Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

TheTassieHawk Any idea what the Dogs would have rated better about Fitzgerald over Smith?

I would be speculating but as another Northern Knights and 2019 Vic Metro Rep they would know quite a lot about her.

This could be another case of drafting a player based on how good they think she will be in 3 years time rather than their under 18s body of work, which whiel excellent wasn't quite as impressive as Smith's.

Both Fitzgerald and Smith will be guns.

Last edited:
I would be speculating but as another Northern Knights and 2019 Vic Metro Rep they would know quite a lot about her.

This could be another case of drafting a player based on how good they think she will be in 3 years time rather than their under 18s body of work, which whiel excellent wasn't quite as impressive as Smith's.

Both Fitzgerald and Smith will be guns.

Yeah, I have full faith in the recruiting department. Burke coached the Vic Metro girls to an U18 undefeated championships and has coached at the Northern Knights. I'm sure he knows the Northern Knights girls at least fairly well and knows what he's doing.

Also, the doggies have a good track record finding gems in the draft (even though some have left). Huntington, Conti, McCarthy, Newton and Georgosthis all look to be future stars, if not already (not including the first draft, since most players taken in that draft were older than 18).

Sure there are other players who will probably turn out good too, but can't have them all. Let's have faith the ones the doggies picked will all be good picks.

Pritchard with our last is a great get

Sorry for the intrusion

My niece.

Pick 16 Western Bulldogs. Last pick of round 1.

Isabelle Pritchard. Key Defender/ruck.

Local girl. Literally lives across Geelong Rd from the Western Oval.

Whole family are mad Dogs supporters.

Dad played under 19s for Footscray, uncle is Robert Groenewegen.

So stoked.

I am a Bulldogs AFLW supporter for the duration (hope you don't mind)

Sorry for the intrusion

My niece.

Pick 16 Western Bulldogs. Last pick of round 1.

Isabelle Pritchard. Key Defender/ruck.

Local girl. Literally lives across Geelong Rd from the Western Oval.

Whole family are mad Dogs supporters.

Dad played under 19s for Footscray, uncle is Robert Groenewegen.

So stoked.

I am a Bulldogs AFLW supporter for the duration (hope you don't mind)
I love these stories - keeps an element of sentimentality in our sport that few sports have.
Do you have any idea where the dogs see her lining up? I've read a few things suggesting she could end up being a tall midfielder.

I love these stories - keeps an element of sentimentality in our sport that few sports have.
Do you have any idea where the dogs see her lining up? I've read a few things suggesting she could end up being a tall midfielder.

Not sure, yet, still a bit underdeveloped, most of her sport through her teenage years was netball so she is relatively new. Dominates at junior level, but against the big girls will take a bit of time. Much of her time has been rucking and backline. Was Western Jets captain so has a good head on her shoulders

Has a twin brother who played Western Jets for a bit and now has been picked up by Yarraville. Have seen more of Zac play than Issy, however a neighbour is a Western Jets coach and he has very high hopes for her.

So happy she got to the Dogs, thought Melbourne may go for her which would have meant training at Cranbourne, a long trip from Kingsville. Although a Saints fan, my whole family are Dogs fans and I live in the district in Altona. Finally have an excuse to support you guys. :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Not sure, yet, still a bit underdeveloped, most of her sport through her teenage years was netball so she is relatively new. Dominates at junior level, but against the big girls will take a bit of time. Much of her time has been rucking and backline. Was Western Jets captain so has a good head on her shoulders

Has a twin brother who played Western Jets for a bit and now has been picked up by Yarraville. Have seen more of Zac play than Issy, however a neighbour is a Western Jets coach and he has very high hopes for her.

So happy she got to the Dogs, thought Melbourne may go for her which would have meant training at Cranbourne, a long trip from Kingsville. Although a Saints fan, my whole family are Dogs fans and I live in the district in Altona. Finally have an excuse to support you guys. :thumbsu: :thumbsu:
Thanks for the info Joffaboy and good luck Friday :thumbsu:

What an awesome story, and how fabulous for Isabelle. It's the stuff you dream of.

Hey guys and girls, just thought if you were interested in reading some features of interviews we did on them (Fitzgerald is actually on a podcast we did so I've linked that where she talks about her journey), you can hear from them in their own words.

Western Bulldogs:

#2 – Jess Fitzgerald (Northern Knights/Vic Metro)
#11 – Sarah Hartwig (Sandringham Dragons/Vic Metro)
#16 – Isabelle Pritchard (Western Jets/Vic Metro)
Any idea how early we could expect them to debut P4L?

