AFLW - GC SUNS licence approved for 2020 #GetSet

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it's probably time for the mods to change the title of this thread. The licence approval is old news. We're now less than a week away from playing our first ever competitive AFLW (preseason) match.

SUNS

Ahrens in particular is an interesting one because she went to PBC and had no intention of playing football until she relocated to Melbourne for her university studies. Anyway, it's certainly nice to see the Tweed Coast represented in our team. I've always felt the Tweed is a part of the Gold Coast, even though it's in a separate state. Georgia Breward is probably the player on our list that comes from the most southern part of the Northern Rivers region with her hometown being Lawrence, NSW.

I think Jesse Joyce is the only male player on our list that comes from the Tweed region.

Lauren went to Kingscliff HS and is one of those many kids who then went to PBC for the latter high school years when she was identified for her sporting prowess in Touch. Would’ve continued living on the Tweed I think while attending PBC.

Lauren went to Kingscliff HS and is one of those many kids who then went to PBC for the latter high school years when she was identified for her sporting prowess in Touch. Would’ve continued living on the Tweed I think while attending PBC.
That's interesting. Roberts went to Kingy High as well but I guess wasn't offered the same scholarship opportunities as Ahrens.

PBC is such a funnel for sporting talents in the southern Gold Coast/Tweed region. If you show any kind of ability in the popular Australian sports and you live on the south side then it's very likely you'll end up at PBC. Jacob Dawson is another example of a Burleigh boy who ended up at PBC after his talents were identified. Bilambil's Ryan James is another example of a talent from the other end.

Once you start to head north of Burleigh/Robina then you see sporting prodigies choosing other schools like Benowa High, TSS, Keebra Park and Helensvale High.

That's interesting. Roberts went to Kingy High as well but I guess wasn't offered the same scholarship opportunities as Ahrens.

PBC is such a funnel for sporting talents in the southern Gold Coast/Tweed region. If you show any kind of ability in the popular Australian sports and you live on the south side then it's very likely you'll end up at PBC. Jacob Dawson is another example of a Burleigh boy who ended up at PBC after his talents were identified. Bilambil's Ryan James is another example of a talent from the other end.

Once you start to head north of Burleigh/Robina then you see sporting prodigies choosing other schools like Benowa High, TSS, Keebra Park and Helensvale High.

Maddy was happy to be a KHS kid and just put her name down and play in every sporting team and have a crack at everything.

Because of the Conference system, I think we can make the Finals in the AFLW considering our strong and underrated squad that we have!

Here are our odds according to the TAB
Premiership $67
GF $34
Finals $6.50

Go Ladies!
The conference system definitely increases our chances of qualifying for the finals. 3 of 7 (42%) teams in each conference qualify for the finals and some of the teams in our conference shouldn't really trouble us. You'd expect Brisbane to drop right off because they lost A LOT of their players this off season. GWS have been pretty average for a while and didn't really improve in the off season. Despite have a less than .500 record last year, Geelong qualified for the finals but in reality they seem to just be another mid-table team in the AFLW. Richmond are another expansion team like us so it's hard to know how they'll go. North Melbourne should be strong and we know the defending premiers in Adelaide should be the team to beat again. Anyway, we look a good chance to play finals!

Maddy was happy to be a KHS kid and just put her name down and play in every sporting team and have a crack at everything.
Great attitude to have. I'm super excited to see so many locals run out in the red and gold from next week onward!

Two scratch matches – Brisbane v Gold Coast and Carlton v St Kilda – were closed, with the clubs opting to not publish any information about what played out.

Two scratch matches – Brisbane v Gold Coast and Carlton v St Kilda – were closed, with the clubs opting to not publish any information about what played out.
Saints won by 10 points

as for the suns game I don’t know what occurred. Didn’t even know there was a match!

Saints won by 10 points

as for the suns game I don’t know what occurred. Didn’t even know there was a match!
maybe there will be some info tomorrow, when club hours are open. One can hope. Be nice to see how the girls went.

Just a few updates on the Suns AFLW

Week 1 Practice Matches Wrap
The Gold Coast v Brisbane practice match that was due to be played last weekend was washed out due to some wet and wild weather.
Do you want to know how the teams in our conference performed?

