AFLW Sign and Trade - Official Player Movements Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

with all trades and dfa done

Assuming all other players don’t get delisted how many list spots does each team have for the overage draft?

North have 29 players so just 1 spot open

I saw this a couple of days ago and it seems the simplest explanation of currently open spots

Adelaide came through on their longstanding promise to sign Jess Allan when her army commitments allowed a return to SA. Also gave Nurse Varnhagen another contract, despite her efforts to drag the club through the mud. Two average-at-best players by AFLW standards, it would've been easy to cut and run.

Compare that to: the hatchet jobs by Carlton and Collingwood on a number of stalwarts; Brisbane's mistreatment of their best-ever players slash premiership heroes. Speaks volumes in the reap-what-you-sow department.

Meanwhile the Bulldogs have delisted Amanda Ling at age 20, BOG in the 2021 NAB League GF. Another reason to laugh at the "not enough talent for 18 teams" notion. Most clubs' idea of development: cut after one year if they aren't already starring and let somebody else figure it out.

You can bet Fremantle were strongly considering the old Cain n Haynes move on Roxanne Roux (premature delist, then act like it never happened if she comes good in the WAFLW) until Amy Franklin's trade request.

Aaand I'm done for now. I have something to say about club sponsors releasing video games (highly relevant to the outside-the-cap player payments discussion earlier in the thread), but I'll save it for another time.

Adelaide came through on their longstanding promise to sign Jess Allan when her army commitments allowed a return to SA. Also gave Nurse Varnhagen another contract, despite her efforts to drag the club through the mud. Two average-at-best players by AFLW standards, it would've been easy to cut and run.

Compare that to: the hatchet jobs by Carlton and Collingwood on a number of stalwarts; Brisbane's mistreatment of their best-ever players slash premiership heroes. Speaks volumes in the reap-what-you-sow department.

Meanwhile the Bulldogs have delisted Amanda Ling at age 20, BOG in the 2021 NAB League GF. Another reason to laugh at the "not enough talent for 18 teams" notion. Most clubs' idea of development: cut after one year if they aren't already starring and let somebody else figure it out.

You can bet Fremantle were strongly considering the old Cain n Haynes move on Roxanne Roux (premature delist, then act like it never happened if she comes good in the WAFLW) until Amy Franklin's trade request.

Aaand I'm done for now. I have something to say about club sponsors releasing video games (highly relevant to the outside-the-cap player payments discussion earlier in the thread), but I'll save it for another time.
Will you actually explain how players were mistreated at Brisbane?

Because you’re the only poster saying such 💩.

Only thing we’ve heard on the Brisbane board is that there was a split between Bates and Zielke, and that carried over to the playing group.

There’s not been any word ever about players being mistreated, certainly by Starcevich.

This is what a turd coach says: "Our best-ever player is stupid for wanting to earn a proper wage." And that's after failing to sufficiently support the 2nd-best player who committed the sin of getting struck by lightning while trying to make ends meet.

Hence if you're further down the totem pole--like Greta Bodey or Jesse Wardlaw--what conclusions can be drawn about the club's longterm prioritisation of your wellbeing (as a person, and not just some emotionless Sherrin-kicking machine).

We saw the answers over the past month, and frankly the league is better off now that all the prodigies (Fleming, Ham, Patrikios, etc.) have masters (Bates, Molloy, Lambert and so on) to learn from. Sound decisions for football, in my book.

By the way. Jade Pregelj, synonymous with Queensland women's footy since well before AFLW came along. The Lions' latest recruit is practically a nobody as far as the Brisbane BF board is concerned, so thankfully I don't get my information from there.

This is what a turd coach says: "Our best-ever player is stupid for wanting to earn a proper wage." And that's after failing to sufficiently support the 2nd-best player who committed the sin of getting struck by lightning while trying to make ends meet.

Hence if you're further down the totem pole--like Greta Bodey or Jesse Wardlaw--what conclusions can be drawn about the club's longterm prioritisation of your wellbeing (as a person, and not just some emotionless Sherrin-kicking machine).

We saw the answers over the past month, and frankly the league is better off now that all the prodigies (Fleming, Ham, Patrikios, etc.) have masters (Bates, Molloy, Lambert and so on) to learn from. Sound decisions for football, in my book.

By the way. Jade Pregelj, synonymous with Queensland women's footy since well before AFLW came along. The Lions' latest recruit is practically a nobody as far as the Brisbane BF board is concerned, so thankfully I don't get my information from there.
So you don’t actually have anything of substance, just the voices in your head you project on to Starcevich.

And then you draw conclusions from your own projections.

