Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFLW draftee hub now has some short video footage of 9 of the girls (McKenzie, Moloney, Fitzgerald, Bannan & Eddey from VIC) - hopefully more will go up today.
https://womens.afl/about/draft/prospects

Fitzgerald looks like just what we need in the midfield. I feel like Smith at 2 and Fitzgerald at 11(6) would make us so much more competitive next season.

That was pretty much my thoughts as well.

I was surprised the Dogs picked Newton last year though so will be watching with interest to see how this year plays out.
I think character was a big factor in us picking Newton. Reading the player profiles of this years draftees so many of those Nothern Knights girls speak glowingly about what a role model she is.

I think based on body type she was always going to develop a little slower than girls like McEvoy and Patrikios and she probably wasn't physically ready to be thrown into the coalface as often as she was last season. I'm hoping that a couple of the girls we pick up this year can help take some of that burden away from Gabby and she can become a more damaging forward player.

Who did you think we'd pick?

I thought McEvoy and Patrikios would have been 1 and 2. I wasn’t surprised Newton was picked ahead of Patrikios as much as I was McEvoy.

I wasn’t so intending to sound critical of Newton as a pick it was more that I was indicating that I think the AFLW draft is a lot more difficult to pick, in part due to the lack of phantom drafts and power rankings relative to the AFL equi

I think character was a big factor in us picking Newton. Reading the player profiles of this years draftees so many of those Nothern Knights girls speak glowingly about what a role model she is.

I think based on body type she was always going to develop a little slower than girls like McEvoy and Patrikios and she probably wasn't physically ready to be thrown into the coalface as often as she was last season. I'm hoping that a couple of the girls we pick up this year can help take some of that burden away from Gabby and she can become a more damaging forward player.

After Newton was picked last I did another look at her stats and scouting reports and read the bulldogs rationale for the pick.

I think she did really well in year 1 and expect her to develop quickly into the grader the dogs need. Her ability to hit the scoreboard will be important.

The AFLW draftee hub now has some short video footage of 9 of the girls (McKenzie, Moloney, Fitzgerald, Bannan & Eddey from VIC) - hopefully more will go up today.
https://womens.afl/about/draft/prospects

Fitzgerald looks like just what we need in the midfield. I feel like Smith at 2 and Fitzgerald at 11(6) would make us so much more competitive next season.

The Dogs will have lots of great options at Pick 11 so it will be interesting to see who they do select.

I thought McEvoy and Patrikios would have been 1 and 2. I wasn’t surprised Newton was picked ahead of Patrikios as much as I was McEvoy.

I wasn’t so intending to sound critical of Newton as a pick it was more that I was indicating that I think the AFLW draft is a lot more difficult to pick, in part due to the lack of phantom drafts and power rankings relative to the AFL
Yeah there is a disappointing lack of coverage of the womens draft - you would have no idea that it is tomorrow.
Meanwhile we're getting to the point where the mens draft gets year round coverage.

If you keep track of the junior comp, could you be tempted to throw together a rough first round prediction? It would be much appreciated.
Or is it just too hard with the lack of football this year?

Yeah there is a disappointing lack of coverage of the womens draft - you would have no idea that it is tomorrow.
Meanwhile we're getting to the point where the mens draft gets year round coverage.

If you keep track of the junior comp, could you be tempted to throw together a rough first round prediction? It would be much appreciated.
Or is it just too hard with the lack of football this year?

Way too hard this year with what looks like a fairly even group based on underage form and no 2020 national champs or VFLW exposure.

Unless someone has sources in the clubs it would only be a complete stab in the dark.

Way too hard this year with what looks like a fairly even group based on underage form and no 2020 national champs or VFLW exposure.

Unless someone has sources in the clubs it would only be a complete stab in the dark.
Yeah fair call.
Sarah Black has just put one out on the afl website - it seems to match what a bit of the group think was.
Who knows if it will be accurate. https://womens.afl/news/52583/

AFLW-7392-0920-AFLW-Draft-2020_Digital_Website_Pick_1.jpg

ELLIE McKENZIE

Pos
Midfielder
Ht 176cm, DOB 17/10/02
From Northern Knights/Vic Metro

McKenzie's outstanding 2019 season (All Australian at the NAB AFLW Under-18 Championships) put the building blocks in place to feature in discussions around the No.1 Victorian pick. A natural football, she has had the benefit of uninterrupted football since Auskick. McKenzie has an excellent all-round midfield game, is strong on both the inside and outside of packs and has elite kicking skills. Her height means she is more than handy inside 50, too.

If not her? It'll be a big shock if McKenzie's not at Punt Road for pre-season in November. Tyanna Smith – an excellent player in her own right – could be an outside option.