ADELAIDE: Defeated by GWS 5.8 (38) to 3.3 (21)
BRISBANE: Washed out Practice match vs Suns
GEELONG: Defeated by Melbourne in a Simulation/3Q Match

GWS GIANTS: Defeated Adelaide 5.8 (38) to 3.3 (21)
NTH MELBOURNE: Heavily outscored Collingwood (no scores)

RICHMOND: Defeated by Western Bulldogs 8.9 (57) to 3.1 (19)

Keep in mind, Adelaide had a young team (mainly due to injury but also resting some players before the Season starts)

Practice Matches this Weekend
As for the next practice match to be played this week vs St Kilda at Southport, unfortunately the prac match won't be live streamed. Suns Media will be writing a full match report following the game which will be available on the website and will be going behind-the-scenes on our social channels (response from GC Socials)

All matches will be full matches (4 quarters) in preparation for the season!

Matches featuring Conference A this weekend:
Saturday, 25 January (all times local)
Western Bulldogs v Geelong VU Whitten Oval, 10:30am
Carlton v North Melbourne Ikon Park, 11am
Gold Coast v St Kilda Southport Oval, 12pm
Fremantle v Adelaide David Grays Arena (Mandurah), 4pm
Sunday 26 January
GWS v Brisbane Tom Wills Oval, 9am
Richmond v West Coast Punt Road Oval, 1pm

Captains
When questioned about when we will be announcing our captains, "Very soon! We know our fans will be keen to know who will lead our first AFLW season" (response from GC Socials)

How did the teams go last year + Preview
Keeping in mind that Conference A was the stronger conference with 4 out of the 5 teams winning more games then the top side in Conference B.

Adelaide: 1st Conference A, Premiers
Brisbane: 4th Conference B
Geelong: 2nd Conference B, Semi Final thumping by Adelaide
GWS Giants: 3rd Conference B
North Melbourne 3rd Conference A
Richmond: New Team (4th in VFLW)

So looking at this (also we play Melbourne and West Coast), I think we might have an easier conference. Looking at the teams in Conference B, there are some strong teams (Carlton, Western Bulldogs, West Coast, Melbourne, and also including Fremantle, St Kilda).

Adelaide: Although they did win the Premiership last season, they will be weaker not having the NT alliance no more as well as losing co-captains Phillips and Randall for most of the season. They also don't have a good track record backing up from flags.
Teams they play from conference B: Carlton and St Kilda

Brisbane Lions: They had a disappointing year last year and should have another poor one in 2020 considering all the players that they have lost during the off season.
Teams they play from conference B: Collingwood and Fremantle

Geelong: Yes they did make Finals last season but that was in the weaker conference with wins only against Brisbane, Collingwood then an upset against Carlton. Brisbane and Collingwood had poor seasons and the match vs Carlton, the blue blew it so they were lucky to sneak in. When it came to playing the Bulldogs who were bottom of Conference A, they got smashed. They are just another mid-table team.
Teams they play from conference B: Fremantle and Collingwood

North Melbourne: They should probably win Conference A. They look like another strong team although they did lose some players to expansion sides. I expect them to play finals for the first time (they were robbed last year). Although they are a star studded team, they can be beaten. Playing the dogs and dees as the interconference games could make them slide down the conference ladder though.
Teams they play from conference B: Western Bulldogs and Melbourne

Richmond: By all accounts they have recruited boldly signing big names like Fredrick, Brennan, and Conti however big names don't always equal success! They need to know how to play together as a team and if there are too many egos in the team then it could have an effect on performance. They got smashed by the Bulldogs in the practice match last week who lost big names in the off season. They are beatable!
Teams they play from conference B: St Kilda and Carlton

So with all this, I would say that North Melbourne, Adelaide, and ourselves will progress into the Finals.

two other articles I found about the SUNS AFLW team if you didn't read yet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a few updates on the Suns AFLW

Week 1 Practice Matches Wrap
The Gold Coast v Brisbane practice match that was due to be played last weekend was washed out due to some wet and wild weather.
Do you want to know how the teams in our conference performed?

