Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Spent all year trying to get my 5 year old niece into it. Her old man is Essendon but now wants to go for the Bulldogs because she loved Katie. Took her to two games and she spent them both with her eyes just fixed on Katie to see what she was doing.

God knows how I’m going to break this news to her!
The statement from the club regarding Brennan is pretty terse, pointing out how the club stood by her during the hard times. It has only a passing statement of appreciation "for her contribution to the club" - not a very effusive one considering she was our marquee player. They're clearly very disappointed in her.

Perhaps the AFL is less concerned about rusted-on supporters like us and keener on getting a whole new generation of girls involved. They'll take up playing the game and will follow their stars even if it means switching allegiances from time to time. I still think it's two steps forward and one step back but I imagine the executive bonuses are paid for growth in revenues, not for protecting traditional footy values.

Up yours, AFL.

I'd say I have to be one of the bigger followers of AFLW, having watched the majority of games in 2017 and really getting to know a good amount about even the opposition teams. When we lost our first lot of players, this really put me off and I reduced how closely I followed to watching maybe a handful of games this season (only Bulldogs this time) but still keeping up. With Brennan leaving now, I'm done with it. Clearly whoever is running AFLW has not even the slightest clue about how to run an equal competition. Why should I loyally follow the sport when I know there is little fairness. Our club did so much for women's footy for so many years, yet we're the ones that get ****ed the hardest by expansion. I wouldn't be surprised if we get the wooden spoon next year, after two consecutive years of robbing us of talent following the premiership. I might give it another go in a few years' time, but I really see no point at the rate they're going with this sham of a competition.

Also, get ****ed Katie, I really need to say that. Accepts the biggest contract at the club, barely plays a game, rakes in sponsorship money with the club having her as the face of the women's team, goes up on stage for her own pathetic imitation of Bob Murphy's grand final moment, then just *s off. That money and attention could have been paid to someone far more deserving like Blackburn. I can understand Birch, Scott, Kearney, Bruton, etc. that's fine, I get it. But Katie just takes so much from the club then just *s off. Absolutely zero respect for her

I'd say I have to be one of the bigger followers of AFLW, having watched the majority of games in 2017 and really getting to know a good amount about even the opposition teams. When we lost our first lot of players, this really put me off and I reduced how closely I followed to watching maybe a handful of games this season (only Bulldogs this time) but still keeping up. With Brennan leaving now, I'm done with it. Clearly whoever is running AFLW has not even the slightest clue about how to run an equal competition. Why should I loyally follow the sport when I know there is little fairness. Our club did so much for women's footy for so many years, yet we're the ones that get ****** the hardest by expansion. I wouldn't be surprised if we get the wooden spoon next year, after two consecutive years of robbing us of talent following the premiership. I might give it another go in a few years' time, but I really see no point at the rate they're going with this sham of a competition.

Also, get ****** Katie, I really need to say that. Accepts the biggest contract at the club, barely plays a game, rakes in sponsorship money with the club having her as the face of the women's team, goes up on stage for her own pathetic imitation of Bob Murphy's grand final moment, then just ****s off. That money and attention could have been paid to someone far more deserving like Blackburn. I can understand Birch, Scott, Kearney, Bruton, etc. that's fine, I get it. But Katie just takes so much from the club then just ****s off. Absolutely zero respect for her
Couldn't have said it better myself

While I’m sad to hear that Katie is leaving, I’m not going to blame her for the decision. She is a professional footballer, and needs to make the best decision for her career. The girls don’t get paid that well and although their season only goes for a short period of time, I’m sure the preparation to play is just as great so the relatively small amount they earn is chicken feed really. So if she thinks her career and her family are best served by her moving to Richmond, fair enough. Remember AFL is a business and a job for those who are in it, it’s only a love and a passion for the fans.

If she thinks she is better off at Richmond then I would just say goodbye, thanks for what you gave us in terms of marketing and publicity and putting your body on the line for the club (multiple injuries didn’t just happen for no reason, she was representing the Bulldogs when she got hurt), and then move on. Her leaving opens up a spot for a new marquee women’s player so the club should now focus its attention on working out who that is and going after them.

