Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

The number for girls is around 330, 000. Boys is about 1.2 million. This for any level right up to under 18's.

So that's about 21,500 girls per AFLW club, and 66,600 boys per AFL club. No doubt the women's game will continue to grow, as will participation. But there is already a greater pathway to the professional level for girls by far, than there is for boys, so I don't get the calls to have one AFLW team per AFL club. The talent pool is also way thinner, with 45,000 less youngsters to mine talent from for women's teams than men's. That was my only concern with this rapid expansion, will the talent levels catch up fast enough or take a fair few years? I'm all for the women's game, but think it is being poorly run. Conferences purely just to be "different to the mens league", still sticking by it despite the messed up finals system which saw better teams miss out, and teams with a lesser record hosting finals, the season being laughably to short and trying to expand and grow it too fast. Let the youth participation and talent levels catch up first.

the biggest impediment i can see for the growth of female footy is simply finding somewhere (and when) for the teams to play. many local clubs are already at breaking point for ground usage.
Quite often too, the girls are playing on grounds where there no changerooms for them. My niece plays and her team had to get changed in a public toilet near the oval. Some clubs are even bringing in portables to cater for the girls, but as you say, clubs are finding it increasingly difficult to cater for the huge numbers coming into the game.

Quite often too, the girls are playing on grounds where there no changerooms for them. My niece plays and her team had to get changed in a public toilet near the oval. Some clubs are even bringing in portables to cater for the girls, but as you say, clubs are finding it increasingly difficult to cater for the huge numbers coming into the game.
which i think the vic gov is offering grants for change room upgrades as part of their sports plan
i could be wrong but remember seeing that a while back

Great news! Good to see both my mates (as well as others) re-signed quickly. Hopefully a few more in Conti and Lochland are signed soon too.

Lochland has signed... don't know about Conti

Lochland has signed... don't know about Conti
We've renewed our talisman, Bonti
So now we're all focussed on Conti
It weighs on our mind -
Why hasn't she signed?
Don't worry folks, Conti's a Mon-ty!

which i think the vic gov is offering grants for change room upgrades as part of their sports plan
i could be wrong but remember seeing that a while back
Just curious what is wrong with the existing changerooms that make them unusable for the girls? Thinking back to my juniors days, the majority of the clubrooms we ever used would have been perfectly fine for girls to use so I'm not really familiar with what would be considered inappropriate here

Just curious what is wrong with the existing changerooms that make them unusable for the girls? Thinking back to my juniors days, the majority of the clubrooms we ever used would have been perfectly fine for girls to use so I'm not really familiar with what would be considered inappropriate here
Hollywood style lighted mirrors? Certain type bins? ☻

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Just curious what is wrong with the existing change rooms that make them unusable for the girls? Thinking back to my juniors days, the majority of the clubrooms we ever used would have been perfectly fine for girls to use so I'm not really familiar with what would be considered inappropriate here

It's not just upgrades, it's building new change rooms at more grounds. A lot of women's games get played on the parks second or third oval which don't have an easily accessible change room such as the parks main oval.

As for the upgrades themselves it's not just separate bathrooms/showers for men and women it's also to accommodate the increased number of players.

Many ovals now have non stop footy from 8am-6pm ranging from both men and women and with the tight changes from the end of one game to the start of another it's conceivable that the rooms need to handle for individual teams.

Last edited:
There are a number of issues. Firstly, some older smaller changerooms have a urinal and 1 or 2 cubicles, which may not cut it. Second, my old club had overlap between mens games. Second team playing would be in the changeroom while the first game is on. You would often see periods with guys from both teams in the changeroom at once. If your scheduling womens teams in amongst mens teams, it becomes tricky. Thirdly, especially from what i have seen in the country, you have makeshift rooms that may open onto common use backrooms and common use toilets. Given it was always guys wondering around all the backrooms under the stand, privacy was never an issue. Now women are in the changerooms, it can make access to some of the clubs spaces difficult.
Showers is another issue, most changerooms have 1 set. So if there is a mens game straight after the womens, when do the women shower?

I came across this issue in veterans. We shared a training day with the womens team. The space they used, which was the main changeroom space could only be accessed by going through the space we were in. A few older guys accidentally mooned some young women (fortunately it was an enviroment were everyone was understanding). We were lucky, and had an alternative room to relocate to, which we did. Its disconcerting having to do a quick perimeter check for stray 16 year old girls before stripping for a shower. There are some potentially very nasty consequences in that scenario for both parties.

