AFLCA voting

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are so many Geelong supporters so defensive and one eyed?

Such an insecure bunch you lot.
Says the guy who made a thread about Collingwood players not receiving enough credit from an opposition coach. As if the 18 months of unprecedented media fellation isn't enough despite the fact that so far this current group hasn't actually achieved any success of note so far besides home and away wins.

Two wrongs make a right?

Why not just acknowledge Scott was clearly taking the piss. He ain’t the first coach to do it, so I’m not singling him out, but at least acknowledge its flawed and Scott has continued the trend.
Do you actually know who voted for who? If not it's pretty disgusting to slander Scott like this.

If one coach gave Geelong players the top 3 best om ground I'd bet money it was MacRae and not Scott. I could see MacRae doing that thinking they were actually the 3 best players. Even if Scott thought that I reckon he would put some Collingwood players higher to not appear biased.

I think this is the most accurate of the awards. Not perfect, but the best we have.

Coaches have a better understanding of roles than the umps do. Empirically, I think we also see more votes for rucks and defenders in here vs Brownlow.

Lots of fans seem to prefer the MVP award. But I think that is the weakest of the three. Yes, it's voted on by the players. But it's an end-of-season vote, not game-by-game. So it's the most easily influenced by public opinion and momentum at the end of the season.

I have been meaning to run proper stats on this for a while, but I think there are a few coaches out there who seem to be more biased to their own players.

I did some basic analysis a few years ago. From memory, Bevo seemed to regularly vote for his own players at a much higher rate than other coaches (based on assumptions of which coach voted for whom). I think there are a couple of other culprits (I think Hardwick and one other that escapes me).

Says the guy who made a thread about Collingwood players not receiving enough credit from an opposition coach. As if the 18 months of unprecedented media fellation isn't enough despite the fact that so far this current group hasn't actually achieved any success of note so far besides home and away wins.
Go back to post #1 and read it again, I DGAF about Collingwood players getting votes from coaches, it’s not what I’m trying to discuss.

It’s coaches giving extra votes to their own players despite opposition players having better games. Cameron kicked 7 (3 of them were given to him) yet it’s deemed a better game than Daicos, who made sure Collingwood won. This doesn’t mean Cameron didn’t deserve ANY votes, or that players from losing teams shouldn’t get ANY votes. How is this so hard to comprehend?

Do you actually know who voted for who? If not it's pretty disgusting to slander Scott like this.

If one coach gave Geelong players the top 3 best om ground I'd bet money it was MacRae and not Scott. I could see MacRae doing that thinking they were actually the 3 best players. Even if Scott thought that I reckon he would put some Collingwood players higher to not appear biased.
Did you watch the post game presser from Scott? 😂 the guy is the biggest sour puss in the competition. He probably thought the top 6 players were all Cats players and he cut it down to 3 in his votes.

So despite the flawed individual breakdown (because I agree that both coaches should have picked your top 2 in those positions), it still more or less worked out to be what it should've been on aggregate - as far as ranking the top 5 or so. Making the OP's screeching a little unnecessary. I wouldn't have batted an eyelid of Daicos was on 9 and Cameron on 6. Brownlow night may see Daicos BOG.

But you can absolutely have losing sides carried by a few players while the opposition won through a greater spread of contributions. Collingwood had more overall winners. It doesn't mean their best players HAD to be ranked higher too.

Was very interesting to see Daicos rated 8th best by AFL player ratings (a system I think has merit but certainly some flaws). Player ratings greatly rewards winning contests that generate scores as opposed to getting uncontested ball …. not sure it has to a balance right to rate J Daicos 8th BOG …. or maybe it’s us supporters who rate things that catch the eye but don’t actually influence the results of games ..?!?? Daicos had only 9 of his 39 contested and 8 x SI’s ..both 7th best for the game. And he had no goals, no goal assists and just 2 x inside 50’s.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was very interesting to see Daicos rated 8th best by AFL player ratings (a system I think has merit but certainly some flaws). Player ratings greatly rewards winning contests that generate scores as opposed to getting uncontested ball …. not sure it has to a balance right to rate J Daicos 8th BOG …. or maybe it’s us supporters who rate things that catch the eye but don’t actually influence the results of games ..?!?? Daicos had only 9 of his 39 contested and 8 x SI’s ..both 7th best for the game. And he had no goals, no goal assists and just 2 x inside 50’s.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That’s the flaw in itself.

Each team plays differently, and Collingwood’s weapon is quick transition off HB. Daicos is a huge part of that weapon for us, yet it doesn’t seem to translate to a high player rating.

That’s the flaw in itself.

Each team plays differently, and Collingwood’s weapon is quick transition off HB. Daicos is a huge part of that weapon for us, yet it doesn’t seem to translate to a high player rating.
'Quick transition off half back' - I recently learnt Bachar Houli was the 27th rated player in the 2017 Grand Final.

Methinks Player Ratings need to revisit their algorithm.

This is just as much a shambles as the Brownlow medal.

People place a higher value on this than the Brownlow just because umpires give votes to midfielders, yet I regularly see coaches giving votes to their own players after a loss, clearly being sour about the game’s results.

Outside the first quarter, Friday night’s game was pretty much all Collingwood. Margin even blowing out to almost 5 goals before a few junktime goals by the Cats when the game was iced. Effectively a 50 point turnaround from midway through the first quarter to midway through the last.

Someone explain to me how Scott then gives his top 3 players on the ground to Cats players.

View attachment 1773975
View attachment 1773977

Mind you, Cameron’s 7 goals consisted of 2 being spoonfed by the umpires and 1 over the top handball from Henry.

From a neutral perspective, Henry kicked 4 and set up one of Cameron’s, so feel his output was just as crucial, yet he got zero votes.

I bring this up as it is not a one off occurrence and have previously seen coaches give votes to their own players first despite losing, which takes away from the credibility of the AFLCA being more ‘accurate’ than the Brownlow medal as so many like to claim it to be.
Have you asked your coach why he gave Cameron 4 votes?

Have you asked your coach why he gave Cameron 4 votes?
Says the person who created a thread whining about coaches votes :drunk:

You dont even know which coach either, just guessing - now that's peak whine.
How embarrassingly delusional must you guys be if you really believe Scott isn’t a sore loser who’d vote as per the OP.

Yep, insecurity levels are at maximum. Who really cares what some coach votes for gods sake, let alone make a thread about it....
You’re right. So we don’t hurt some Geelong supporter’s feelings we should close down BF and not discuss anything at all.

You’re right. So we don’t hurt some Geelong supporter’s feelings we should close down BF and not discuss anything at all.

Here here, have a tissue.

images

You just know these threads are started by supporters of clubs who can't fathom that the opposition coach has a different opinion to couch-potato experts.

Can understand the Danger and Cameron love from Scott as I also thought they were dominant and top 3 or 4 on the ground as individuals.

But do think he should of had J.Daicos were Atkins was.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back