ADELAIDE: Defeated by GWS 5.8 (38) to 3.3 (21)
BRISBANE: Washed out Practice match vs Suns
GEELONG: Defeated by Melbourne in a Simulation/3Q Match

GWS GIANTS: Defeated Adelaide 5.8 (38) to 3.3 (21)
NTH MELBOURNE: Heavily outscored Collingwood (no scores)

RICHMOND: Defeated by Western Bulldogs 8.9 (57) to 3.1 (19)

Keep in mind, Adelaide had a young team (mainly due to injury but also resting some players before the Season starts)

Practice Matches this Weekend
As for the next practice match to be played this week vs St Kilda at Southport, unfortunately the prac match won't be live streamed. Suns Media will be writing a full match report following the game which will be available on the website and will be going behind-the-scenes on our social channels (response from GC Socials)

All matches will be full matches (4 quarters) in preparation for the season!

Matches featuring Conference A this weekend:
Saturday, 25 January (all times local)
Western Bulldogs v Geelong VU Whitten Oval, 10:30am
Carlton v North Melbourne Ikon Park, 11am
Gold Coast v St Kilda Southport Oval, 12pm
Fremantle v Adelaide David Grays Arena (Mandurah), 4pm
Sunday 26 January
GWS v Brisbane Tom Wills Oval, 9am
Richmond v West Coast Punt Road Oval, 1pm

Captains
When questioned about when we will be announcing our captains, "Very soon! We know our fans will be keen to know who will lead our first AFLW season" (response from GC Socials)

How did the teams go last year + Preview
Keeping in mind that Conference A was the stronger conference with 4 out of the 5 teams winning more games then the top side in Conference B.

Adelaide: 1st Conference A, Premiers
Brisbane: 4th Conference B
Geelong: 2nd Conference B, Semi Final thumping by Adelaide
GWS Giants: 3rd Conference B
North Melbourne 3rd Conference A
Richmond: New Team (4th in VFLW)

So looking at this (also we play Melbourne and West Coast), I think we might have an easier conference. Looking at the teams in Conference B, there are some strong teams (Carlton, Western Bulldogs, West Coast, Melbourne, and also including Fremantle, St Kilda).

Adelaide: Although they did win the Premiership last season, they will be weaker not having the NT alliance no more as well as losing co-captains Phillips and Randall for most of the season. They also don't have a good track record backing up from flags.
Teams they play from conference B: Carlton and St Kilda

Brisbane Lions: They had a disappointing year last year and should have another poor one in 2020 considering all the players that they have lost during the off season.
Teams they play from conference B: Collingwood and Fremantle

Geelong: Yes they did make Finals last season but that was in the weaker conference with wins only against Brisbane, Collingwood then an upset against Carlton. Brisbane and Collingwood had poor seasons and the match vs Carlton, the blue blew it so they were lucky to sneak in. When it came to playing the Bulldogs who were bottom of Conference A, they got smashed. They are just another mid-table team.
Teams they play from conference B: Fremantle and Collingwood

North Melbourne: They should probably win Conference A. They look like another strong team although they did lose some players to expansion sides. I expect them to play finals for the first time (they were robbed last year). Although they are a star studded team, they can be beaten. Playing the dogs and dees as the interconference games could make them slide down the conference ladder though.
Teams they play from conference B: Western Bulldogs and Melbourne

Richmond: By all accounts they have recruited boldly signing big names like Fredrick, Brennan, and Conti however big names don't always equal success! They need to know how to play together as a team and if there are too many egos in the team then it could have an effect on performance. They got smashed by the Bulldogs in the practice match last week who lost big names in the off season. They are beatable!
Teams they play from conference B: St Kilda and Carlton

So with all this, I would say that North Melbourne, Adelaide, and ourselves will progress into the Finals.
I expect Brisbane and Gold Coast to finish bottom of the Conference.

I’m honestly not following how you rate Gold Coasts list so highly.

Did you follow the Winter series at all?

Nor would I count GWS as easy beats. GWS basically have played a lot of kids the last three years, with the intention of growing their team as the girls mature.

I expect Brisbane and Gold Coast to finish bottom of the Conference.

I’m honestly not following how you rate Gold Coasts list so highly.

Did you follow the Winter series at all?

Nor would I count GWS as easy beats. GWS basically have played a lot of kids the last three years, with the intention of growing their team as the girls mature.
Culture is one thing that can make standard players perform above their apparent talent and that is something that we have got right with the women's squad- culture! It helps by having the bulk of our talent Queenslanders. This helps build culture and it is also part of our girls team identity- proudly representing the Gold Coast and Tweed, Nth Queensland and the wider Queensland.