AFLW-7392-0920-AFLW-Draft-2020_Digital_Website_Pick_2.jpg

ALYSSA BANNAN

Pos
Key forward
Ht 178cm, DOB 13/4/02

Key forwards don't come around too often – particularly in the AFLW, where the current trend is for smaller forwards – and Bannan's mix of aerial prowess and balance at ground level puts her at the front of the pack. A steady and proven goalkicker, Bannan is strong on the lead and has a dominant presence inside 50. Bannan was one of just four bottom-age All Australian in last year's NAB AFLW Under-18 Championships.

If not her? Ellie McKenzie should be snapped up on the outside chance she's still available. Others who have been linked to the Dogs with pick No.2 are Tyanna Smith and Jess Fitzgerald.

AFLW-7392-0920-AFLW-Draft-2020_Digital_Website_Pick_3.jpg

BELLA LEWIS

Pos
Midfielder
Ht 162cm, DOB 16/11/02
From Claremont/WA

Lewis will almost certainly become the first AFLW player to have switched to footy from trampolining. Years of state-level gymnastics training have given Lewis a powerful burst pushing away from stoppages, despite being relatively small. Lewis has a great turn of speed, with agility also a strength. She missed WA's NAB AFLW All-Stars match with an ankle injury but looks on track for the start of official pre-season training in mid-November.

If not her? The other top WA prospects are the versatile Sarah Verrier (who has endured a tough run with injury this year, including a spider bite) and mid/forward Shanae Davison (see pick 14).

AFLW-7392-0920-AFLW-Draft-2020_Digital_Website_Pick_4.jpg

TEAH CHARLTON

Pos
Midfielder/forward
Ht 169, DOB 25/4/02
From South Adelaide/SA

Charlton has been having strong impacts on SANFLW games for two years now but is finally eligible for the draft. A powerfully built midfielder, the South Australian has a background in surf lifesaving. Charlton is a contested ball winner and a clean user of the footy by both hand and foot. Her ability to drive out of congestion and goal sense means she's deadly around forward stoppages.

If not her? This one appears to be a pretty clear-cut selection.

AFLW-7392-0920-AFLW-Draft-2020_Digital_Website_Pick_5.jpg

TYANNA SMITH

Pos
Midfielder/defender
Ht 167cm, DOB 29/10/02
From Dandenong Stingrays/Vic Country

Smith embodies the best of both worlds, a hard, contested player with elite disposal. Coming from a basketball background, the Stingray has a neat sidestep, with the agility, speed and vision to extract herself from stoppages. It makes sense the AFLW players she looks up to are Monique Conti and Chloe Molloy. An All Australian at last year's NAB AFLW Under-18 Championships.

If not her? There is a consensus among list managers that picks 2-4 in the Victorian pool are Bannan, Smith and Jess Fitzgerald, but a lot depends on who the Bulldogs select with pick No.2.

AFLW-7392-0920-AFLW-Draft-2020_Digital_Website_Pick_6.jpg

JESS FITZGERALD

Pos
Midfielder
Ht 163cm, DOB 8/3/02

Yet another graduate of the successful Northern Knights program, Fitzgerald was named best on in last year's NAB League Grand Final despite being a year off draft eligibility. Seven players from that game went on to be drafted, and it also featured McKenzie and Bannan. Fitzgerald can play both as an inside and outside midfielder and is a powerful runner with good endurance.

If not her? The Saints are likely to take the remaining player of the Bannan-Smith-Fitzgerald group.

AFLW-7392-0920-AFLW-Draft-2020_Digital_Website_Pick_7.jpg

ANNISE BRADFIELD

Pos
Midfielder/forward
Ht 172cm, DOB 2/12/02
From Bond University/Qld

Bradfield seems to play taller than her height of 172cm and is a clean user of the footy. She's capable of playing in the midfield or up forward and reads the play well. A true Gold Coast local, Bradfield has come through the junior ranks at Southport before graduating to Bond University's senior teams. She has been a member of the NAB AFLW Academy for two years.

If not her? The Suns are unlikely to look elsewhere for their first pick.

AFLW-7392-0920-AFLW-Draft-2020_Digital_Website_Pick_8.jpg

ZIMMORLEI FARQUHARSON

Pos
Forward
Ht 172cm, DOB 27/4/02
From Calamvale/Yeronga/Qld

Farquharson, who goes by "Zimmie", has speed to burn. Like Bradfield, she's been around the Queensland talent pathways for a while, having also been a two-year member of the NAB AFLW Academy. A dangerous forward, Farquharson has been bringing composure into her game and uses the footy well. She's agile, tackles well and while slightly built, has safe hands overhead.

If not her? In the past, the Lions have often opted for mature-age players with their first selection, so don't be surprised if they make a left-field pick.

