Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with the above re: Cats and Dons.

Sydney I reckon are in with a shot too for the best of the rest, bearing in mind Morphett was out for a few weeks at the end and didn't play finals.
The only thing that makes me uncertain about Sydney is how easy their fixture was, getting to play all of the bottom 8 teams, and that surely they'll have a much harder fixture next year. Maybe I'm wrong and they'll be able to handle it, they did look very promising towards the end

The only thing that makes me uncertain about Sydney is how easy their fixture was, getting to play all of the bottom 8 teams, and that surely they'll have a much harder fixture next year. Maybe I'm wrong and they'll be able to handle it, they did look very promising towards the end
They are a fair way off the big 4/5 imo

Crows made them look ordinary

I’d go
Lions/north/crows top tier
Cats/dees second tier
Big gap

Dons/tigers/swans/suns third tier

Then the rest

with the lists more or less complete for 2024 is there any team that will challenge the big 4 (Lions, Roos, Dees and Crows) next year?
It's a clear big 5 now, the Cats are there too.

I think there's a few who could also take the leap pretty soon, my picks would be Richmond (they battled really well through an injury crisis, fit I think they're at least top 6) and Gold Coast the most likely to do it next year. Could see either of them with a good run being competitive in a final against those big 5 teams.

Sydney and Essendon look like they are probably well set up to do it over a longer time frame if they keep the guts of their list together, but surely not next season.

I think it's reasonable to think the growth evidenced across this season from say round 1 to round 9, should probably roughly balance out with the harder top 6 quality draw. Sydney played their best ever game 3 times in 4 weeks, so that's the new benchmark which they weren't capable of in the early part of the season... but they won't hit the level of those games vs the Dogs, Collingwood and Suns every week.

Assume a much harder draw and a couple of hidings at the hands of top sides, and I think winning roughly half their games again, and being around the edge of finals, would then still represent growth for the Swans.

With a bit of luck, one of Port Adelaide's 2023 draftees will average 15+ disposals across 11 games in their first season. So to even bring them up as a potential premiership contender next year is indeed crazy.

I feel like the Bulldogs could win one or more games next year. The exact number of wins will heavily depend on how well they perform. They had 4 of the first 11 picks in the draft, in case anybody didn't know.

I also suspect West Coast might improve next year. The degree to which they improve should be largely determined by the quality of football they play. Daisy Pearce is their new coach, for those who are unaware.

I feel like the Bulldogs could win one or more games next year. The exact number of wins will heavily depend on how well they perform. They had 4 of the first 11 picks in the draft, in case anybody didn't know.

I also suspect West Coast might improve next year. The degree to which they improve should be largely determined by the quality of football they play. Daisy Pearce is their new coach, for those who are unaware.
Going out on a limb there I see.

West Coast to get knocked out first week of Finals by the Saints.
Tiges to make second week of Finals.

Bulldogs to beat Port.

Whatever happened to Kellie Gibson. Used to play for Adelaide and was really exciting to watch. Probably my fav player early days. Went home to Freo and have literally not heard about her once! Obv I can look into it and see what she's up to on wiki but just in general, is it because she's over West or just not that good anymore as the competition has improved? That can probably be said for alot of players

Whatever happened to Kellie Gibson. Used to play for Adelaide and was really exciting to watch. Probably my fav player early days. Went home to Freo and have literally not heard about her once! Obv I can look into it and see what she's up to on wiki but just in general, is it because she's over West or just not that good anymore as the competition has improved? That can probably be said for alot of players
This season was her best at West Coast, and probably better than any season at Freo.

She was flashy, but in consistent, and didn't get that much of the ball.

Not as much impact as her talent would suggest.

Was frequently being mentioned as a delist option at WC a couple of years ago.

But gained a bit of consistency and impact, was our leading goal scorer this year, and just signed a new deal.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

This season was her best at West Coast, and probably better than any season at Freo.

She was flashy, but in consistent, and didn't get that much of the ball.

Not as much impact as her talent would suggest.

Was frequently being mentioned as a delist option at WC a couple of years ago.

But gained a bit of consistency and impact, was our leading goal scorer this year, and just signed a new deal.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app
She was in the All-Australian squad for Fremantle in 2019 and had been a major disappointment at West Coast but had a good season this year.
If West Coast can improve under Daisy, she could finally live up to her potential.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I take it no one has heard a whisper of who the Dogs are considering as coach? Kept pretty quiet but then again we aren’t attention drawers right now.

They can have Natalie Wood, but Brendon Major did a great job of developing the Essendon VFLW side.

Just my guess, but I think Mel Hickey

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
One of the better (pre AFLW) VFLW players. Has been coaching since retirement and apparently is very good. All for her taking the step up. Definitely wouldn't be a token appointment.

It was interesting to read the online comments following the first round of the new Pro Womens Ice Hockey League in Canada over the weekend. A certain sub species of the Male population couldn't wait to get online and run it down. Seems it's not confined to AFLW.
It isn't just men. It is bias from a section of society

It was interesting to read the online comments following the first round of the new Pro Womens Ice Hockey League in Canada over the weekend. A certain sub species of the Male population couldn't wait to get online and run it down. Seems it's not confined to AFLW.
That sucks, the stuff that came across my facebook (FB has obviously decided I like women's sport in general) was very positive and I was feeling happy that they didn't have to deal with as much bullshit!

I guess the targeting works both ways - there are probably (a certain type of) men getting this news because their social media knows they like ice hockey in general. Same reason there are still people commenting on the AFL Women's specific pages who hate it, because they get served to people who aren't actually followers.

It isn't just men. It is bias from a section of society
I don't think that's fair. Whilst there is more men doing it I see quite a lot of women also shitting on womens sports just because its women.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back