The majority of our players to have come from other clubs have came from Brisbane who have played in 2 out of the 3 Grand Finals. That helps too when talking about experience.

The Suns U18 teams have been performing strongly and we have a number of AFLW U18 All Australians in our squad. Gold Coast female footy has been strong for a number of years too.

Yes I have tuned into the Winter Series and watched those results. Whilst we haven't performed strongly, AFLW 2020 is a new season and our first on the national stage where we have everything to play for. I can sense our girls being able to do something special that is for sure!!

As for GWS Giants, they may not be the easiest of beats but they are definitely not a Finals team. They have failed to win in the past and this will continue in AFLW 2020.

Culture is one thing that can make standard players perform above their apparent talent and that is something that we have got right with the women's squad- culture! It helps by having the bulk of our talent Queenslanders. This helps build culture and it is also part of our girls team identity- proudly representing the Gold Coast and Tweed, Nth Queensland and the wider Queensland.

The majority of our players to have come from other clubs have came from Brisbane who have played in 2 out of the 3 Grand Finals. That helps too when talking about experience.

The Suns U18 teams have been performing strongly and we have a number of AFLW U18 All Australians in our squad. Gold Coast female footy has been strong for a number of years too.

Yes I have tuned into the Winter Series and watched those results. Whilst we haven't performed strongly, AFLW 2020 is a new season and our first on the national stage where we have everything to play for. I can sense our girls being able to do something special that is for sure!!

As for GWS Giants, they may not be the easiest of beats but they are definitely not a Finals team. They have failed to win in the past and this will continue in AFLW 2020.
Everything you talk as positives for the Suns, is exactly the same for Brisbane and GWS, but you’re writing us off.

Both the Suns and Lions filled out their squads at the draft with U18 academy girls, or mature age recruites who couldn’t get a senior list spot at their local team in other states, so nominated for the draft and were willing to play anywhere to continue their AFLW dream.

Understand I’m not trying say the Suns are bad. Just that I believe you’re over rating the Suns and underselling teams like the Lions and GWS.

Culture has always been a strong core of the Lions AFLW team, but it’s as if you’re not taking that in to consideration for other teams, while it’s a core for the Suns.

Gold Coast Suns
Image: Gold Coast BUlletin

IMAGE: GOLD COAST BULLETIN
Average Age
23 years, 290 days
Average Experience
4.4 games
Average Finals Experience
0.47 games
Injury Concerns
Pre-season has been full of good news for the Suns with no major injury news.
Players yet to debut
Lauren Ahrens, Georgia Breward, Hannah Dunn, Alexia Hamilton, Charlotte Hammans, Cheyenne Hammond, Ellie Hampson, Dee Heslop, Jordann Hickey, Kalinda Howarth, Jade Pregelj, Molly Ritson, Maddy Roberts, Taylor Smith, Kate Surman, Serene Watson, Kitara Whap-Farrar
Conference
A
Fixture
GWS (Away), Richmond (Home), Brisbane (Home), North Melbourne (Away), Geelong (Home), West Coast (Away), Adelaide (Home), Melbourne (Away)
Who Don’t They Play?
Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle, St. Kilda, Western Bulldogs

From an EA093FB2-333D-4CA6-A4DE-4B70FF78F17D.png

The Suns enter the competition looking to become the dominant northern side, and with the list they’ve put together there is no reason why this can’t happen. Gold Coast have managed to gather experience and leadership in Kaslar and Virgo and tenacity in Yorston and Parker, not to mention the young talent that’s come through their draft hand. Queensland may very well be painted red and gold.

For an expansion club, these stats do tell us less than that of established teams. What they do suggest, however, is that despite the big name Brisbane recruits they’ve landed, it is in fact Tiarna Ernst and Jamie Stanton that look to be their best expansion pickups.

With the five game minimum for the above average leaders, prized recruit Jacqui Yorston misses out as she has played just four games, but her tenacity, averaging eight tackles a game, and ability to win the ball will prove crucial when it comes to the Suns’ entry to the AFLW. A9258078-FC84-4E65-97B4-3DD6BD573202.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back