AFLW 2017 - R2 - What have you liked, learnt or hated?

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked: a noticeable lift in the standard from week one; great atmosphere at the Carlton v GWS game; seeing Melbourne's comeback against Collingwood

Learnt: more player names

Hated: some stubborn arseholes say they hate women's footy and the coverage and attention it is getting, but still post in every thread related to it

Not scared at all, just stating the facts :)

Adelaide are more passionate and turn up at the drop of a hat (Port Adelaide not so much :D).

Even so the under 10's use the ball a lot better than these "AFLW" players :p

There was improvement from week 1 to week 2. I think as you said the decision making leaves a lot to be desired. It's going to be a different game requiring different tactics of course. Hopefully the W sorts out what kind of league it wants to be before people lose interest.

Liked: a noticeable lift in the standard from week one; great atmosphere at the Carlton v GWS game; seeing Melbourne's comeback against Collingwood

Learnt: more player names

Hated: some stubborn arseholes say they hate women's footy and the coverage and attention it is getting, but still post in every thread related to it
Personally I like the women's football, as do all of my family. It's enjoyable to watch and the girls' obvious joy and enthusiasm in playing it is infectious. However, it is entirely legitimate for someone not to like it and quite wrong for you to think that they should. Even though I enjoy it I'd be the first to admit that some of the skills and decision making shown over the first two rounds has been terrible and I can see how that would turn some people off.

Not scared at all, just stating the facts :)

Adelaide are more passionate and turn up at the drop of a hat (Port Adelaide not so much :D).

Even so the under 10's use the ball a lot better than these "AFLW" players :p

There was improvement from week 1 to week 2. I think as you said the decision making leaves a lot to be desired. It's going to be a different game requiring different tactics of course. Hopefully the W sorts out what kind of league it wants to be before people lose interest.
ok, signed up in past, years ago, felt compelled to go again.

My 14 year old son plays footy. Is 6 foot tall and would be the best footballer out there. (in the girls comp)

My 12 year old girl also plays in an under 15 comp and in 1 year is her favourite sport.
To say they don't go in as hard is false. Currently they don't have the skills to clear the ball so they play a more congested game. The nature of their game means they go in harder.
Skills are not there yet, but they will improve with time.
I'm a bit on the fence with how the league has gone with the comp. Early days very positive.

The girls love it.. I love footy..therefore I love girls footy..

Just don't want the SJW to hijack it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I like the women's football, as do all of my family. It's enjoyable to watch and the girls' obvious joy and enthusiasm in playing it is infectious. However, it is entirely legitimate for someone not to like it and quite wrong for you to think that they should. Even though I enjoy it I'd be the first to admit that some of the skills and decision making shown over the first two rounds has been terrible and I can see how that would turn some people off.
I don't think people are required to like it. I think it's tired that the same people complain about it in every single thread.

Xtreme is threadbanned guys. Stop responding to him.

Is Xtreme 'thread-banned' because he has a different opinion to everyone else ??

Seems a little unfair if that is the case.

I'll be upfront here, I'm not a fan of this women's league either but how dare I go against the rest of the populous.

It appears that you either support the concept and post positive comments or you get told not to post and when you do, you get turned on by the vast majority, nastily sworn at, abused or thread-banned.

Maybe they should call it the "L. Ron Hubbard League" !!

Last edited:
Is that poster 'thread-banned' because he has a different opinion to everyone else ??

he doesnt have a different opinion to "everybody else". Its the constant repetitiveness of said opinion. And then spamming it in every other thread.

Seems a little unfair if that is the case.

Its not the case.

I'll be upfront here, I'm not a fan of this women's league either but how dare I go against the rest of the populous.

It appears that you either support the concept and post positive comments or you get told not to post and when you do, you get turned on by the vast majority, nastily sworn at, abused or thread-banned.

Ill be up front here. You arent alone in your disapproval, but how you express that disapproval and how often you choose to express it can affect whether it remains visible on these boards. We gave plenty of warnings that the constant negativity and no skills trolling that we allowed last weekend wasnt going to be allowed in this weekends gameday and autopsy threads.

Maybe they should call it the "L. Ron Hubbard League" !!

Maybe you should go check out the conspiracy board.

Ill be up front here. You arent alone in your disapproval, but how you express that disapproval and how often you choose to express it can affect whether it remains visible on these boards. We gave plenty of warnings that the constant negativity and no skills trolling that we allowed last weekend wasnt going to be allowed in this weekends gameday and autopsy threads.

I fully get that it's "not what you say but how you say it" that is of paramount importance but shouldn't that go both ways Wook ??

Surely when reviewing this new venture the skill level has to come under scrutiny, it is no different to many of the discussions regarding the regular AFL games and "XXX cannot kick on his left or fumbles under pressure" etc.

Last edited:
Maybe the Lions squad was underestimated? Not a hell of a lot is known about the team from what I can gather.
Not so much Brisbane under-rated. I was told that Fremantle had a very strong squad and were one of the favourites heading in.

The Fremantle Dockers might finally add some silverware to their empty trophy cabinet with the women's AFL team named favourites to win the league's inaugural season.

Sportsbet.com.au has listed the Fremantle Dockets at $4.25 odds to take out the competition ahead of the Western Bulldogs ($4.50) and Carlton ($5).

Not so much Brisbane under-rated. I was told that Fremantle had a very strong squad and were one of the favourites heading in.

The Fremantle Dockers might finally add some silverware to their empty trophy cabinet with the women's AFL team named favourites to win the league's inaugural season.

Sportsbet.com.au has listed the Fremantle Dockets at $4.25 odds to take out the competition ahead of the Western Bulldogs ($4.50) and Carlton ($5).
Yeah I get that, but what I'm saying is that maybe Freo and Brisbane were erroneously rated high and low, respectively. Seems unfair to imply that Freo lost it when Brisbane also won it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back