There are a number of issues. Firstly, some older smaller changerooms have a urinal and 1 or 2 cubicles, which may not cut it. Second, my old club had overlap between mens games. Second team playing would be in the changeroom while the first game is on. You would often see periods with guys from both teams in the changeroom at once. If your scheduling womens teams in amongst mens teams, it becomes tricky. Thirdly, especially from what i have seen in the country, you have makeshift rooms that may open onto common use backrooms and common use toilets. Given it was always guys wondering around all the backrooms under the stand, privacy was never an issue. Now women are in the changerooms, it can make access to some of the clubs spaces difficult.
Showers is another issue, most changerooms have 1 set. So if there is a mens game straight after the womens, when do the women shower?

I came across this issue in veterans. We shared a training day with the womens team. The space they used, which was the main changeroom space could only be accessed by going through the space we were in. A few older guys accidentally mooned some young women (fortunately it was an enviroment were everyone was understanding). We were lucky, and had an alternative room to relocate to, which we did. Its disconcerting having to do a quick perimeter check for stray 16 year old girls before stripping for a shower. There are some potentially very nasty consequences in that scenario for both parties.
PLus most guys are lazy af when it comes to cleaning bathrooms on game day

Richmond are after Conti...

AFLW expansion clubs are continuing to raid established teams with All-Australian duo Monique Conti and Gabriella Pound the latest stars being targeted.
Fox Footy understands Richmond is attempting to lure Conti from the Western Bulldogs to play alongside big-name signing Katie Brennan, while Gold Coast has its eye on Carlton’s All-Australian defender Gabriella Pound.

Both players are weighing up their options and their current clubs are hopeful rather than expectant they will stay.

While there is a rigid salary cap in the AFLW, tier one players have their Additional Services Agreement (ASAs) listed outside the salary cap.

This allows wealthy clubs like the Tigers to effectively to pay their two allotted marquee stars a huge price to lure them to Punt Road.

Losing the 19-year-old — who was best on ground in the grand final when the Dogs won the 2018 premiership — would be a huge blow to coach Paul Groves, who was frustrated to lose Brennan and can ill-afford to let go of their recently-crowned best and fairest winner.

On Thursday, the Bulldogs were bolstered by the re-signing of forwards Brooke Lochland and Deanna Berry on one-year deals.

Captain Ellie Blackburn and fellow key players Hannah Scott, Lauren Spark and Kirsty Lamb have all signed two-year deals — the maximum contract length — as have talented youngsters Isabel Huntington and Naomi Ferres.

Despite these recommitments, the absence of Brennan — and potentially Conti — among that list of names places the Dogs in a precarious position.

With seven days remaining in the sign and trade period, some clubs have already expressed their disappointment in the structure of the player movement window, albeit privately.

One club official told foxfooty.com.au the trade period should lead into a signing window, rather than signings and trades being lumped into one block.

In the AFL, the trade period starts and finishes long before the final list lodgement dates, which allows clubs to make decisions on players after the trade period. This mechanism has not been afforded in women’s football, where the sign and trade window is all in the one hit.

Not only are the 10 established AFLW clubs in danger of being raided, but they cannot trade players who they have just signed. And since the signing period only opened on Monday, clubs have found it increasingly difficult to orchestrate trades.

Added to this is the fact clubs are unsure what compensation and therefore draft picks they will be handed.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/wo...d/news-story/36bdfaf5a3e66c5477877bee13c80718

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can't afford to lose Conti :( Along with Blackburn she is our best player, as well as being super young. Do we move her into the pay bracket Brennan was on?

She is our best player so surely we've offered here a Tier 1 contract. If Richmond also offered a Tier 1 contract, they can pay here an ASA...

While there is a rigid salary cap in the AFLW, tier one players have their Additional Services Agreement (ASAs) listed outside the salary cap.

This allows wealthy clubs like the Tigers to effectively to pay their two allotted marquee stars a huge price to lure them to Punt Road.

I really think we need to offer here nice ASA as well, she could easily be the best player in the competition in the next year or two.

Hopefully, she stays, if not and she does go to the Tigers we need to go after Frederick-Traub as Richmond won't be able to sign her as a Tier 1.

You really do need to question the framework when a club can lose the competition b&f one year, then lose the club captain and (potentially) the reigning b&f the next. Oh and potentially lose a good player in Birch.

The framework of the competition, not the club. Don't forget both Collingwood and Fremantle have also lost B&F, while Carlton has lost a captain.

You really do need to question the framework when a club can lose the competition b&f one year, then lose the club captain and (potentially) the reigning b&f the next. Oh and potentially lose a good player in Birch.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Probably what supporters of the Gold Coast mens team have been saying for the past few years.

Might be a bad sign, Conti has changed her Instagram profile from "Western Bulldogs #8" to "AFLW Athlete"

Take it with a grain of salt, but not a good sign i'd say.

Screen Shot 2019-04-14 at 5.14.31 pm.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back