Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Its a lot of women, but only older women, I don't think its much of the younger women.
I notice, especially on Twitter it's the RWNJ types. Always moaning about some imagined grievance. Pixelated profile photo, possibly a bot. Definitely a troll.

Speaking of, it's somewhat bizarre seeing how much traction Joey Barton seems to be getting with his frankly pathetic crusade about women on EPL coverage. Like I get people have opinions and are entitled to them, but is there a more pathetic hill to die on than this? Like how sad must some (mainly men) be if this is the thing that 'ruins watching sport' for you.

Speaking of, it's somewhat bizarre seeing how much traction Joey Barton seems to be getting with his frankly pathetic crusade about women on EPL coverage. Like I get people have opinions and are entitled to them, but is there a more pathetic hill to die on than this? Like how sad must some (mainly men) be if this is the thing that 'ruins watching sport' for you.
He seems like a general purpose nutter, twitter full of anti medical shite as well.

On the positive soccer side, I hate the Sam Kerr ACL news but love that I'm being bombarded with it... newspapers writing up every little detail and having it all shoot to the top stories, really feels like a new era.

On the positive soccer side, I hate the Sam Kerr ACL news but love that I'm being bombarded with it... newspapers writing up every little detail and having it all shoot to the top stories, really feels like a new era.

True, but it would be nice to hear more of the Matilda's rather than just the latest on Kerr.

True, but it would be nice to hear more of the Matilda's rather than just the latest on Kerr.
yeah, I guess in a way too much adulation of Kerr just makes her more similar to some of the iconic female athletes in individual sports that we've had before. What I like and hope for more of nowadays is greater interest in women's team sports like AFL and soccer. I feel like there's something different about being a fan of team vs individual sports... the range of personalities in a team, seeing women working together, something I wish I had more to look up to when I was a kid.

Anne Hatchard won the Louisiana Quarter Marathon over the weekend and came 4th overall. Well done.
A shame she'll never leave the Crows, she would look good in Royal Blue & White, playing alongside Garner, Riddell and Bruton. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noticed some women’s teams (freo and eagles) have been training already at the club.

I thought they had mandatory time off and weren’t allowed to train at the club atm?
Kinda like how you thought "determined compensation" and "announced compensation" were the same thing?

Noticed some women’s teams (freo and eagles) have been training already at the club.

I thought they had mandatory time off and weren’t allowed to train at the club atm?
Per the CBA they are allowed voluntary unpaid use of the club facilities. The clubs are not allowed to ask them to come in.

That makes sense
But does that include them coming in club gear and training (including with the men’s program?)
They can go to a gym in club training gear I would have thought. And if that gym is the gym at the club, why would that be an issue?

Most players will be maintaining a fitness program off season, and the most convenient place for them to go, with all the facilities they need, would be the club (and they don't have to pay).

Even local footy clubs have guys that get together to train before the club's actual pre season starts.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

They can go to a gym in club training gear I would have thought. And if that gym is the gym at the club, why would that be an issue?

Most players will be maintaining a fitness program off season, and the most convenient place for them to go, with all the facilities they need, would be the club (and they don't have to pay).

Even local footy clubs have guys that get together to train before the club's actual pre season starts.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah that’s fine but was surprised to see the freo women’s team doing a training session with the men’s at this time of year

For comparison all north women’s players currently on their mandatory holiday and away from the club

Yeah that’s fine but was surprised to see the freo women’s team doing a training session with the men’s at this time of year

For comparison all north women’s players currently on their mandatory holiday and away from the club
I think it relates to being mandatory, and assessed. It is a fine line. Clubs, even the clubs that currently have sent players on mandatory holidays, expect them to return in decent shape. So, to continue training in some fashion, is sort of expected.

So, they cannot train, but they sort of have to train, and therefore, where is the line, is there a line, in reality?

I think it relates to being mandatory, and assessed. It is a fine line. Clubs, even the clubs that currently have sent players on mandatory holidays, expect them to return in decent shape. So, to continue training in some fashion, is sort of expected.

So, they cannot train, but they sort of have to train, and therefore, where is the line, is there a line, in reality?
The line i assumed was with training in their own time/off season (at home or at club) but with coaches not around

Which is what surprised me with freo and eagles latest sessions

Once official preseason begins then back to normal with coaches etc but until then DIY

Probably one of the best ways to actually train for players in a lot of cases, especially in situations where they're not getting ready for a full winter season in the VFLW or similarly high level equivalent.

Eg in NSW where no VFL level comp exists, if players couldn't have access to club staff and facilities, they'd be falling behind over the AFLW off season yeah?

That makes sense
But does that include them coming in club gear and training (including with the men’s program?)
Don't see why not. "Here are some fitness sessions we're running with the blokes this week that you can come and join in if you want to". With both clubs it looks far from the full squad at the sessions.

I would think clubs try to stay well on the correct side of the offers/suggestions/expectations spectrum, but yes some girls might feel pressure to do extra sessions if others are doing them, as they do/have also during the season, if they think their fitness is an issue.

Will be great when they're all just full time.

From "all of our VFLW coaches are women..."
25 November 2020:
Hawthorn will become the first AFL club in VFLW/AFLW history to field an all-female coaching panel, after today announcing that all positions within its VFLW coaching structure will be held by women.
With only one female head coach across the entire AFLW competition and five across the VFLW, Hawthorn identified the need to develop more female coaches.

to "some of our AFLW coaches are women..."
10 June 2022:
Current Hawks VFLW Coach Cherie O’Neill will take on the role of Game Development & Line Support Coach, while Lou Wotton (Forwards Coach), David Mackay (Midfield Coach) Brady Grey (Backline Coach) will look after each line. Rounding out the AFLW coaching panel is the already-appointed Strategy & Opposition Coach Keegan Brooksby.

and now "our new AFLW coach is a man, but what matters is he's an outstanding coach and fantastic person."
5 Feb 2024:

Well I guess this is growing up. But, ouch, rarely does it look so hypocritical. Almost makes it seem as if Hawthorn's all-female-coaches thing was a publicity stunt. Like the time they appointed an under-qualified woman as CEO, who was sacked after five months.

Anyway, that's done and done, now just waiting on the Bulldogs. I wonder what's taking them so long--perhaps struggling with the "fantastic person" qualifier?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back