And do you have an opinion on Pritchard's midfield potential?

Any idea how early we could expect them to debut P4L?

And do you have an opinion on Pritchard's midfield potential?
All could play pretty early. Fitzgerald and Hartwig particularly from R1. Pritchard might be, if not then not long after.

She really dominated in the first couple of games this year, one that really impressed me. She's able to find the ball on the inside with ease and being that bigger body, she has the capability of getting in there. She can still add more strength, because she was against slighter opponents, but she's a quality player. In an open draft, Fitzgerald and Hartwig are in the top six with McKenzie, Bannan, Smith and Charlton (pretty even) and you'd have Pritchard in the next four-five group.

The Dogs are going to be a really fun team to watch over the next couple of years. You'd push for finals next season, and then probably be a contender the year or so after. The youth you and the Saints have accumulated is phenomenal.

All could play pretty early. Fitzgerald and Hartwig particularly from R1. Pritchard might be, if not then not long after.

She really dominated in the first couple of games this year, one that really impressed me. She's able to find the ball on the inside with ease and being that bigger body, she has the capability of getting in there. She can still add more strength, because she was against slighter opponents, but she's a quality player. In an open draft, Fitzgerald and Hartwig are in the top six with McKenzie, Bannan, Smith and Charlton (pretty even) and you'd have Pritchard in the next four-five group.

The Dogs are going to be a really fun team to watch over the next couple of years. You'd push for finals next season, and then probably be a contender the year or so after. The youth you and the Saints have accumulated is phenomenal.
Exciting to hear Hartwig included in the top bracket, I didn't know she was so highly rated.

Yeah I'm really excited about the future of this team. 7 first round draft picks in two years and two pick ones in the last four. It's fun putting together a projected best 21. In a way the exodus since our flag has allowed us to concentrate our talent in a small age range and could end up being a long-term positive.

How do you rate those first four players we drafted last year? Anyone we'll regret passing over do you think? Morris-Dalton I'm very excited about - I did a little scouting for the Pies in 2018 (I haven't paid anywhere near as much attention since sadly) when she was an underager and she stood out even then. I was pumped when we picked her up.

Also how do you see the choice of Fitzgerald over Smith?

And the trade for Katie Lynch?

(Sorry a million questions - it's super rare to get to talk to someone knowledgable about women's drafting.)

Last edited:
Exciting to hear Hartwig included in the top bracket, I didn't know she was so highly rated.

Yeah I'm really excited about the future of this team. 7 first round draft picks in two years and two pick ones in the last four. It's fun putting together a projected best 21. In a way the exodus since our flag has allowed us to concentrate our talent in a small age range and could end up being a long-term positive.

It's funny you mention Hartwig, prior to 2019 season I did some Power Rankings with five players who had elite potential. So this is only off their 2018 form, Under 16s stuff. These were the five I identified as having that elite potential.

ELITE POTENTIAL:
1 Ellie McKenzie (Northern Knights)
2 Isabelle Pritchard (Western Jets)
3 Sarah Hartwig (Sandringham Dragons)
4 Tyanna Smith (Dandenong Stingrays)
5 Alyssa Bannan (Northern Knights)

I'm pretty chuffed because they've certainly lived up to that, and in terms of upside that, swapping some around (Smith to 2, Bannan to 3, Hartwig to 4, Pritchard to 5), could be about where it sits. Obviously there are others who have since filled that role too, but on pure upside then those five have it (so definitely rate Pritchard too).

The next three I had were Tarni Brown, Alice Burke and Maggie Caris. Brown I still rate in the top 10, Burke not far off, Caris probably around that 15-20 mark. I had a few others who missed out this year in the top 15, but the next list is where Fitzgerald featured along with Olivia Barber, Renee Saulitis and Mimi Hill.

How do you rate those first four players we drafted last year? Anyone we'll regret passing over do you think? Morris-Dalton I'm very excited about - I did a little scouting for the Pies in 2018 (I haven't paid anywhere near as much attention since sadly) when she was an underager and she stood out even then. I was pumped when we picked her up.