For some reason you have an irrational dislike for Starcevich which doesn’t marry up with anything that’s come out of QLD footy or the Lions playing group.

Obviously you only read things that support your world view. There are posters on our board who have clearly talked about Pregelj’s abilities.

Secondly, your trying to disparage new fans to supporting women’s football, for your own aggrandisement.

I’ve said it before, you have a wealth of knowledge of the sport, but you behave as if you’re the only person who “owns” the supporter space and you’d prefer everyone else to f-off.

Jess Allan is a far above average AFLW player imop. Better than her sister was the early word.

And no, exceedingly unlikely that Freo contemplated moving on Roux.

Varnhagen, yes, bog average.

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jess Allan is a far above average AFLW player imop. Better than her sister was the early word.
If you're 185cm and couldn't manage 1 mark per game in your most recent season, you haven't earned the right to be called an above-average AFLW player.

"Early word" = people with nfi who think taller means better, when in fact the smaller one always had a far stronger grasp of the fundamentals. Same mistakes were made about the Prespakis sisters (which, the BF records show, you also bought into). Speaking of...

And no, exceedingly unlikely that Freo contemplated moving on Roux.
Kinda like last year when a clueless chappy on here was trying to tell me "you're lying, there's no chance Fremantle are trying to get M Prespakis".

Then a few months later a News Corp journalist 'confirmed' I was right, which is kinda like Rolf Harris praising a Monet, c'est la vie.

J'en mettrais ma main au feu: If Roxcan't have a solid 2023, Fremantle will be ruthlessly taking a meat cleaver to her this time next year.

If you're 185cm and couldn't manage 1 mark per game in your most recent season, you haven't earned the right to be called an above-average AFLW player.

"Early word" = people with nfi who think taller means better, when in fact the smaller one always had a far stronger grasp of the fundamentals. Same mistakes were made about the Prespakis sisters (which, the BF records show, you also bought into). Speaking of...

Kinda like last year when a clueless chappy on here was trying to tell me "you're lying, there's no chance Fremantle are trying to get M Prespakis".

Then a few months later a News Corp journalist 'confirmed' I was right, which is kinda like Rolf Harris praising a Monet, c'est la vie.

J'en mettrais ma main au feu: If Roxcan't have a solid 2023, Fremantle will be ruthlessly taking a meat cleaver to her this time next year.
?

At this point, I am more than comfortable saying, Georgia will end up a better player than Maddie, and quite comfortably. And arguably already is.

Many of her stats are better already, and despite a slightly slower start than Maddie, has passed her imop, and I expect the gap to get bigger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

?

At this point, I am more than comfortable saying, Georgia will end up a better player than Maddie, and quite comfortably. And arguably already is.

Many of her stats are better already, and despite a slightly slower start than Maddie, has passed her imop, and I expect the gap to get bigger.
Well if you still haven't figured out it's Georgie and not Georgia, how much attention are you really paying.

"Slighty slower start" = best-ever season by an 18yo vs non-factor in the Rising Star
"Many of her stats" = just not the small ones like kicks, handballs, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, marks, goals, club B&Fs, league B&Fs

Do you even know this, dawg...
Answer: Maddy
(fluent with both feet, whereas Georgie kicks it with her shin)

Well if you still haven't figured out it's Georgie and not Georgia, how much attention are you really paying.

"Slighty slower start" = best-ever season by an 18yo vs non-factor in the Rising Star
"Many of her stats" = just not the small ones like kicks, handballs, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, marks, goals, club B&Fs, league B&Fs

What did Brisbane do that was mistreatment towards their players? I’m asking out of interest as I haven’t heard this before.

What did Brisbane do that was mistreatment towards their players? I’m asking out of interest as I haven’t heard this before.
Can you read? I'm asking out of interest as I've already referenced this:
Two weeks after the lightning strike, Wuetschner had a breakdown and tried anti-anxiety medication, which had an adverse reaction that ended up making her situation worse.
Wuetschner played an integral role in the Lions’ 2021 premiership win and was a two-time leading goalkicker for the club.

She took time off in season six to focus on her mental health and wellbeing and wasn’t offered a contract from Brisbane for season seven.

Why was a star player working on the docks at 3am? Because Brisbane don't pay their players well--not entirely BL's fault, but here's the ultimatum given to the players:

Stay, juggle football with a shitty job, let it wreck your life and wait to be delisted
OR
Leave, get decent money for playing football, wait for former coach to snipe you in the media

Classy stuff. And people have the gumption to make an issue of the loyalty of the players (not the clubs). Unbelievable. To summarise: credit to the Crows for showing a splash of respect for these athletes, in a landscape where many clubs fail to do so.

