News AFL to trial new zone rule in second-tier competition next season (Full rule changes inside)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there some form of action fans can take to show disapproval or disappointment in these changes without boycotting games or similar? Is there a way to make voices regarding the rules heard whilst still enjoying the other aspects of watching/going to the football?

Is there some form of action fans can take to show disapproval or disappointment in these changes without boycotting games or similar? Is there a way to make voices regarding the rules heard whilst still enjoying the other aspects of watching/going to the football?

The AFL is only trialing this at the VFL level. No need to protest when you have not seen the results of the trial and the AFL have not indicated whether or not they will bring it into the AFL.

Despite all the men with glasses looking very serious and confident.

I don't think the AFL have any idea how to make the game more open and attractive.
It’s worse than that, I don’t think they even know what they want to achieve.
Is it “open and attractive”? If so, why get rid of 3rd man up, why have the ruck nomination rule?

The AFL is only trialing this at the VFL level. No need to protest when you have not seen the results of the trial and the AFL have not indicated whether or not they will bring it into the AFL.
I think only the zones rule is being trialled, the rest are in the AFL

I may have read it wrong, though the interchange cap, the lateral movement and the kick in manning of the mark are at AFL level?

Sadly until people vote with their feet, they will continue to ruin our once great game.. 😞

Why wait for players to get back into the 50’s ?

Just carry on as normal and the last team with 3 back in the 50’s gets a free against if the players are caught outside

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

I don't buy into the idea that congestion equals bad footy, but the way to fix that is surely just getting everything done quicker. It already takes far too long for ruckmen to nominate at stoppages, this is only going to make things longer and give teams more time to setup defensively.

They just need to let the game naturally evolve into being more attacking, which will come from innovative coaching. Changing the rules every season completely fu**s with the integrity of the game and most of them feel artificial or contrived anyway.

Maybe your right but I think 'innovative' coaching is what has got us into this mess.

Yeah everyone knows what the word trial means, but why should the VFL be used as their guinea pig? Why should the VFL be compromised so heavily and reduced to be the crappy 2nd tier league used to trial the AFLs bright ideas? It's pathetic.

I think the AFL have forgotten that "AFL" isn't a sport, and that Aussie Rules is the sport we love. Under their direction Aussie Rules is becoming an absolute joke.
The 'VFL' isn't the VFL anyway

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

It seems fine to trial new things, don't see a problem with it.

This thread will end up as 50 pages of boomers moaning and "back in my day" type posts though.
Back in my day when footy was fun to watch, lots of goals, lots of great marks, lots of big hits (not punches, genuine hip and shoulders) and one on one contests.

Yep, I'll keep complaining

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy fans: The game is stuffed something needs to change!

AFL: Alters rules to facilitate change

Footy fans: Leave the bloody game alone!
Footy fans: the game is stuffed, the rules you've introduced have made it worse, don't make more changes.

AFL: more changes that aren't needed or won't help

After every stoppage, they will have to wait and reset.

Some things don't need a trial to know they will do more harm than good.
If coaches get their teams playing the game the way it was meant to be played then there won't need to be much resetting. It's the coaches fault that it has come to this.

Sadly until people vote with their feet, they will continue to ruin our once great game..
Yep, they could turn it into a 5 min game with no touch, 4 hrs of commercials and a triangle ball and people would still turn up and they make their money. That's all they care about

Is the big 'natural arc' still allowable or have they changed it to force the player to kick somewhat over the mark?

Young forwards should start extending their run-up arcs laterally before entering the league so they won't be called to play on when they are a few meters to the side of the player manning the mark.

Only in the afl do they long for a game that had not one iota of tactical awareness other than kick it to the fat bloke

Reducing interchanges all that’s going to do is have worse skills it won’t open the game up at all

Easier to enforce back then as there were not the fast paced handballs there are now. Plus these days there are twice as many disposals per match as back in the 80's.

And 50% of the modern game is uncontested. 10-15% at most was uncontested back then. The pressure is far greater now but for far less the contested footy.

Stop bloody going and financing it. That is the only way. The modern fans don’t care about the sport though, it’s just a place to be seen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back