AFLCA voting

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
This is just as much a shambles as the Brownlow medal.

People place a higher value on this than the Brownlow just because umpires give votes to midfielders, yet I regularly see coaches giving votes to their own players after a loss, clearly being sour about the game’s results.

Outside the first quarter, Friday night’s game was pretty much all Collingwood. Margin even blowing out to almost 5 goals before a few junktime goals by the Cats when the game was iced. Effectively a 50 point turnaround from midway through the first quarter to midway through the last.

Someone explain to me how Scott then gives his top 3 players on the ground to Cats players.

IMG_1654.jpeg
IMG_1653.jpeg

Mind you, Cameron’s 7 goals consisted of 2 being spoonfed by the umpires and 1 over the top handball from Henry.

From a neutral perspective, Henry kicked 4 and set up one of Cameron’s, so feel his output was just as crucial, yet he got zero votes.

I bring this up as it is not a one off occurrence and have previously seen coaches give votes to their own players first despite losing, which takes away from the credibility of the AFLCA being more ‘accurate’ than the Brownlow medal as so many like to claim it to be.

I agree some people proclaim it as the gospel but at the end of the day coaches are just people.
Some coaches shamelessly vote for own players for various reasons and some coaches give all the credit to the oppo because they’re harsh critics of their own stars!
For no one at a WA club ever winning it seems weird.
Not Judd Fyfe Pav cousins Neale cox who all have had dominant seasons and called by various commentators at the time the best player/ most impactful in the league

Not related, but an interesting stat, 16 of the 22 winners have been 25 or younger.

Buckley being the oldest winner at 30 and Goodwin second oldest at 29.

8 winners are 23 and younger.

Almost like a reward for players having their breakout season, and less about the superstars consistently performing.

Yeah it's certainly flawed.

When voting for their own players, the coaches will know what they've been asking of each player and might reward/penalise a player for something we as the public aren't aware of.

When voting for players of the other side, it looks like they don't really put much thought into it.

At the end of the day, all of the awards have their strengths and flaws, but the Brownlow is still the main one.

Someone's angry.

So much fluff about Cameron... McCrae had him as 2nd best on ground.
Both coaches had Dangerfield in the best 5 players.

Have had times in the last season or so where I've thought Longmuir votes for his players generously. I'm sure all coaches do it to some degree.
Two rounds to go and the voting seems to have a reasonably good understanding of who has been the best players in 2023.
99Nick DaicosCOLL
92Zak ButtersPORT
90Christian PetraccaMELB
87Marcus BontempelliWB
80Connor RozeePORT
74Toby GreeneGWS
73Zach MerrettESS
73Lachie NealeBL
71Noah AndersonGCFC
71Jordan DawsonADEL

A
Someone's angry.

Have had times in the last season or so where I've thought Longmuir votes for his players generously. I'm sure all coaches do it to some degree.
Two rounds to go and the voting seems to have a reasonably good understanding of who has been the best players in 2023.
99Nick DaicosCOLL
92Zak ButtersPORT
90Christian PetraccaMELB
87Marcus BontempelliWB
80Connor RozeePORT
74Toby GreeneGWS
73Zach MerrettESS
73Lachie NealeBL
71Noah AndersonGCFC
71Jordan DawsonADEL
Art are you talking about last year when AB the MVP was 8th in voting and the only freo player in the top 20 in a top 6 team?

I'm a pies supporter and agree with the votes. Jezza, Daicos and Danger were easily the best 3 players on the ground, expect to see all 3 feature in the brownlow voting on the night as well. Nothing to see here

This is just as much a shambles as the Brownlow medal.

People place a higher value on this than the Brownlow just because umpires give votes to midfielders, yet I regularly see coaches giving votes to their own players after a loss, clearly being sour about the game’s results.

Outside the first quarter, Friday night’s game was pretty much all Collingwood. Margin even blowing out to almost 5 goals before a few junktime goals by the Cats when the game was iced. Effectively a 50 point turnaround from midway through the first quarter to midway through the last.

Someone explain to me how Scott then gives his top 3 players on the ground to Cats players.

View attachment 1773975
View attachment 1773977

Mind you, Cameron’s 7 goals consisted of 2 being spoonfed by the umpires and 1 over the top handball from Henry.

From a neutral perspective, Henry kicked 4 and set up one of Cameron’s, so feel his output was just as crucial, yet he got zero votes.

I bring this up as it is not a one off occurrence and have previously seen coaches give votes to their own players first despite losing, which takes away from the credibility of the AFLCA being more ‘accurate’ than the Brownlow medal as so many like to claim it to be.

Somewhat revisionist.
Geelong were clearly the better side for the first quarter, and bar two goals completely against the run of play in the last as well.

Collingwood were ‘better’ when they were on top but that’s somewhat different to what you claimed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because its the best players on the ground, not best team.

I agree some people proclaim it as the gospel but at the end of the day coaches are just people.
Some coaches shamelessly vote for own players for various reasons and some coaches give all the credit to the oppo because they’re harsh critics of their own stars!
Not Judd Fyfe Pav cousins Neale cox who all have had dominant seasons and called by various commentators at the time the best player/ most impactful in the league

there was literally a season where fyfe was in the lead but was out injured and the opposition coach said he "made sure he looked after" his player to beat him.

Its worse than the brownlow imo.

Same as if the media were picking it, they would pick players for the "story" (ie: the norm smith - Brian Lake winning in the GF 2013 is a classic example)

Judd and Fyfe are I’m pretty sure the record holders for most votes first 10 rounds - both seasons they broke down in.

Someone's angry.

99Nick DaicosCOLL
92Zak ButtersPORT
90Christian PetraccaMELB
87Marcus BontempelliWB
80Connor RozeePORT
74Toby GreeneGWS
73Zach MerrettESS
73Lachie NealeBL
71Noah AndersonGCFC
71Jordan DawsonADEL
To the OPs credit, Chris Scott surely was taking the P15S . Not in any world was Atkins better then Daicos on Friday night, no problem with Cameron getting BOG however.

To the OPs credit, Chris Scott surely was taking the P15S . Not in any world was Atkins better then Daicos on Friday night, no problem with Cameron getting BOG however.
Could say the same about McRae.

How was 17 touches from Noble better than 26, 11 I50, 9 clearances from Dangerfield.

Both Frampton and Murphy spent time on Cameron yet Murphy is in his votes.. If not for the work on Cameron it must be the massive task of stopping 3rd gamer Neale.

Maybe I'm biased but I thought Daicos, Cameron, Dangerfield and Atkins were clearly the best 4 on the ground. But Collingwood probably had 12 of the next 15 while about 10 of Geelong's team had absolute stinkers. The votes don't look that bad to me and I'm unconvinced that it was Scott rather than McRae who gave more votes to the Geelong players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back