Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

You would think they would want to support women's footy in Qld and NSW, but the system of non compensation has allowed clubs to strip Brisbane and GWS of their non local players.

At the same time Freo and Adelaide are able to enjoy unfettered access to the very strong WA and SA leagues and lure players back home.

It's a recipe for the Crows and Freo to dominate for a long time.

They really should have used a salary cap to try and even the competition, but they have absolutely stuffed it. Look forward to a very uneven comp this year.
Freo can lose up to 8 to West Coast. Adam Selwood in the West today said they intend to get the full 8. They are also chasing Chelsea Randall hard.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Freo can lose up to 8 to West Coast. Adam Selwood in the West today said they intend to get the full 8. They are also chasing Chelsea Randall hard.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Even so they have all of WA to recruit from. Plus they can lure girls like Frederick-Traub back. We have an increasing number of teams to fight with to get from TAC and Victoria. Freo have massive depth.

Even so they have all of WA to recruit from. Plus they can lure girls like Frederick-Traub back. We have an increasing number of teams to fight with to get from TAC and Victoria. Freo have massive depth.
Frederick-Traub is going to Vic, Randall is most likely to stay in SA. Freo dont have massive depth, they would have, if all the players had stayed in WA, thats the problem. A good portion of the better players in the WAWFL are players Freo has already delisted previously.

There are some good 18 year olds coming through, but you cannot build a team around a handful of decent kids. Could not name one player playing in WA with experience who stands out as someone who would be a dominant player at AFLW level. There are a good number of bottom 6 types to pad out a list with, but cornerstone players, a spine, a ball winning midfield, nada.

Brennan amoung two Dog departures

WESTERN Bulldogs co-captain Katie Brennan is all but confirmed to be joining new AFLW team Richmond in 2020.

Brennan's likely exit was compounded by teammate and premiership defender Libby Birch requesting a trade to Melbourne.

Another article mentioned hannah scott going to Saints.

Here we go again.....

Brennan going I can handle, I'm surprised and disappointed about Birch but at least we'd get something back from the Demons. If Hannah Scott goes that's a real kick in the guts. Other than Blackburn, Lamb, Huntington, maybe Lochland, there's no player I want to keep more.

There aren't any "career" moves within AFLW, surely it must come down to money & cashing in whilst they can. Thought Brennan would have been as loyal as they come, seems not.

Dogs have stood by her through her injuries and she jumps ship as quickly as she can. Nice one, Katie.

She’s clearly got talent but you’d have to say she’s largely failed to deliver in her time at the Dogs.

I don’t think I’ll be taking much interest in AFLW next season. What’s the point if any progress we make is just stripped away at the end of each year? We might as well just bow out for a few years, then reform in 2023 and pilfer everyone else’s players.

With Hope delisted by NM, I think we should sign her up ASAP, we desperately need finishers in front of goal and she is a very good set shot.

Latest on player movements...

Gone
Brennan - Richmond (Nothing in return)
Birch - Melbourne (likely draft picks or players)

Linked
Scott - St. Kilda

Dogs have stood by her through her injuries and she jumps ship as quickly as she can. Nice one, Katie.

She’s clearly got talent but you’d have to say she’s largely failed to deliver in her time at the Dogs.

I don’t think I’ll be taking much interest in AFLW next season. What’s the point if any progress we make is just stripped away at the end of each year? We might as well just bow out for a few years, then reform in 2023 and pilfer everyone else’s players.

Your not alone, hard to keep watching this mishandled league. No garentee that the fixturing and conferences will get any better either.

Your not alone, hard to keep watching this mishandled league. No garentee that the fixturing and conferences will get any better either.
Yep will be hard to get enthused by next season

Such a shame, I do enjoy the AFLW, and I’m far from being a hipster, lefties, feminist loving type. I sat near Aisling Utri yesterday in level 3, recognised her and congratulated her on last years flag. She was supporting the boys as a loyal clubperson. I just love footy, old school values like loyalty are very important, the fabric of footy clubs. I had tears in my eyes watching Picko driven around yesterday. If Katie is leaving, like Dahlhaus and Higgins etc I lose a heap of respect for them.

Your not alone, hard to keep watching this mishandled league. No guarantee that the fixturing and conferences will get any better either.

I can handle the player movements, as this will only be a problem for the initial 5 or so years and then it will settle. We all knew this going in, and it shouldn't be a surprise. Yes, it's extremely frustrating but it's only going to be for a short term. We aren't going to lose our entire list and it's not the end of the world.

The fixturing and conferences however should never have been a problem and the way it was handled for the 2019 season was totally unacceptable. No one wanted it, the players, clubs, media, supporters and yet the AFL did not listen. This is where frustration should be focussed.

