating whether the peptide CJC-1295 was given to the player, whom the Herald Sun has chosen not to name.
He is the mystery athlete originally identified alongside Essendon players as possibly having used banned drugs.
The peptide CJC-1295 is prohibited for use by athletes. It has not been approved for human use by the Therapeutic Goods Administration.
The player is from a club that has had an association with sports scientist Stephen Dank.

Mr Dank is central to investigations by the AFL and the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority into whether players and coaches have been administered with substances that are dangerous or prohibited by the World Anti-Doping Agency.

Mr Dank denies any wrongdoing and insists the substances he provided were above board.
CJC-1295 is promoted on bodybuilding websites as a substance that helps reduce fat and repair injured tissue.

The AFL player believed to have been given the substance has suffered a recent on-field injury.

I hate this join the dots type of journalism when they can't / won't name a player. Fair enough don't name him but why then go on with played with a club that's been associated with dank, has had a recent on-field injury.......

It's great to see that whilst the afl was playing social engineer trying to protect their image on recreational drugs that were not performance enhancing, the real threat of PEDs was virtually ignored

It's great to see that whilst the afl was playing social engineer trying to protect their image on recreational drugs that were not performance enhancing,
Now I don't want to start a s**t-fight but if your tests aren't showing up a drug like Ice when you're strung out on it . . . I'm guessing those tests aren't going to turn up performance enhancing substances either. If you're a professional athlete & you're stupid enough to do Ice, you're stupid enough to do anything.

Essendon never tested positive either.

Just sayin ...

God I hate the s**t in that article;
The player is from a club that has had an association with sports scientist Stephen Dank.

The AFL player believed to have been given the substance has suffered a recent on-field injury.

Sports bodies are investigating whether the peptide CJC-1295 was given to the player, whom the Herald Sun has chosen not to name.

They won't name him, but they'll give out these clues,so speculation can run wild. :rolleyes:

EDIT; Beaten to it by Keyser Soze.

Now I don't want to start a s**t-fight but if your tests aren't showing up a drug like Ice when you're strung out on it . . . I'm guessing those tests aren't going to turn up performance enhancing substances either. If you're a professional athlete & you're stupid enough to do Ice, you're stupid enough to do anything.

Essendon never tested positive either.

Just sayin ...

This is true and it was quite scary listening to charter saying how easy it was to avoid positive drug tests

That said the main focus of drug testing should have been PEDs and I genuinely believe the afl lost sight of this partly due to a scandal driven media

Maybe defamation lawsuits if they are wrong is a deterrent? Generally alluding to wrongdoing still sells rags though.

I completely understand why they won't name the player and agree with them not doing so as naming the wrong player not only exposes the paper to a lawsuit but is completely unfair on the player wrongly identified

What I hate is the trail of breadcrumbs that encourages readers to try and work out who it is leading to speculation as to who it is. Saves them from a lawsuit but means that several players may erroneously be suspected as they fit the description. Just say they can't name him and leave it at that

God I hate the s**t in that article;

They won't name him, but they'll give out these clues,so speculation can run wild. :rolleyes:

EDIT; Beaten to it by Keyser Soze.

Modern journalism Scott.

It used to be about succinctly informing, now is about stringing out, muddying and creating ongoing copy.

I sense you know this all too well, hence the first hint of anger i've seen in one of your posts here.

they article makes it sound like it could be Mitch Clark

* me, that would kill the MFC

they article makes it sound like it could be Mitch Clark

**** me, that would kill the MFC

Have no fear demon dynasty13. You are the MCC. The footy, the cricket, the exclusivity, the rents etc... [I mean honestly who could be that bad and still survive] :rolleyes: the St.Kilda Football Club will always hold you in good stead. :D No matter how poorly your team plays. :eek: You blokes are the epitome of what every club needs. CASH Kaching :p The Saints will be welcoming your supporters next year to Wellington so your membership can enjoy the fruits of the St.Kilda F.C's diplomacy and hard work in establishing games in N.Z. Your members can enjoy the ski fields of the South Island after witnessing a pure massacre of your team at the Cake Tin stadium in Wellington. HATS OFF Melbourne. Obviously you're all class. LOL o_O

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I seriously hope its not who jumps to mind for me. Im sure others at his club deserve closer scrutiny but the person im thinking of has copped enough. Agree with points on crap journalism "we wont say who it is, but will give clues that put about 15 players under speculation

I hate this join the dots type of journalism when they can't / won't name a player. Fair enough don't name him but why then go on with played with a club that's been associated with dank, has had a recent on-field injury.......

It's great to see that whilst the afl was playing social engineer trying to protect their image on recreational drugs that were not performance enhancing, the real threat of PEDs was virtually ignored

someone ask Vlad if he was aware in his time with the AFL players association presidents hat on, was he aware, pre ASADA and WADA, was he in the knowledge of players besides Justin Charles who have tested positve but the affal covered it up??? vlad? birds tweeting...

soccer moms and doping, dont make happy PR symbiosis eh

Just as background, CJC-1295 was developed by a canadian company, Conjuchem.

It was withdrawn from human trials after one of the experimental subjects had a heart attack.

Its one of the two substances I had really hoped no AFL player was given - warfarin's the other one.

CJC1295 is DAC(TM):GRF as per here

http://business.highbeam.com/436989/article-1G1-117320548/cjc-1295-conjuchem-phase-change-usa

I hate SEDAR by the way. Press release from ConjuChem, July 14 2006

http://www.sedar.com/DisplayCompanyDocuments.do?lang=EN&issuerNo=00015170

News release via Canada NewsWire, Toronto 416-863-9350
Attention Business Editors:
Conjuchem announces clinical hold of its DAC(TM):GRF Program in HIV Lipodystrophy

MONTREAL, July 14 /CNW/ - ConjuChem Biotechnologies Inc. (TSX: CJB)
announced today that, pending further investigation, it has put on clinical
hold its DAC(TM):GRF program in HIV lipodystrophy and is discontinuing further
dosing in its Phase II trial of DAC(TM):GRF in HIV lipodystrophy due to a
death of a patient involved in the trial. The cause of death and the
relationship of the study drug to the event, which occurred at a clinical site
in Argentina, is currently under investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back