AFL Rd 3 Collingwood v Carlton -Prematch Talk and Team Changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood by 2 goals, ur midfield will slightly win but our defence and forward line will be better than ur equiv.

OK you have proven to be a OK side over the last 5 years but do you honestlly believe you have any chance this weekend.

An OK side?

We won a flag in 2010, lost one in 2011, made a few prelims. Think that's more than an "ok" side.

As we saw last year however, the in-form and healthier side are usually at good odds to win.

Carlton are in much better form and fitter, so I expect us to lose this weekend.

An OK side?

We won a flag in 2010, lost one in 2011, made a few prelims. Think that's more than an "ok" side.

As we saw last year however, the in-form and healthier side are usually at good odds to win.

Carlton are in much better form and fitter, so I expect us to lose this weekend.

Wouldn't be surprised if we lose this week. Bloody well hope we don't, I can't stand them. But we are clearly blooding kids and tapering towards the finals in response to last year when we got our timing wrong, in concert with injuries to key players. Carlton are doing what we did last year to some extent - all guns blazing at the wrong end of the season. To sustain that right through to the end of the grand final is a Herculean effort. They'll either take a dip in form mid-season and come back to form in September or it will bite them in the finals. So we may get rolled this weekend, but I'd read very little into it.

The rivalry dictates that we must win every game against Carlton and I'll need a shower with steel wool and hydrochloric acid if we lose, but the game that will be any kind of barometer for the two sides in terms of finals is Friday night, Round 15 at the G.

I reckon selection will play such a huge part in the result here.

On Carlton's side they have to consider whether to risk playing Warnock and Jamison for the first time this year, and we all know how big players sometimes take longer to hit their stride then mids.

On the Pies side, we have decisions to make also, Maxwell should play, as should Wellingham, but do we bring in Ben Johnson and Cam Wood?, who both looked good on the weekend in the VFL. And there's also Didak, who is fit and ready to go, but probably needs at least one run in the VFL.

Anyone who makes a prediction before the selected sides are released on Thursday Night is nuts IMO, because who is selected may well decide the result here.

It's important for our premiership chances that we win this week.

If we beat Carlton, winning another ~ 14 games of 19 remaining to finish top 4, and having the toughest draw, will seem achievable.

If we don't beat Carlton, winning another ~ 15 games of 19 remaining to finish top 4, and having the toughest draw, will seem like a tough gig.

It's important for our premiership chances that we win this week.

If we beat Carlton, winning another ~ 14 games of 19 remaining to finish top 4, and having the toughest draw, will seem achievable.

If we don't beat Carlton, winning another ~ 15 games of 19 remaining to finish top 4, and having the toughest draw, will seem like a tough gig.

Huh?:confused:

Last year 15 wins would have got you 4th spot, and the year before that 14 wins got the Dogs 4th spot, so where are you getting this 16 win figure from?:confused:

Yes, it may seem that by natural progression that 16 wins may be required, but history shows 15 is enough, and sometimes 14 is enough.

16 will get you top 3, 15 will get you top 4 guaranteed.

seems to be a thaught that warnock may get selcted. just letting you know that there is almost no chance of that happening.
Likly only one change

jamison inn
russel out

Are you guys not concerned about bringing in 4 new like some here are suggesting? almost certainly going to be an intense game and that would be a worry i would have thaught

Can i just say i havnt felt this excited leading into a home and away game for years (like 10 or so!!) so hoping for cracking, fast paced, close affair with carlton getting up by a kick :)

Last year 15 wins would have got you 4th spot, and the year before that 14 wins got the Dogs 4th spot, so where are you getting this 16 win figure from?:confused:

Yes, it may seem that by natural progression that 16 wins may be required, but history shows 15 is enough, and sometimes 14 is enough.

I think this season is going to be really tight I don,t think any team is going to win 20 this year you just have to make sure you get a double chance and good form at the right end of the season.

Why would we burn with envy?

It does seem like a strange comment. Because it suggests they're in an enviable position compared to us. When we've been top 4 for 4 of the past 5 season's (most likely to stretch to 5 of 6) it's hard to be envious.....

True, 15 wins would have won 4th spot, but that's only because Carlton drew a game. 17 wins did win 4th spot.

It'll depend on who the whipping boys end up being and who plays them twice. We play GWS, GC, PA, Melb, Bris, North, Richmond and St Kilda only once - so I reckon it's unlikely we'll be able to rely on percentage to get through.

It'll also depend on the number of draws there are amongst the top teams this season.

As discouraging as our performance was against Richmond if we play as well against Carlton as we did against Hawthorn we should win this. And we will have a more full strength side in this week compared to round 1. I'm not so much excited as I am trepidatious of this game. Carlton look really good and it's a danger game for us. But if we play to our ability we should have them covered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As discouraging as our performance was against Richmond if we play as well against Carlton as we did against Hawthorn we should win this. And we will have a more full strength side in this week compared to round 1. I'm not so much excited as I am trepidatious of this game. Carlton look really good and it's a danger game for us. But if we play to our ability we should have them covered.