AFLW-7392-0920-AFLW-Draft-2020_Digital_Website_Pick_9.jpg

TARNI EVANS

Pos
Winger
Ht 180cm, DOB 1/2/02
From Queanbeyan/NSW

There aren't many wingers running around the AFLW who stand at 180cm tall, but Evans is just that. She has elite endurance, nearly pipping Nina Morrison's 2km time trial record at the NAB AFLW Combine, and steady hands overhead. Originally from Tathra on the NSW south coast, Evans now lives with her older sister in Queanbeyan for football and school.

If not her? Once again, a fairly straightforward pick for GWS here, unlikely to look elsewhere.

AFLW-7392-0920-AFLW-Draft-2020_Digital_Website_Pick_10.jpg

DARCY MOLONEY

Pos
Midfielder
Ht 165cm, DOB 20/11/02
From Geelong Falcons/Vic Country

The Cats have made a habit of drafting local in the last few years, and it's worked a treat so far. Moloney knows how to find the footy and has become a strong linking player for the Falcons, either exiting or entering 50. From Colac, Moloney was captain of the Falcons this year in the aborted NAB League series. She makes good decisions with ball in hand and has the attributes to help find space.

If not her? Other names raised in connection with Geelong have been key forward Olivia Barber and Falcon Laura Gardiner.

AFLW-7392-0920-AFLW-Draft-2020_Digital_Website_Pick_11.jpg

ISABELLE PRITCHARD

Pos
Defender
Ht 178cm, DOB 8/3/02
From Western Jets/Vic Metro

A key defender with the capability to push higher up the ground, Pritchard isn't the most experienced player but has improved at a rapid rate. Pritchard is a strong mark overhead and relishes one-on-one contests. She's tough and tenacious and reads the ball well in the air. A member of the NAB AFLW Academy.

If not her? This is where things start to get tricky. The same names have been continually raised for picks 11-16, but no one is quite sure where things will land. Eliza McNamara or Isabella Eddey would be nice additions to the midfield.

AFLW-7392-0920-AFLW-Draft-2020_Digital_Website_Pick_12.jpg

ELIZA McNAMARA

Pos
Midfielder
Ht 166cm, DOB 19/4/02
From Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro

A tenacious inside midfielder, McNamara's attack on the footy and endurance are two of her biggest strengths. With the Victorian Combine effectively cancelled due to COVID-19 restrictions, McNamara ran a 6:59 2km time trial under her own steam, which if run under Combine conditions would have been a record. McNamara is fiercely competitive and is capable of playing in other positions on the ground.

If not her? Defender Sarah Hartwig is an option, as is Pritchard if still available.

AFLW-7392-0920-AFLW-Draft-2020_Digital_Website_Pick_13.jpg

SARAH HARTWIG

Pos
Defender
Ht 174cm, DOB 12/4/02

Hartwig is a clean defender who reads the play really well and is strong overhead. She's composed in high-pressure situations and makes good decisions when clearing the play. Hartwig is experienced, having played football from a young age, and has got the ability to push further up the ground if needed.

If not her? North Melbourne traditionally plays its cards very close to its chest, with this selection being tough to get a read on. Mimi Hill, Isabella Eddey and Eliza McNamara could all slot into this pick.

AFLW-7392-0920-AFLW-Draft-2020_Digital_Website_Pick_14.jpg

SHANAE DAVISON

Pos
Forward/midfielder
Ht 164cm, DOB 18/8/01
From Swan Districts/WA

Originally from Broome, Davison has burst onto the scene recently. The 19-year-old was playing local footy in 2018 before stepping straight into Swan Districts' WAFLW team last year. A versatile attacking player, she's surprisingly strong overhead for her height and reads the play well. Davison has a powerful jump and is a steady set shot.

If not her? Lewis (see pick three) is an option if available, while Sarah Verrier is also in calculations.

AFLW-7392-0920-AFLW-Draft-2020_Digital_Website_Pick_15.jpg

MIMI HILL

Pos
Midfielder
Ht 165cm, DOB 4/10/02
From Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro

A two-year skipper of Oakleigh, Hill was a member of the NAB AFLW Academy this year. She's strong in the contest and is a proven ball-winner. She's especially handy at setting up forward 50 entries with her sharp kicking. Hill reads the play well, anticipating where best to set herself to have an impact on the contest.

If not her? Pritchard, McNamara or Hartwig could easily slot in, as could Isabella Eddey or Amelia Velardo.

AFLW-7392-0920-AFLW-Draft-2020_Digital_Website_Pick_16.jpg

ISABELLA EDDEY

Pos
Outside midfielder
Ht 162cm, DOB 11/2/02

A classy outside midfielder, Eddey is an excellent user of the footy with sharp vision and a more-than-tidy side-step. She has a silky kick and is great at setting up teammates in scoring positions. Eddey is able to hit the scoreboard herself and is a strong runner, covering the ground well.