It's funny because last year at the venue, no one included NMD was expecting her to go that high. She was really honest and thought she was going to be a pic in the teens. That's probably about where she sat in hindsight, but you include the value of being a KPF, and look at the list and a whole and there's not a huge deal more you would take ahead of her other than her teammates or players that weren't available to you. Soph Molan will be good, that was just a tough team to come into, so she's probably the one I expected to go at that pick (or realistically Lagioia who I figured would be the next one). Obviously Tigers must have been keen too so that's a reason why she went higher (as NMD was even shocked by it so they must have had word.

With Newton, McEvoy or Patrikios you could never go wrong really. They were the clear top three then a gap, and Newton has the most upside, McEvoy the most consistent and Patrikios the most skilful, but it's the different needs/likes for different teams.

Lagioia as I said I probably rated around the NMD pick, and I dare say had Millie Brown not been a f/d, and obviously Roxy Roux she should have come into consideration around about then too. Georgostathis is one I was happy about because 12 months ago prior to that I didn't think she'd get drafted. Her middle-age (16->17yo) year she was solid, but one of those 'you'll make a really good state-leaguer' types, there wasn't anything huge leaping off the page for me. Then come her top-age year after obviously a big preseason begins to use more of her athleticism and begins to do more offensive damage. She was always great defensively, but offensively she began to shine and it was her VFLW season that bolstered her up to that spot.

Also how do you see the choice of Fitzgerald over Smith?

Smith I rated as the only person close to McKenzie just because she legitimately has no flaws in her game. Her acceleration is the best in the draft no question, once she gets going, she's gone. She's consistent off either foot, rarely makes a mistake, lifts her team, can play multiple roles.

Fitzgerald was a bit of a bolter, but I'm also so happy for Jess because she's an amazing human being. She came on our podcast and we chatted to her from time to time and she was always willing to help. She actually kick-started a lot of our features because not much was happening Victoria wise so we needed a way to contact girls we hadn't before and there was the whole unknown with talent managers. We asked Jess and she's like sure, here's Ellie McKenzie's number, here's Alyssa Bannan's number etc (after checking with them first of course haha), and it helped us then go through friends to chat to them all.

In terms of on-field performance, you also can't fault Fitzgerald, she's a big-time performer. Also she's another Knight which fits in with Nathan Burke's Vic Metro raid to try and keep that 2019 VM team together, so it makes sense. She's one of the better kicks of the top players, and certainly reads the play so well, can play inside or out and is consistent as they come. I know Burke is huge on character and she's certainly that.

In an open draft this year, I probably would have gone:

1 McKenzie 2 Smith 3 Bannan 4 Charlton 5 Hartwig 6 Fitzgerald 7 Farquharson 8 T Brown 9 Pritchard 10 Verrier (but it gets tough at the end).

Basically Fitzgerald might have been a few picks later but Hartwig and Pritchard were both steals of the highest order, and you can't hear anyone say a bad word about Jess, she's a super human and I know our entire team are stoked she went so high.

And the trade for Katie Lynch?

(Sorry a million questions - it's super rare to get to talk to someone knowledgable about women's drafting.)

From a Pies fan perspective I wasn't happy with it haha. Lynch has a lot of potential. She's a good size can play mid/fwd and at the time I thought she's a pretty good get. I think the difference between the Dogs and Pies with drafting has been the Pies have just targeted needs, which is great, you do need that if you've got a structure. Whereas Dogs have targeted talent and upside, and tbh by picking them all out of the same team (Vic Metro) they're used to fitting into a strategy anyway given the coach is the same.

Overall as I said I think Saints and then Dogs did the best this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's funny you mention Hartwig, prior to 2019 season I did some Power Rankings with five players who had elite potential. So this is only off their 2018 form, Under 16s stuff. These were the five I identified as having that elite potential.

ELITE POTENTIAL:
1 Ellie McKenzie (Northern Knights)
2 Isabelle Pritchard (Western Jets)
3 Sarah Hartwig (Sandringham Dragons)
4 Tyanna Smith (Dandenong Stingrays)
5 Alyssa Bannan (Northern Knights)

I'm pretty chuffed because they've certainly lived up to that, and in terms of upside that, swapping some around (Smith to 2, Bannan to 3, Hartwig to 4, Pritchard to 5), could be about where it sits. Obviously there are others who have since filled that role too, but on pure upside then those five have it (so definitely rate Pritchard too).

The next three I had were Tarni Brown, Alice Burke and Maggie Caris. Brown I still rate in the top 10, Burke not far off, Caris probably around that 15-20 mark. I had a few others who missed out this year in the top 15, but the next list is where Fitzgerald featured along with Olivia Barber, Renee Saulitis and Mimi Hill.