Katie played some good games and always looked great but there were better players on the team the last few years, some of whom were paid less so let’s just find another good player to take her place.

Thanks Katie for what you gave the Bulldogs, I think you definitely did inspire a lot of young girls to give AFL a go.

I won’t wish you good luck at Richmond though as I hope they fail miserably, as any good Bulldog would hope.

Richmond? Richmond?

v6pz4i.jpg

AFLW is a complete farce. My daughter has slowly built her enthusiasm for AFLW. First full season we attended one game, last season several home games and stood in the rain waiting to get into the GF, and waited around afterwards for the players to do their lap of honour, and see them up close when they finished at the player's race with the cup. This season, we went to more games, even knowing we were likely to lose. We have both been paid AFLW members for 2 seasons now.
Unfortunately, like others, I will walk away, taking my daughter with me. If she wants to follow it herself when she is older, that's up to her. I have attended my last AFLW game. I don't care how well the standard improves, or how much success the female Bulldogs will have in future, I won't contribute another red cent to AFLW.
The Ballarat area has a thriving female comp - I'll be directing my daughter, and our support, to those teams.

Lot of hissy fits I see.

People shouldn't be viewing the first 5 or so years as 'the AFLW league'.

2017 - 2022, at least, is the process of creating the league.

It was always going to be messy and dynamic.

People getting upset at this are people that never really understood what was happening in the first place.

My club gets a team for the first time next year, which will be good.

Realistically, we are going to get smashed, which is not. I don't blame the AFL for this, it is what it is.

The Eagles will not be able to prise enough top talent out of other teams to be competitive imop. They may prise enough out of Freo to make Freo uncompetitive however, therefore I see lots of bitching by both sets of supporters next year.

Me, I am going to understand that the Eagles are likely to be a few experienced players trying to carry the whole team, a bunch of WAWFL players, some of whom will be clearly out of their depth, and a bunch of mostly overawed kids.

I will watch to see how they cope, what diamonds are uncovered, how the club supports and developes them.

It's all like a dramatic reality tv show, full of machinations, drama and uncertainty.

I find it fascinating and enthralling.

For those complaining about the AFL stuffing things up. While I disagree with some of the more minor decisions, length of game, 16 a side etc. Not only has every major call been right, it's been inevitable. Every alternative plan I have seen has been significantly worse. That there are lots of problems doesn't make the AFLs strategy wrong, it just means there was no neat, everybody stays happy, way to do it.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Lot of hissy fits I see.

People getting upset at this are people that never really understood what was happening in the first place.

Realistically, we are going to get smashed, which is not. I don't blame the AFL for this, it is what it is.

The Eagles will not be able to prise enough top talent out of other teams to be competitive imop. They may prise enough out of Freo to make Freo uncompetitive however, therefore I see lots of bitching by both sets of supporters next year.

Me, I am going to understand that the Eagles are likely to be a few experienced players trying to carry the whole team, a bunch of WAWFL players, some of whom will be clearly out of their depth, and a bunch of mostly overawed kids.

I will watch to see how they cope, what diamonds are uncovered, how the club supports and developes them.

It's all like a dramatic reality tv show, full of machinations, drama and uncertainty.

For those complaining about the AFL stuffing things up. While I disagree with some of the more minor decisions, length of game, 16 a side etc. Not only has every major call been right, it's been inevitable. Every alternative plan I have seen has been significantly worse. That there are lots of problems doesn't make the AFLs strategy wrong, it just means there was no neat, everybody stays happy, way to do it.

Cool story bro. Who cares

Lot of hissy fits I see.

Hissy fits?! Really? Why shouldn't the first 5 years be the 'AFLW league'? That's exactly what it is. The AFL (and AFLW) management have completely ****ed the introduction of new teams. Why should the new teams be competitive at the expense of existing teams? Bulldogs have now lost significant players both seasons, and the 2020 moves are only just starting. What other club has lost the league b&f, the marquee/captain, their first ruck, two other starting 16 onballers, and likely a premiership defender? And despite your previous delusional post about why compensation wasn't offered, we lost the best player in the competition last year.

