Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency X - Club has elected not to fill list spot - Davey returning from injury?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We only have 5 list spots available, its either

Pick 4, 22, Davey x2, Munkara

Pick 4, Davey x2, Munkara, Mckenna/Eyre (22 would be traded to Future)

Pick 4, Pick 22, Davey x2, Mckenna/Eyre
Or if you're really lucky, we draft with 4 and 22, match bids on Davey1 and Davey2, Munkara slides through the draft & lands on the Category B rookie list, then we sign McKenna DFA to the fifth senior spot, and Eyre as an injury replacement player in the SSP.

One can dream anyway.

Or if you're really lucky, we draft with 4 and 22, match bids on Davey1 and Davey2, Munkara slides through the draft & lands on the Category B rookie list, then we sign McKenna DFA to the fifth senior spot, and Eyre as an injury replacement player in the SSP.

One can dream anyway.
We dont want any significant injuries this preseason though for Eyre

Unless your saying we get George at 22

Oh and did i remember you saying we need to finish the end of draft with 36?
Final list lodgement is on December 1, which is the Friday of draft week. On that date you have to have the senior list and the salary cap all compliant for the following year.

The only remaining opportunities to add players to the senior list between now and then are delisted free agency, the national draft and the pre-season draft.

Given we have 6 rookies signed for next year, we can't have more than 36 senior players either.

So effectively yes, once the drafts are over we have to have 36.

Final list lodgement is on December 1, which is the Friday of draft week. On that date you have to have the senior list and the salary cap all compliant for the following year.

The only remaining opportunities to add players to the senior list between now and then are delisted free agency, the national draft and the pre-season draft.

Given we have 6 rookies signed for next year, we can't have more than 36 senior players either.

So effectively yes, once the drafts are over we have to have 36.
So yeh there is a world where we can draft 4 and then put him on as a DFA or via the draft (which would mean hes the 5th)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's more than likely going to be a later pick than 22. I'd rather use it this year. Anyway, we are not going to agree so I'll just walk away.

I suspect we've got a few plans in place for a live trade, at a guess these are some potential scenarios;

Davey bid comes very early (10 - 15 type thing), we trade 22 out for an F2 + a later selection in this draft for points.
Davey bid comes after (say) pick 16 and we have a trade lined up for 22 + <something> for a Pick 16 / 17 / 18 region to grab a player we like around there.
Davey bid comes in around a late-first but before 22 and we trade it out for an F2 + later selection in this draft, similar to an early bid scenario.
Davey bid comes in after 22 and we take a player there.

Mahoney had a good track record with live-trading and future trading in his time at Melbourne, and Dodoro is many things but not completely inept so I think we'll see a few scenarios lined up depending how the night unfolds.

Davey Jnr is just an awkwardly placed talent, if he wasn't a F/S it seems like he'd go mid-late first round, but as he's a F/S they typically slide back a bit (unless like Ashcroft or Daicos they're clearly head and shoulders above the rest of the options) which puts a bid on him right around the late-first to mid-second range. Clubs don't want to burn their bridges for the future if they're seen to bid wildly ahead of where a player is rated just to make another club pay up. There's a legitimate chance IMO the bid comes in after 22, but the risk is GWS have three picks right in that range, could use a small forward, and McCartney has no love for Dodoro.

Maybe GWS are the one that does a trade with us, agrees not to bid on Davey in exchange for letting us slide up a few spots and they turn 18 in to 22 + an F3 type thing.

Both our picks are very interesting because it's really unclear what we'll do.

F@ck I wish we got that Bowes deal, having two of Tsatas, Humphrey or Phillipou would have been sick.
we pitched for Florini & Sexton for 5 as well.
Im surprised that wasn't more enticing given Geelong's cheap trade, Bowes clearly wanting to stay & being ex-academy & 2x salaries off the books > 1.

So some potential SSP candidates:

Reuben McGuire (21, 196/87, East Fremantle, forward/ruck).

Looks likes guy we're inviting cos we think Bryan and Phillips won't be here next year. He seems to have strong hands at least.

Josh Eyre (20, 198/93, Essendon, Key Defender).

We know Eyre and I doubt he gets a contract. Probably signs to the VFL side if he misses out.

Mitch Szybkowski (18, 186/86, Dandenong, Inside Midfielder).

I've been on the Szybkowski train a while but this is probably a long shot. Strong inside, limited outside game. Think he'll get a VFL contract next year somewhere.

Adam D'Aloia (18, 186/83, Woodville-West Torrens, Inside Midfielder)

Another inside mid who I've liked for a while but I suspect he trains at one of the SA clubs rather than us.

So some potential SSP candidates:

Reuben McGuire (21, 196/87, East Fremantle, forward/ruck).

Looks likes guy we're inviting cos we think Bryan and Phillips won't be here next year. He seems to have strong hands at least.

Josh Eyre (20, 198/93, Essendon, Key Defender).

We know Eyre and I doubt he gets a contract. Probably signs to the VFL side if he misses out.

Mitch Szybkowski (18, 186/86, Dandenong, Inside Midfielder).

I've been on the Szybkowski train a while but this is probably a long shot. Strong inside, limited outside game. Think he'll get a VFL contract next year somewhere.

Adam D'Aloia (18, 186/83, Woodville-West Torrens, Inside Midfielder)

Another inside mid who I've liked for a while but I suspect he trains at one of the SA clubs rather than us.
We invited Brad Lynch to train as well.

I hope we are putting plenty of time into Deven Robertson at the moment as he is out of contract in 2023.

The Jack Bowes deal shows we shouldn't wait till mid year to check in with guys we like under contract as well, especially with heavily capped team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back