AFL State of Origin - time to bring it back?

Should the AFL bring back state of origin?

• Total voters

Black Haze

Debutant
Oct 24, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With NRL State of Origin in full swing, it's got me thinking about AFL State of Origin and how it should be brought back.

The first AFL game I remember watching was an AFL State of Origin match in the 90s between Victoria and South Australia, and it's been sad to know that an event once so big and so great has become a thing of the past.

Victoria and South Australia is a state rivalry every bit on the same scale as the rivalry between NSW and Queensland, and despite the media in Melbourne talking up rivalry between Victoria and NSW, the truth is people in NSW don't care about Victoria and they know their state rivalry is with Queensland.

Should the AFL bring back State of Origin?
I vote Yes.

I don't want it.

I have no affiliation to Victoria outside of being born and living here. I don't "support" Victoria, I support North Melbourne and that's all I care about, not some nothing state tournament.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
Fans don't want it. State of Origin worked before West Coast and Adelaide joined the comp and it became the AFL. It only works when you have state fan empathy as the Sandgropers and Croweaters hate us Vics and that rivalry was paramount to its success. It's not necessary today and nobody gives a fat rats about the other states playing each other...If you bring back State of Origin it can only be Vic v SA or WA and very sorry if you hail from any of the other states.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
I think as something in the bye round (singular), it would be great. But as mentioned, it's not gonna happen given club investments in the season proper.

Only option I can think of is an U18s carnival of state clashes.

Gussman

All Australian
Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
AFL teams won't want to risk injury their players, but if the AFL wanted it could probably do State of Origin for the 2nd tier comps at a more national level. Best of the WAFL, SANFL, VFL,ect. Would be a good chance for a few mature age players to show what they can do on a national level and bring more attention to the 2nd tier comps.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I don't want it.

I have no affiliation to Victoria outside of being born and living here. I don't "support" Victoria, I support North Melbourne and that's all I care about, not some nothing state tournament.

Origin is a level above club footy & as we grow the numbers in the player pool, the top 100 players are significantly better than the 700 others.

Aug 7, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Portland Trail Blazers
AFL teams won't want to risk injury their players, but if the AFL wanted it could probably do State of Origin for the 2nd tier comps at a more national level. Best of the WAFL, SANFL, VFL,ect. Would be a good chance for a few mature age players to show what they can do on a national level and bring more attention to the 2nd tier comps.
This has already been a thing for years. SANFL and WAFL square up annually for the Haydn Bunton Jr. Cup. It's usually a great game and generally pretty close.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
With NRL State of Origin in full swing, it's got me thinking about AFL State of Origin and how it should be brought back.

The first AFL game I remember watching was an AFL State of Origin match in the 90s between Victoria and South Australia, and it's been sad to know that an event once so big and so great has become a thing of the past.

Victoria and South Australia is a state rivalry every bit on the same scale as the rivalry between NSW and Queensland, and despite the media in Melbourne talking up rivalry between Victoria and NSW, the truth is people in NSW don't care about Victoria and they know their state rivalry is with Queensland.

Should the AFL bring back State of Origin?
I vote Yes.
If it was as good and proud and committed as the NRL SoO then 100% yes would want that, and I believe that would be possible, but only if everyone involved was 100% committed.

And therein lies the problem, I don't think it will get everyone 100% committed due to too many questions that need answering.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
The risk to injury and derailing an AFL teams shot at a flag is too huge IMO.
Post grand final might work but then most players are on leave or getting traded.

Maybe in the week off before finals they could have a state games round where players not playing finals are eligible.

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Fans don't want it. State of Origin worked before West Coast and Adelaide joined the comp and it became the AFL. It only works when you have state fan empathy as the Sandgropers and Croweaters hate us Vics and that rivalry was paramount to its success. It's not necessary today and nobody gives a fat rats about the other states playing each other...If you bring back State of Origin it can only be Vic v SA or WA and very sorry if you hail from any of the other states.

I don't understand the seemingly dominant argument against SOO that with the WA and SA teams in the comp, state rep football is now pointless.

Do ALL of the best WA and SA players play for the WA and SA based AFL sides? Franklin just off the top of my head plays for Sydney. And there are potential Vic reps playing over with WA & SA based clubs.

The NRL have 3 QLD based teams, and soon to be 4. Look at the QLD origin team and you'll find many don't even play for those club teams. Ponga & Gagai (Newcastle), Munster, Grant, & Felusi (Melbourne), Cherry-Evans (Manly), Papali'i (Canberra), Hunt (St George), Collins (Sydney), Arrow (South Sydney).

State footy - particularly VIC vs SA vs WA - brings the best of the best together! You can generally see the difference in rugby league SOO to a standard NRL match.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
This has already been a thing for years. SANFL and WAFL square up annually for the Haydn Bunton Jr. Cup. It's usually a great game and generally pretty close.

This is an example of pre Origin thinking, one League v another, say VFL v VFA or SANFL v WAFL.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Origin is a level above club footy & as we grow the numbers in the player pool, the top 100 players are significantly better than the 700 others.
Yeah but i reckon the best team from each year would beat any of the soo teams.

Afl is far more reliant on teamwork than individual brilliance than league.

yamborghinidream

Metal Gear Solid
Apr 14, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
WAFL
The sport's national footprint works against any SOO concept because it is inherently contrived or compromised given that you need 3-4 teams (with the Allies being a meaningless Frankenstein creation)

It lacks the simplicity of QLD v NSW, "too bad for anyone else"

Obzerva

Team Captain
May 3, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
The sport's national footprint works against any SOO concept because it is inherently contrived or compromised given that you need 3-4 teams (with the Allies being a meaningless Frankenstein creation)

It lacks the simplicity of QLD v NSW, "too bad for anyone else"

The Allies really are a Frankenstein, the idea of playing representative football and be in a team built around "not representing the others" is just plain weird.

Back