AFLW - GC SUNS licence approved for 2020 #GetSet

Remove this Banner Ad

What I find really really disappointing is all the negative comments on social media about the scoreline. Was it a low scoring match? Yes but there were reasons for it. It was due to conditions and fatigue as well. A fantastic effort by our girls and sadly we just ran out of legs. What should be mentioned though is the Giants experience with wet games. They have played about half a dozen of wet weather matches as a team versus this being our first match

What I find really really disappointing is all the negative comments on social media about the scoreline. Was it a low scoring match? Yes but there were reasons for it. It was due to conditions and fatigue as well. A fantastic effort by our girls and sadly we just ran out of legs. What should be mentioned though is the Giants experience with wet games. They have played about half a dozen of wet weather matches as a team versus this being our first match

they simply don’t know what they are talking about.anyone that’s played even a minimal amount of footy knows what happens to a Sherrin when played in heavy conditions

This result does hurt looking at the other teams in our conference this weekend.
If we won, we would lead the conference after 3 games this round!

solid effort considering the conditions! really impressed by a number of the girls, i know we're a young team but i wouldn't be surprised if we get an upset or two this year. stanton is a great pick up!

I'd be interested to read what briztoon thought of our performance today. Particularly before the Lions team plays their match to avoid any bias.
I’m at work, so only caught the last 8 minutes, which was pretty much what you’d expect in such conditions, so not reading anything in to the game or result.

I just caught the last 4 minutes of the Lions first quarter. Will have to get back to work before the second quarter starts.

So I’ll ask you the same thing if you’re watching our game.

I’m at work, so only caught the last 8 minutes, which was pretty much what you’d expect in such conditions, so not reading anything in to the game or result.

I just caught the last 4 minutes of the Lions first quarter. Will have to get back to work before the second quarter starts.

You should see the first half. The effort the girls put in was brilliant. Can't fault their intent and effort, given the conditions. It's good signs going forward.

You should see the first half. The effort the girls put in was brilliant. Can't fault their intent and effort, given the conditions. It's good signs going forward.
Efforts never been the issue in the women’s game.

It always come down to which team has the most talent and execute better.

Efforts never been the issue in the women’s game.

It always come down to which team has the most talent and execute better.
Of course, and in the end, the experience of the giants won out. A bit more cleaner with the ball. But overall, I'm pleased.

To compare. Lions started on fire, got 20 points lead. Before half time Crows started to dominate but could not convert. It will be interesting 2nd half.

Last edited:

I've only been watching since half time but it's not surprising to see Wuetschner and Lutkins dominating at either end. Adelaide are really struggling to get it inside 50 and when they do they turn it over. Lions have been good in transition and accurate in front of goal. Arnell has 2 goals.

Looks like it's going to be a surprisingly good day for both QLD footy teams.

It’s not so much singling out this particular game it’s every single social media post about aflw in general unfortunately..
some of the comments are actually disgusting and the disappointing thing is 99.9% of the comments are from men some even with pictures of their daughters in the profile pic!

Does anyone here get the Gold Coast Bulletin? I was in the section interviewing fans about AFLW however, I haven't been able to get a copy down here in Melbourne.

Would be nice if the Cats were to lose to Fremantle tomorrow as it would mean we are only outside of the Conference A top 3 by 2% with an upcoming home game against the bottom placed Tigers. I've got a good feeling about the Richmond match up next week!

Will we be getting any girls back from injury next week?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kitara Whap-Farrar Knee 2-3 weeks
Ellie Hampson Ankle 3-4 weeks
Emma Pittman Knee Season
Looks like that's a no. Would be awesome to get Whap-Farrar and Hampson back in 2-3 weeks as both were U18 AA players last year and can definitely contribute to our already strong backline.

On Twitter Lions Whiting has been liking anything to do with the Bris Women’s Team and nothing with our team not even the tweet when they ran on for the first time or kicked their first goal.
The so called AFL media guy for up here is just a Bris Cheerleader in full regalia including Pom Poms.

On Twitter Lions Whiting has been liking anything to do with the Bris Women’s Team and nothing with our team not even the tweet when they ran on for the first time or kicked their first goal.
The so called AFL media guy for up here is just a Bris Cheerleader in full regalia including Pom Poms.
AFL Queensland posted an article about the 5 thing we learnt from the Lions v Crows match but nothing however they don’t post an article for our match

Eliza Reilly from the GC Bulletin has written she learnt the following five things from round 1 of the AFLW season:
  • Suns bring the heat.
  • Inexperienced defence stands tall.
  • Lake not afraid to shuffle the magnets.
  • Forwards dangerous despite limited opportunity.
  • Suns faithful turn out in force.

Good to see Swallow and Dew went to Blacktown to support girls.

Swallow presented the girls with their jumpers, so makes sense.

Some interviews.

Is anyone headed to the game this weekend against Richmond?

Does anyone know how the transport will work for this? Any parking etc?

Bit of an unknown given its the first home game.

From the Gold Coast website....

Gold Coast SUNS v Richmond Tigers

Where: Metricon Stadium
When: Saturday 15 February
SUNS Members Gates Open: 2.45pm EST
Gates Open: 3.00pm EST
Game Starts: 4.10pm EST
Admission: FREE!
TRANSPORT INFO
If you wish to catch FREE transport on Surfside Buses, G:Link or Queensland Rail, you will need to show your SUNS or Tigers membership card or register for a ticket here. Please note that a ticket to the game is not required if you do not wish to utilise this free transport.
Regular match day shuttle buses will be running from Boowaggan Road Park'n'Ride, South Broadbeach Station and Nerang Station. More info regarding transport, click here.

Gold Coast ruck Lauren Bella was charged with rough conduct against GWS forward Cora Staunton, with the incident graded as careless conduct with low impact to the head.

I’ll be there and given I’ve paid for a membership I’m expecting to be able to park.
I’ll email them now. Thanks for bringing that up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back