AFLW - GC SUNS licence approved for 2020 #GetSet

Remove this Banner Ad

Is anyone headed to the game this weekend against Richmond?

Does anyone know how the transport will work for this? Any parking etc?

Bit of an unknown given its the first home game.
No parking at Metricon and transport same as any normal game or event at Metricon

Here are some interviews and highlights from the game

This is one of my favourite things about the woman’s comp.
Love how open and honest they are.

Wish the men spoke like this and don’t let the media training take over their thoughts

So great to see the girls get their own change rooms at Metricon!

Mt Isa Mustang we have a pre-existing sponsorship with Bond Uni.

I’d gladly swap Uni sponsors with you guys, seeing as my wife works at Griffith Uni (in Brisbane).

Maybe we can revisit this discussion during the trade period, but you’ll have to throw in some steak knives to get the trade over the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit annoyed reading Fox Footy's predictions
GOLD COAST SUNS

It might be a tough debut AFLW season for the Suns. They picked up an array of handy players from the Lions, but this is predominantly a young list with a chasm of top-end talent. And they’ll be without Emma Pittman, who played eight games for Brisbane in two years, for the season due to a knee setback. Lots of responsibility will be on co-captain and gun defender Leah Kaslar, while Jamie Stanton and Paige Parker bring some class to the midfield. Ruck Lauren Bella is an exciting prospect if it can click for her. But overall, expect the Suns to be near the bottom of the Conference A ladder in 2020.

Predicted ladder range: 5th-7th

A bit annoyed reading Fox Footy's predictions
GOLD COAST SUNS

It might be a tough debut AFLW season for the Suns. They picked up an array of handy players from the Lions, but this is predominantly a young list with a chasm of top-end talent. And they’ll be without Emma Pittman, who played eight games for Brisbane in two years, for the season due to a knee setback. Lots of responsibility will be on co-captain and gun defender Leah Kaslar, while Jamie Stanton and Paige Parker bring some class to the midfield. Ruck Lauren Bella is an exciting prospect if it can click for her. But overall, expect the Suns to be near the bottom of the Conference A ladder in 2020.

Predicted ladder range: 5th-7th

Preaching to the converted with me but I know some of our own fans genuinely thought the girls would struggle to win a single game this year. Now we're sitting second on the ladder after three rounds and it's a sweet feeling to know all the doubters were wrong. Our girls are a big chance to play finals this year and seem to have the game style that stands up against the very best teams in the league. We have North Melbourne next week who are sitting directly below us on the ladder in third position so a win next week would be absolutely massive for our finals campaign.

Realistically, we may only need another two wins to secure a spot in the finals given there are only eight rounds in the home and away season. It's really important for us to beat the teams directly below us in Conference A and those teams are North Melbourne (Round 4), Geelong (Round 5) and Adelaide (Round 7). Definitely helps that two of those three games are home matches for us.

Preaching to the converted with me but I know some of our own fans genuinely thought the girls would struggle to win a single game this year. Now we're sitting second on the ladder after three rounds and it's a sweet feeling to know all the doubters were wrong. Our girls are a big chance to play finals this year and seem to have the game style that stands up against the very best teams in the league. We have North Melbourne next week who are sitting directly below us on the ladder in third position so a win next week would be absolutely massive for our finals campaign.

Realistically, we may only need another two wins to secure a spot in the finals given there are only eight rounds in the home and away season. It's really important for us to beat the teams directly below us in Conference A and those teams are North Melbourne (Round 4), Geelong (Round 5) and Adelaide (Round 7). Definitely helps that two of those three games are home matches for us.

Myself and others were happy for us to have a team and ready to stick with and support the girls whether they went well or struggled.
If that makes you feel good about yourself or feel sweet then more power to you.
I’m more than happy to front up and say they are exceeding my expectations and doing the GC proud.
They’d have made me proud in their first season if they’d lost all 3 so long as they were cracking in.

Women's Footy on Channel Nine at the moment:

-Ellie Blackburn (Western Bulldogs Captain) and Lauren Wood (Herald Sun) saying that we are the best of the expansion sides.
-Blackburn impressed with Howarth particularly how she was able to kick that goal to tie things up with the pressure and on a slight angle.
-Blackburn says credit to GC for being able to come back with a young and inexperienced team
-Lauren Wood says the SUNS are good chances for Finals with Blackburn saying everyone is surprised with how the Suns are going.
-Women's Footy POM Voting has Howarth as player of the match

Looking at today’s fixtures there’s a strong probability we will drop down to 5th today in the conference.
Exactly, that’s why I was annoyed it ended in a draw because we wouldn’t be equal with 2nd like last week, we’d be half a game behind

Exactly, that’s why I was annoyed it ended in a draw because we wouldn’t be equal with 2nd like last week, we’d be half a game behind

Yeah I’m with you. I was at the game and when it was 19-0 and Brisbane again on the attack I was getting concerned it was going to be a disaster so when we fought back and got a draw I was chuffed.
But a day later and having thought about what could have been I’m a little bit frustrated.

Yeah I’m with you. I was at the game and when it was 19-0 and Brisbane again on the attack I was getting concerned it was going to be a disaster so when we fought back and got a draw I was chuffed.
But a day later and having thought about what could have been I’m a little bit frustrated.
Especially when we had multiple opportunities later in the match

Myself and others were happy for us to have a team and ready to stick with and support the girls whether they went well or struggled.
If that makes you feel good about yourself or feel sweet then more power to you.
Sorry mate. I probably could have worded that better. The sweetness comes from a certain Brisbane Lions supporter suggesting we wouldn't even be competitive for a decade. As you always say, it's a sweet feeling when you prove Brisbane people wrong but I was never intending to pull down other GC posters with my post. I understand why some members of our fanbase were doubting the team in our first season but a prediction of 10 years of mediocrity (or worse) from an opposition supporter was too much for me to cop.

Sorry mate. I probably could have worded that better. The sweetness comes from a certain Brisbane Lions supporter suggesting we wouldn't even be competitive for a decade. As you always say, it's a sweet feeling when you prove Brisbane people wrong but I was never intending to pull down other GC posters with my post. I understand why some members of our fanbase were doubting the team in our first season but a prediction of 10 years of mediocrity (or worse) from an opposition supporter was too much for me to cop.

ahhh yes I now realise whom you were referring to. The dripping tap from the Brown River City.
He’s been quiet since yesterday.
Thanks Girls!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back