Don't take it out on players moving around in the initial five year years of the competition, take it out on the AFL for not supporting a full H&A competition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Overrated. Played one good game in three years

Also gotta laugh at Brennan. Every social media post she talks about how much she loves the club, and all the girls.

And she needs a change.

Get Izzy Huntington right, no great loss.

Hannah Scott is a worry.

Overrated. Played one good game in three years

Also gotta laugh at Brennan. Every social media post she talks about how much she loves the club, and all the girls.

And she needs a change.

Get Izzy Huntington right, no great loss.

Hannah Scott is a worry.

I tend to agree Brennan really hasn't lived up to her potential, yes injuries were a factor but I would much rather keep Blackburn, Conti, Huntington, Lamb, Utri who have been consistently elite when playing.

If Huntington can get a full pre-season with no injuries she is going to be one of the best in the league.

Scott and Birch are a worry but it's not like we'll get nothing in return or can't cover them in the trade/draft.

Such a shame, I do enjoy the AFLW, and I’m far from being a hipster, lefties, feminist loving type. I sat near Aisling Utri yesterday in level 3, recognised her and congratulated her on last years flag. She was supporting the boys as a loyal clubperson. I just love footy, old school values like loyalty are very important, the fabric of footy clubs. I had tears in my eyes watching Picko driven around yesterday. If Katie is leaving, like Dahlhaus and Higgins etc I lose a heap of respect for them.

Really like Utri seems like a really nice person and took her game to Elite this year, also loves the club from what I hear.

Do you think that Brennan's departure to Richmond has something to do with sponsorship arrangements with Puma?
Every day on my way to work I walk past the Puma store and I see pictures of Katie Brennan on their LCD TVs. I also see on her twitter that she lists Puma as one of her sponsors.

As a Richmond player it would be a good chance for her to milk more Puma sponsorship coverage because Puma are the official supplier of the club.

I can handle the player movements, as this will only be a problem for the initial 5 or so years and then it will settle. We all knew this going in, and it shouldn't be a surprise. Yes, it's extremely frustrating but it's only going to be for a short term. We aren't going to lose our entire list and it's not the end of the world.

The fixturing and conferences however should never have been a problem and the way it was handled for the 2019 season was totally unacceptable. No one wanted it, the players, clubs, media, supporters and yet the AFL did not listen. This is where frustration should be focussed.

Don't take it out on players moving around in the initial five year years of the competition, take it out on the AFL for not supporting a full H&A competition.
I think this is right. In about 5 years it will all settle down.

However if the responses in this thread are any guide a lot of people are going to be disenchanted and jump off for a few years. This will act as a drag on the growth of AFLW. I know they are trying to fast-track it, but in doing so it seems like two steps forward, one step back.

AFL must never forget that what drives the whole footy mega-business is fan engagement and loyalty. It brings people in at the gates, it gains radio and TV ratings, it sells merchandise and it gets mega-clicks on the web. Undermine and destabilise that loyalty and you jeopardise the whole operation and the business model you are doing your projections on.

I think this is right. In about 5 years it will all settle down.

However if the responses in this thread are any guide a lot of people are going to be disenchanted and jump off for a few years. This will act as a drag on the growth of AFLW. I know they are trying to fast-track it, but in doing so it seems like two steps forward, one step back.

AFL must never forget that what drives the whole footy mega-business is fan engagement and loyalty. It brings people in at the gates, it gains radio and TV ratings, it sells merchandise and it gets mega-clicks on the web. Undermine and destabilise that loyalty and you jeopardise the whole operation and the business model you are doing your projections on.

What you said.... perfect! Unfortunately the AFL forgets and ignores its roots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yep. Not smart of the AFLW to try and be soulless like the AFL. It’s what it had working for it. I’ve got no interest next year after absolutely loving it in previous years because this is not how you build a business with principles. The AFL is being a pack of dickheads grabbing at cash and it’s not for the good of the continued growth of the league.

The AFLW is trying to grow from underneath with the injection of young players while spreading the more
seasoned ladies around the competition. A lot of the young girls were impressive with their skills this
year when they were not doing ACL's . We did not like losing players to the expansion clubs in the mens
competition, I get that. Women's footy is flying and they are dominating Special K adds on my TV, the
AFL will be praying that the new blood takes over and drives the game forward even if it is a bit swings
and roundabouts at the moment.

Spent all year trying to get my 5 year old niece into it. Her old man is Essendon but now wants to go for the Bulldogs because she loved Katie. Took her to two games and she spent them both with her eyes just fixed on Katie to see what she was doing.

God knows how I’m going to break this news to her!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back