To use your terminology, 'I find it fascinating and enthralling' that you post sh1t on here that only serves to piss people off, so I'll be polite and use asterisks - **** OFF TO YOUR OWN BOARD. Oh, and have a nice day...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I’m sad to hear that Katie is leaving, I’m not going to blame her for the decision. She is a professional footballer, and needs to make the best decision for her career. The girls don’t get paid that well and although their season only goes for a short period of time, I’m sure the preparation to play is just as great so the relatively small amount they earn is chicken feed really. So if she thinks her career and her family are best served by her moving to Richmond, fair enough. Remember AFL is a business and a job for those who are in it, it’s only a love and a passion for the fans.

If she thinks she is better off at Richmond then I would just say goodbye, thanks for what you gave us in terms of marketing and publicity and putting your body on the line for the club (multiple injuries didn’t just happen for no reason, she was representing the Bulldogs when she got hurt), and then move on. Her leaving opens up a spot for a new marquee women’s player so the club should now focus its attention on working out who that is and going after them.

Katie played some good games and always looked great but there were better players on the team the last few years, some of whom were paid less so let’s just find another good player to take her place.

Thanks Katie for what you gave the Bulldogs, I think you definitely did inspire a lot of young girls to give AFL a go.

I won’t wish you good luck at Richmond though as I hope they fail miserably, as any good Bulldog would hope.

Best post on here so far.

The reality is whilst the AFL will lose supporters from clubs like ours they will pick up supporters from the new teams so the overall support will likely be bigger.

The first 2 years I attended all home games and watched all others on TV.

Keep in mind we finished second last in year 1. This year the conference system dropped my interest in the comp alot as the best teams were not going to make the finals.

By trying to cram the season into such a small window there is no system that will allow a vibrant competition. This will actually be a bigger challenge that the amount of players a team like ours loses.

The biggest mistake they will likely make is running the season parallel to the AFL season. It will never prosper.

Start 2 weeks after the Grand Final with the AFLW Grand Final in the bye week before the AFL season starts and you have a point of difference. Play predominantly if not entirely night games for heat purposes. At least if we had say 8 WO games there could be some momentum built. Do what they did this season and womens football could become merely a state league type game

She was very strange on the radio this arvo. Said it was very hard to leave but didn’t really say why she left. If it’s money and career outside of football prospects, just say so. If we were so loved and pioneers of AFLW why. She could have been a club legend eventually. Instead she’ll end up like so many footballers that play at multiple clubs and be only partly remembered.
Nathan Brown or Scott West? Shaun Higgins or Brad Johnson? Tony Liberatore or Tony McGuinness? Who do we admire?

To use your terminology, 'I find it fascinating and enthralling' that you post sh1t on here that only serves to piss people off, so I'll be polite and use asterisks - **** OFF TO YOUR OWN BOARD. Oh, and have a nice day...

Who the hell has time to read other team's boards in the middle of the week?

1554790565211.png
1554790622485.png

Man has this league been so poorly mishandled. With the number of teams in particular, they should've either had 18 teams to begin with or have a set amount of teams for at least the first 5-6 years (with no expansion clubs being able to join until after that time period).

As for Katie, no big loss. For a marquee player, she has grossly under-delivered. I personally don't think they would've won the premiership last year had she played. If she wants to leave, so be it. I just hope for her sake Richmond are loyal enough to keep her if she underperforms/gets injured.

Last edited:
Lot of hissy fits I see.

So west coast will be the same as all the foundation clubs. A few talented players carrying the rest. There just isn't enough good female footballers to make the comp improve at the stage with this rate of expansion.
I see as I wrote this that WC is going to take the entire 8 players from freo that expansion clubs are allowed to take. That is just ****ed
I won't be watching or encouraging my daughters to follow it anymore. It's a joke

Man has this league been so poorly mishandled. With the number of teams in particular, they should've either had 18 teams to begin with or have a set amount of teams for at least the first 5-6 years (with no expansion clubs being able to join until after that time period).

As for Katie, no big loss. For a marquee player, she has grossly under-delivered. I personally don't think they would've won the premiership last year had she played. If she wants to leave, so be it. I just hope for her sake Richmond are loyal enough to keep her if she underperforms/gets injured.

Could end up on the Mo Hope path.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back