At our best we're definitely the better side. Just not sure we're close to playing at our best yet. Hope I'm wrong!

Well Dawes would also be my Full Choice and when Paine does go back it be nice to know there is some Kid can play KPF just in Case of Injury or Suspension

Why Wood Ahead of Ceglar?

As others have said Ceglar is not ready. Cant throw a kid up against Kreuzer or Hampson for his first game in front of a huge crowd. If we do it will be a huge risk, one which we cannot afford.

Wood needs to step up. With Leigh Brown gone we need a competitive 2nd ruck to go up against teams who play 2 genuine full time ruckmen.

A mobile 2nd ruck would be ideal for us. One that is atleast competitive in the ruck even if overshadowed but does more around the ground but we dont have 1. Someone in the mould of James Manson would be good.

Carlton are doing what we did last year to some extent - all guns blazing at the wrong end of the season. To sustain that right through to the end of the grand final is a Herculean effort. They'll either take a dip in form mid-season and come back to form in September or it will bite them in the finals. So we may get rolled this weekend, but I'd read very little into it.

I realise it will be a battle royal for underdog status this week, but 'all guns blazing' is pretty wide of the mark. Two weeks ago we were 0-5 through the NAB and offering up more questions than answers.

Of the prime movers only Murphy and possibly Simpson have been truly consistent over both games. The defensive unit is patched up, Judd, Waite, Kreuzer and Robinson are still blowing the cobwebs out, Scotland is not on 2011 pace.

Improvement has come at the bottom end with the likes of Tuohy, Curnow and Hampson showing development in their game, and a work ethic which looks to have picked up another notch or two from last year. Competition for spots will do that.

I realise it will be a battle royal for underdog status this week, but 'all guns blazing' is pretty wide of the mark. Two weeks ago we were 0-5 through the NAB and offering up more questions than answers.

Of the prime movers only Murphy and possibly Simpson have been truly consistent over both games. The defensive unit is patched up, Judd, Waite, Kreuzer and Robinson are still blowing the cobwebs out, Scotland is not on 2011 pace.

Improvement has come at the bottom end with the likes of Tuohy, Curnow and Hampson showing development in their game, and a work ethic which looks to have picked up another notch or two from last year. Competition for spots will do that.

Ok you got me with some fair points there, so I'll concede that "all guns blazing" was inaccurate!

Allow me to rephrase.

NAB Cup form means squat, it's an absolute irrelevance. Which is why I disregarded it in terms of Carlton.

There are some good inclusions to come back in for Carlton that will strengthen the side. Likewise Collingwood. We're missing / have been missing Tarrant, Maxwell, Brown, Wellingham, Krakouer, Macaffer, Didak, Johnson. Krak and Caff are blows and are unlikely to return. Dawes is struggling for touch. Swan's not near his best yet. Wood has been out leaving us with one ruck. We're playing a very different style of football which takes time to adjust to. So plenty of upside for both clubs.

That said, quality player though he's been, Scotland is not at the stage of his career where he's going to find it easy to match what he did the year before. I thought Judd would struggle far more this year but he looks like he'll prove me wrong.

I still feel that the group of players that have been out on the park for two rounds for Carlton are closer to their best form right now than our boys are and form is hard to sustain over such a long season.

As I've said recently, early season form counts for little when the players run out to play Prelims and GFs so I for one am not pushing any panic buttons yet, even though blokes like Mark Stevens and Robert Walls are suggesting I should in order to get me to pay for their rag of a paper.

And to hell with fighting for underdog status, I like being favourites to smash your boys thanks very much! :D

Oh and one more thing. Tell Curnow to get a haircut! He looks like a reject from Haircut 100 or A Flock of Seagulls.

In: Johnson, Maxwell, Wellingham & Ugle
Out: Seedsman, Sinclair, Tarrant & Paine

Seedsman & Sinclair were hopeless....end of!

Paine wont be going out for any of the Ins you have there. If anything he might make way for Wood.

In: Johnson, Maxwell, Wellingham & Ugle
Out: Seedsman, Sinclair, Tarrant & Paine

Seedsman & Sinclair were hopeless....end of!

Sinclair should not be picked ever again. Can't kick, doesn't kick goals, makes poor decisions, can't tackle. Very good chaser.

Current day version of Jason Wild (officially the worst player I've seen in Black and White).

I think Seedsman will be good, just needs to remember he is playing against men and not 18-20 years olds in the VFL. Just do the simple things well, make good decisions and make use of his skill and not try to beat three blokes, break and tackles.

IN: Johnson, Maxwell, Wellingham, Wood
OUT: Tarrant (inj.) Sinclair, Seedsman, Paine

Wood needs to play - Dawes is certainly no ruckman and never will be. He can't run and jump for starters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back