It's funny because last year at the venue, no one included NMD was expecting her to go that high. She was really honest and thought she was going to be a pic in the teens. That's probably about where she sat in hindsight, but you include the value of being a KPF, and look at the list and a whole and there's not a huge deal more you would take ahead of her other than her teammates or players that weren't available to you. Soph Molan will be good, that was just a tough team to come into, so she's probably the one I expected to go at that pick (or realistically Lagioia who I figured would be the next one). Obviously Tigers must have been keen too so that's a reason why she went higher (as NMD was even shocked by it so they must have had word.

With Newton, McEvoy or Patrikios you could never go wrong really. They were the clear top three then a gap, and Newton has the most upside, McEvoy the most consistent and Patrikios the most skilful, but it's the different needs/likes for different teams.

Lagioia as I said I probably rated around the NMD pick, and I dare say had Millie Brown not been a f/d, and obviously Roxy Roux she should have come into consideration around about then too. Georgostathis is one I was happy about because 12 months ago prior to that I didn't think she'd get drafted. Her middle-age (16->17yo) year she was solid, but one of those 'you'll make a really good state-leaguer' types, there wasn't anything huge leaping off the page for me. Then come her top-age year after obviously a big preseason begins to use more of her athleticism and begins to do more offensive damage. She was always great defensively, but offensively she began to shine and it was her VFLW season that bolstered her up to that spot.

Smith I rated as the only person close to McKenzie just because she legitimately has no flaws in her game. Her acceleration is the best in the draft no question, once she gets going, she's gone. She's consistent off either foot, rarely makes a mistake, lifts her team, can play multiple roles.

Fitzgerald was a bit of a bolter, but I'm also so happy for Jess because she's an amazing human being. She came on our podcast and we chatted to her from time to time and she was always willing to help. She actually kick-started a lot of our features because not much was happening Victoria wise so we needed a way to contact girls we hadn't before and there was the whole unknown with talent managers. We asked Jess and she's like sure, here's Ellie McKenzie's number, here's Alyssa Bannan's number etc (after checking with them first of course haha), and it helped us then go through friends to chat to them all.

In terms of on-field performance, you also can't fault Fitzgerald, she's a big-time performer. Also she's another Knight which fits in with Nathan Burke's Vic Metro raid to try and keep that 2019 VM team together, so it makes sense. She's one of the better kicks of the top players, and certainly reads the play so well, can play inside or out and is consistent as they come. I know Burke is huge on character and she's certainly that.

In an open draft this year, I probably would have gone:

1 McKenzie 2 Smith 3 Bannan 4 Charlton 5 Hartwig 6 Fitzgerald 7 Farquharson 8 T Brown 9 Pritchard 10 Verrier (but it gets tough at the end).

Basically Fitzgerald might have been a few picks later but Hartwig and Pritchard were both steals of the highest order, and you can't hear anyone say a bad word about Jess, she's a super human and I know our entire team are stoked she went so high.

From a Pies fan perspective I wasn't happy with it haha. Lynch has a lot of potential. She's a good size can play mid/fwd and at the time I thought she's a pretty good get. I think the difference between the Dogs and Pies with drafting has been the Pies have just targeted needs, which is great, you do need that if you've got a structure. Whereas Dogs have targeted talent and upside, and tbh by picking them all out of the same team (Vic Metro) they're used to fitting into a strategy anyway given the coach is the same.

Overall as I said I think Saints and then Dogs did the best this year.
It's an interesting mixed bag that you rate our two later picks higher than our first haha.

I have a feeling we rate personality and leadership a lot higher that other clubs, which explains Newton and Fitzgerald as picks over other options. I'm not sure how I feel about it as a tactic, but I'm assuming they're only using it as a difference-maker.

Interesting about NMD. My opinion was only based on seeing her in two games so it's not that well informed. Can't wait to see what she can do.

Thanks for the opinion, appreciate it.

It's an interesting mixed bag that you rate our two later picks higher than our first haha.

I have a feeling we rate personality and leadership a lot higher that other clubs, which explains Newton and Fitzgerald as picks over other options. I'm not sure how I feel about it as a tactic, but I'm assuming they're only using it as a difference-maker.

Interesting about NMD. My opinion was only based on seeing her in two games so it's not that well informed. Can't wait to see what she can do.