Why was a star player working on the docks at 3am? Because Brisbane don't pay their players well--not entirely BL's fault, but here's the ultimatum given to the players:

Stay, juggle football with a shitty job, let it wreck your life and wait to be delisted
OR
Leave, get decent money for playing football, wait for former coach to snipe you in the media

Classy stuff. And people have the gumption to make an issue of the loyalty of the players (not the clubs). Unbelievable. To summarise: credit to the Crows for showing a splash of respect for these athletes, in a landscape where many clubs fail to do so.
Only speaking personally but I would always advocate players leaving if they are offered an amount of money that improves their financial situation. You only have a short time in the game.

I guess she was working at 3am as it was her job? As in Lily Mithen works at a real estate company for example. I’m not sure I get how Brisbane are to blame for her career choice?

I guess she was working at 3am as it was her job? As in Lily Mithen works at a real estate company for example. I’m not sure I get how Brisbane are to blame for her career choice?
Her career choice was to stay at Brisbane and juggle football with a shitty job, rather than go to North Melbourne and make decent money from football. She showed loyalty to Brisbane, paid a dear price for it, still won them a flag... and got not support but delisted at age 29 in return.

Only speaking personally but I would always advocate players leaving if they are offered an amount of money that improves their financial situation. You only have a short time in the game.
And even if you were an AFLW coach, you probably wouldn't publicly criticise the players (whose wellbeing you're supposed to care about) when they make decisions that substantially improve their life off the field.

Her career choice was to stay at Brisbane and juggle football with a shitty job, rather than go to North Melbourne and make decent money from football. She showed loyalty to Brisbane, paid a dear price for it, still won them a flag... and got not support but delisted at age 29 in return.

And even if you were an AFLW coach, you probably wouldn't publicly criticise the players (whose wellbeing you're supposed to care about) when they make decisions that substantially improve their life off the field.
Yer I’m not sure what the coach said but I would just leave it.

The game is littered with players that make sacrifices and then get delisted hence why I would have moved if I was her. I’m assuming she still would have worked somewhere if she moved to North Melbourne.

OR

People choose their jobs. That was her choice.

She was injured on her “job”, not while playing footy.

It’s he employers responsibility to support her through that.

The whole league works within a salary cap. If we’re loaded with stars, under a strict salary cap, with wage tiers, our hands are tied and we have to choose who we pay.

This is a sporting competition, and as much as everyone one empathises with Wuetschner’s injury and mental health problems, they didn’t occur within the football space.

So still waiting for you to provide actual evidence we mistreat our players.

Again, this reeks of your personal dislike of Starcevich.

Slightly amused by you seeming to take me saying I think GeorgIE is going to be better than Maddie as some sort of personal insult to you, and some sort of statement that I dont think Maddie is very good. Neither is true.

I might be upset by you being unable to have a footy conversation without getting narky and hostile, but given it seems to be the only way you can converse, all is good.

It’s really aggressive almost like there is a personal connection to the two Essendon listed players?

Potentially works, plays, involved with the team?

To reiterate, I didn't single out poor old Brisbane for their horrendous treatment of star players.

I also referenced the misdeeds of several other clubs, but the discussion for some reason became focussed on Brisbane's horrendous treatment of star players, which I am shattered about.

Slightly amused by you seeming to take me saying I think GeorgIE is going to be better than Maddie as some sort of personal insult to you, and some sort of statement that I dont think Maddie is very good. Neither is true.

I might be upset by you being unable to have a footy conversation without getting narky and hostile, but given it seems to be the only way you can converse, all is good.
Your player assessments were really bad imo and evidently not based on some basic facts (not just for Prespakis x2, but also Jess Allan), so I picked them apart. Pure football talk.

To reiterate, I didn't single out poor old Brisbane for their horrendous treatment of star players.

I also referenced the misdeeds of several other clubs, but the discussion for some reason became focussed on Brisbane's horrendous treatment of star players, which I am shattered about.

Your player assessments were really bad imo and evidently not based on some basic facts (not just for Prespakis x2, but also Jess Allan), so I picked them apart. Pure football talk.
But it’s not. Many posters here over the time I’ve been here have commented on your aggressive posting and personal insults in your replies.

Everyone is here to talk about something they like (most of the time).

As for the focus on Brisbane, you made unfounded claims against the club I support, so I called you out on it.

Because I’m not a fan of the other clubs, and don’t know about the players/situations you mentioned, I didn’t mention them.

You still haven’t demonstrated that Brisbane mistreats its players, nor have you shown where Starcevich publicly named and criticised a player for leaving.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back