AFLCA voting

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this is the most accurate of the awards. Not perfect, but the best we have.

Coaches have a better understanding of roles than the umps do. Empirically, I think we also see more votes for rucks and defenders in here vs Brownlow.

Lots of fans seem to prefer the MVP award. But I think that is the weakest of the three. Yes, it's voted on by the players. But it's an end-of-season vote, not game-by-game. So it's the most easily influenced by public opinion and momentum at the end of the season.
I think the spread of votes is better too. Where both coaches get a 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, there's potentially (however unlikely) 10 players who get votes in each game.
In a 3, 2, 1 system, where only 3 players out of 46 can get votes, there's always likely to be another 3-4 players considered worthy of votes who miss out.

Go back to post #1 and read it again, I DGAF about Collingwood players getting votes from coaches, it’s not what I’m trying to discuss.

It’s coaches giving extra votes to their own players despite opposition players having better games. Cameron kicked 7 (3 of them were given to him) yet it’s deemed a better game than Daicos, who made sure Collingwood won. This doesn’t mean Cameron didn’t deserve ANY votes, or that players from losing teams shouldn’t get ANY votes. How is this so hard to comprehend?

1) Claims that doesn't care about Collingwood players not getting votes.

2) Then rants about Collingwood players not getting enough votes.

2a) Also mentions Jeremy Cameron in eight separate posts in this thread.

If you really care about discussing the validity of AFLCA voting, bring some real analysis and multiple examples from the season you think are biased.

If you want posters to take you seriously, maybe don't focus all your energy on one match where a guy kicked 7 goals and was voted BOG BY BOTH COACHES.... But apparently the whole the god damn system is broken because YOU think another player deserved to be BOG :rolleyes:

If you really care about discussing the validity of AFLCA voting, bring some real analysis and multiple examples from the season you think are biased.

If you want posters to take you seriously, maybe don't focus all your energy on one match where a guy kicked 7 goals and was voted BOG BY BOTH COACHES.... But apparently the whole the god damn system is broken because YOU think another player deserved to be BOG :rolleyes:
Why’re you being so dramatic? When did I say the whole system was broken?

You think I give a s**t if you take me seriously or not? Don’t get personal and just discuss the topic instead of attacking me personally.

I raised something about the way coaches vote, when compared to the Brownlow, and gave an example.

Just add me to the ignore list if my postings irritate you so much instead of having such a whinge about what I say and how I say it.

I thought Daicos was very good. Clearly he had a lot of the ball and his disposal efficiency was high (as it should’ve been with the space he was given, grrrrr).

But perhaps 1 vote (whichever coach it was cast by) was not a bad summation of his output and overall impact?

His 9 score involvement ranked behind Cameron, Adams, Dangerfield and Henry and alongside Atkins. All bar Atkins and Daicos had goal assists or goals also credited to them. Degoey also had 8 score involvements and a goal assist. Additionally, Daicos only had two inside 50s (Danger 11, Adams 5, Duncan 5, Lipinski 4, Mitchell 3).

A very good night at the office no doubt but perhaps not the most impactful person on the ground.

I thought Daicos was very good. Clearly he had a lot of the ball and his disposal efficiency was high (as it should’ve been with the space he was given, grrrrr).

But perhaps 1 vote (whichever coach it was cast by) was not a bad summation of his output and overall impact?

His 9 score involvement ranked behind Cameron, Adams, Dangerfield and Henry and alongside Atkins. All bar Atkins and Daicos had goal assists or goals also credited to them. Degoey also had 8 score involvements and a goal assist. Additionally, Daicos only had two inside 50s (Danger 11, Adams 5, Duncan 5, Lipinski 4, Mitchell 3).

A very good night at the office no doubt but perhaps not the most impactful person on the ground.

Good summary/breakdown.

Hand on heart, my purpose of this thread wasn’t about whether Daicos deserved more or not, just that the coaches voting is just as flawed as the umpire voting in the Brownlow, which people regularly bitch and moan about.

It has been acknowledged by plenty that AFLCA voting also has flaws, which was my only point.

Re Friday night’s game, I raise the question on Henry’s game vs Cameron’s as an example. Cameron kicked 7, of which 1 was dubious, and 2 were spoon fed (Close and Henry). Henry ended up with 4 and that 1 goal assist whilst Cameron earned 4 of his own.

Henry gets zero votes and Cameron gets 9.

Again, not saying one is undeserved, but surely a disparity is evident. Daicos is just one small, separate example of a flawed voting system.

But but but.....Daicooooooooosss.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back