That was the list I had prior to 2019 (so two seasons, or one and a half have past since then). I was pointing out Pritchard’s upside with that one. Lower down in that post I did my up-to-date open ratings:

That was the list I had prior to 2019 (so two seasons, or one and a half have past since then). I was pointing out Pritchard’s upside with that one. Lower down in that post I did my up-to-date open ratings:

Oh yeah yeah true. Got them mixed up on the reread. Still, one slight reach and two steals seems to be the takeaway. Overall gotta be happy.

Also most of the chat around Pritchard seems to label her as a late bloomer, interesting that you had her pegged from a couple seasons out.

Oh yeah yeah true. Got them mixed up on the reread. Still, one slight reach and two steals seems to be the takeaway. Overall gotta be happy.

Also most of the chat around Pritchard seems to label her as a late bloomer, interesting that you had her pegged from a couple seasons out.
I think the late bloomer term has come from the fact she only started the year before that in U16s or so. She was a clear standout in her U16 year which is why I rated her so highly. Reads the ball well, a good size and intercepts with ease.

Was it a bit of a reach to Fitzgerald at 2 then Pie 4 Life ?

Most mocks I saw had Bannan at 2, with some suggesting Smith.
A little bit she’s a quality player. I had the two you mentioned plus McKenzie as the standout three. Then it’s fairly even but Hartwig and Fitzgerald probably the next two IMO.

I wonder whether there is a bit of an understanding from clubs that this is still a semi-professional comp and it is a bit unfair to completely upturn an 18 year old girls life for a pretty paltry contract to play football for a couple of months of the year.

Geelong still stick mostly to local talent even though it is an open pool, and maybe for someone like Smith getting to Seaford for training is much easier than traveling all the way from the South East to Footscray.

Even just keeping a group of friends together like we seem to be doing with some of these Northern girls might be seen as a way of making life easier for the girls and given the nature of the comp that could be seen as pretty desirable.

Not sure whether it is much of a factor - just something that occurred to me.

Also if anyone is interested Draft Central have looked ahead to next years draft.
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/2020/10/19/2021-aflw-under-18s-ones-to-watch/

Nyakoat Dojiok was a name that jumped out, as I am going to go out on a limb and say she wasn't born in Australia, and GWV is our academy zone.
Does anyone know if she is one of ours?

GWV-Nyakoat-Dojiok-1024x683.jpg

Nyakoat Dojiok (GWV Rebels/Vic Country)

A player who is not afraid to take the game on and really take it to the opposition is GWV Rebels’ Dojiok who has been developing year-on-year over the last few years. Playing as a 15-year-old a few years back, Dojiok is one who when she gets going is hard to contain, and she has that rich blend of power and speed. She is utilised best as that outside runner, playing off half-back or along a wing, but is eye-catching in the way she plays and the way she can bring teammates into the game. Entering her top-age year, expect her to see even more midfield time as she has some seriously great traits.

Also if anyone is interested Draft Central have looked ahead to next years draft.
https://afl.draftcentral.com.au/2020/10/19/2021-aflw-under-18s-ones-to-watch/

Nyakoat Dojiok was a name that jumped out, as I am going to go out on a limb and say she wasn't born in Australia, and GWV is our academy zone.
Does anyone know if she is one of ours?

GWV-Nyakoat-Dojiok-1024x683.jpg

Nyakoat Dojiok (GWV Rebels/Vic Country)

A player who is not afraid to take the game on and really take it to the opposition is GWV Rebels’ Dojiok who has been developing year-on-year over the last few years. Playing as a 15-year-old a few years back, Dojiok is one who when she gets going is hard to contain, and she has that rich blend of power and speed. She is utilised best as that outside runner, playing off half-back or along a wing, but is eye-catching in the way she plays and the way she can bring teammates into the game. Entering her top-age year, expect her to see even more midfield time as she has some seriously great traits.

I believe she is part of our NGA yes...

I also believe she was going to play for our VFLW team this year before COVID hit.

She looks like she is going to be a star, she's played 70% in the midfield and 25% in defence for her 8 NAB League games and averaged 90 Ranking Points.

I believe she is part of our NGA yes...

I also believe she was going to play for our VFLW team this year before COVID hit.

She looks like she is going to be a star, she's played 70% in the midfield and 25% in defence for her 8 NAB League games and averaged 90 Ranking Points.
That's exciting. So we will potentially be adding a couple more first round talents to our list next year after 4 this year.
We are definitely accumulating quite a talented list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back