If not her? As above, the combination of picks before 16 will contribute to the Dogs' decision, but McNamara would add nicely to the Dogs' midfield. Forward Steph Williams has also been linked to the club.

FINAL DRAFT ORDER Your club's picks

Other names to watch in the early rounds

Olivia Barber (key forward, Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country)

Renee Saulitis (small forward, GWV Rebels/Vic Country)

Amelia Velardo (ruck, Western Jets/Vic Metro)

Laura Gardiner (midfielder, Geelong Falcons/Vic Country)

Megan Fitzsimon (midfielder, Gippsland Power/Vic Country)

Alice O'Loughlin (mid/forward, Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro)

Steph Williams (forward, Darwin Buffaloes & Geelong Falcons/NT but nominated Vic)

Sarah Verrier (mid-sized utility, Peel Thunder/WA)

Mikayla Morrison (forward/mid, East Perth Royals/WA)

Amber Ward (defender, North Adelaide/SA)

Ashleigh Woodland (mid-sized utility, North Adelaide/SA)

Maddison Levi (forward/defender, Bond University/Qld)

Daisy D'Arcy (midfielder, Hermit Park/Qld)

Hoping for McKenzie or Smith at pick 2, then Barber later
The AFL phantom draft has us taking Bannan at 2 then Pritchard and Eddey.
I really like the sound of Pritchard (especially being a Dogs supporter) and Eddey looks like a silky type - but I would much prefer what you have suggested.

I just think we desperately need that bigger bodied mid with speed and skill and both Smith and Fitzgerald fit that mold.
Unfortunately McKenzie, Smith, Bannan and Fitzgerald are (reportedly) seen as the top 4 in the vic pool so it is unlikely one will slip through to 11.

The AFL phantom draft has us taking Bannan at 2 then Pritchard and Eddey.
I really like the sound of Pritchard (especially being a Dogs supporter) and Eddey looks like a silky type - but I would much prefer what you have suggested.

I just think we desperately need that bigger bodied mid with speed and skill and both Smith and Fitzgerald fit that mold.
Unfortunately McKenzie, Smith, Bannan and Fitzgerald are (reportedly) seen as the top 4 in the vic pool so it is unlikely one will slip through to 11.
Yeah the dream would be two of those four but it seems very unlikely. And yeah agree we need midfield help so Smith (preferred) or Fitzgerald would be my choice. But having said that a proper key forward in the women's game would be fun so not totally against Bannon. McNamara or Hill would be suitable as mids, and I like Eddey but maybe a bit too outside for what we need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another mock draft I saw today, this one is by Alex Docherty who is one of the 3 presenters on the A3 podcast.

This one has the Dogs selecting Bannan, Fitzgerald (ahead of Pritchard) and Moloney.

Another mock draft I saw today, this one is by Alex Docherty who is one of the 3 presenters on the A3 podcast.

Thanks for sharing.
It's interesting that Barber and Caris are so high in this phantom and don't feature in the first round on the AFL website.
I guess it all comes down to the individual clubs needs and rankings. Can't wait to see how the real thing plays out

Thanks for sharing.
It's interesting that Barber and Caris are so high in this phantom and don't feature in the first round on the AFL website.
I guess it all comes down to the individual clubs needs and rankings. Can't wait to see how the real thing plays out

I wouldn’t be surprised for Barber to go early given 2019 All Australian and NAB league Team of the Year Honours but I think Caris at 13 (NM) is a reach unless they think she can contribute from Round 1 and free up Emma King to play forward. Other clubs may be willing to draft her for the long term but I would expect 2nd round onwards.

Some stats on our new draftees…

Jess Fitzgerald - 8/3/2002
18 games for Northern Knights over three seasons kicking 5.8 and averaging 15 disposals at 58% efficiency, 5 tackles, 3 clearances and 135 Champion Data Ranking Points.

Sarah Hartwig - 4/12/2002
12 games for Sandringham Dragons over two seasons kicking 0.0 averaging 14 disposals at 60% efficiency, 4 tackles, 1 clearance, 3 rebounds, 3 marks and 139 Champion Data Ranking Points.

Isabelle Pritchard - 8/3/2002
10 games for Western Jets over two seasons kicking 0.1 averaging 18 disposals at 53% efficiency, 5 tackles, 3 clearances, 3 marks, 3 rebounds and 173 Champion Data Ranking Points.

I was hoping for Fitzgerald or Smith at 2 so if Fitzgerald is the higher rated by the dogs I'm wrapped with that. I think she is exactly what we need.
I was surprised by Hartwig but again if she was the next highest rated after those top 4 I'll look forward to watching her deliver off the backline.
Pritchard I would have been happy with at our second pick so wrapped to get her here. Always great to see a westy/dogs fan get to wear the jumper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back