Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s plenty of passionate Dogs AFLW fans on here. Me included. Tonight was desperately frustrating. Two of their BOG were poached directly from us. Ashmore also feels like a slight on us as well as the Lions.

North have had a great big leg-up and I naively thought their own fans may have acknowledged that too. I’m sorry if my comments derailed their game thread - believe it or not I was not trying to be antagonistic.

Give us your comments on the game. I’m sure plenty of people are interested in discussing it.
I'm curious what you say about Ashmore - I never knew we had any connection with her?

I thought we were fumbly and didn't play with much cohesion, a lot of players didn't get much of the ball or didn't do much with it when they got it. We played pretty similar to last week, the difference being we could just grind Geelong out of the game forever whereas North have enough very good players and enough weapons to make it impossible to do over a whole game. They were more organised than we were and also, disappointingly, more skilled, I think.

I liked when we played more free-flowing in the third quarter, but ultimately it didn't get us anywhere because in that quarter, like all game, we didn't have much of a clue in the forward line. We miss Lochland so so much. I'm not sure about dropping McLeod either, because she's no star but she's been a fairly regular goalkicker for us over the years.

Katie Brennan had a pretty good game but my memory of her at the start of the comp was that she was more of a one-touch player. She takes some great marks but today she dropped some sitters, muffed some disposals. I hope she's playing herself back into form and I hope Huntington is back soon so they can each take some pressure off each other.

I liked bits and pieces I saw from Smith, Ferres and Gogos, some of our more underrated midfielders. Lamb, Blackburn and Conti played well. And incidentally, it was utter madness for that umpire not to let Blackburn take a set shot when she'd have been kicking from 50. He clearly wasn't watching us last week...

I think we're a middle-of-the-pack team this year. If it all goes well for us, we get Huntington and Lochland back in time and nobody else is injured, I think at our best we can have a shot at the flag this year, but it won't take much for us to freefall out of contention either.

I'm curious what you say about Ashmore - I never knew we had any connection with her?

I thought we were fumbly and didn't play with much cohesion, a lot of players didn't get much of the ball or didn't do much with it when they got it. We played pretty similar to last week, the difference being we could just grind Geelong out of the game forever whereas North have enough very good players and enough weapons to make it impossible to do over a whole game. They were more organised than we were and also, disappointingly, more skilled, I think.

I liked when we played more free-flowing in the third quarter, but ultimately it didn't get us anywhere because in that quarter, like all game, we didn't have much of a clue in the forward line. We miss Lochland so so much. I'm not sure about dropping McLeod either, because she's no star but she's been a fairly regular goalkicker for us over the years.

Katie Brennan had a pretty good game but my memory of her at the start of the comp was that she was more of a one-touch player. She takes some great marks but today she dropped some sitters, muffed some disposals. I hope she's playing herself back into form and I hope Huntington is back soon so they can each take some pressure off each other.

I liked bits and pieces I saw from Smith, Ferres and Gogos, some of our more underrated midfielders. Lamb, Blackburn and Conti played well. And incidentally, it was utter madness for that umpire not to let Blackburn take a set shot when she'd have been kicking from 50. He clearly wasn't watching us last week...

I think we're a middle-of-the-pack team this year. If it all goes well for us, we get Huntington and Lochland back in time and nobody else is injured, I think at our best we can have a shot at the flag this year, but it won't take much for us to freefall out of contention either.
The thread will get back on track once Norf people have left.
As a follower of women’s footy you should be happy that tonight’s women’s game has brought out the competive instincts and juices from supporters.

Last year was a big fan, attended games, grand final, signed up AFLW member. This year, wouldn’t waste my time supporting players we will lose for no compensation to a bunch of f***wits running the newer expansion teams who will get a free pass from the AFL dictatorship to pillage the lists of successful teams.

Support your local female teams wherever you are by all means, as I do, but my advice is not to invest one cent or one ounce of effort in engaging with AFLW.

My care factor for the game in Hobart tonight is the lowest ever for a team representing our club. No offence to the players, but management of that ‘competition’ in all aspects is an absolute ******fest.
I think it is a symptom of how badly the Gold Coast Suns stuffed up their entry to the AFL, that the AFLW didn't want to allow another late entry franchise to wither and die in its infancy. But they appear to have clearly gone too far with the concessions and it does look pretty ridiculous.

The thread will get back on track once Norf people have left.
As a follower of women’s footy you should be happy that tonight’s women’s game has brought out the competive instincts and juices from supporters.
I'm really not that interested in people's competitive instincts or their juices. There's plenty of ways to support a football team.

One thing I've said at every single match I've been to and stand by to this day: Aisling Utri is the greatest ever player of Australian Rules football in the history of the sport.
Mmmm. Ok. I kind of saw your point regarding this thread and how it was highjacked.

Then this post.

Mmmm. Ok. I kind of saw your point regarding this thread and how it was highjacked.

Then this post.
What's wrong with the post? It's hyperbole, but she is my favourite player and I have repeatedly said it at matches. Not football-related enough for you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t understand this concept of ‘my’, ‘our’ board? I signed up to have an account on this forum and I’m posting.

Hey I know Dogs supporters are more thick skinned than sooky Norf supporters on your board, but you are pushing it.

Ashmore played for the Dogs before going to Brisbane for the first year of AFLW.

Hey just thought id ask the dogs supporters are north Melbourne gettable.

Freo are pretty good this year and I would find premiership success quite sweet.

Hey just thought id ask the dogs supporters are north Melbourne gettable.

Freo are pretty good this year and I would find premiership success quite sweet.

Any team is gettable on the day. I pretty much see Fremantle on a similar level to us. I think North are at this stage looking about three goals better than the next best side. Guess you have to wait until round 7 to find out ;)

One thing I've said at every single match I've been to and stand by to this day: Aisling Utri is the greatest ever player of Australian Rules football in the history of the sport.

Really taken her game to a new level this year. Lost some weight over the off-season and really improved her kicking and overhead marking. Hoping she can stay fit for the remainder of the season.

1/They should be harder on the sling tackle before someone gets knocked out
2/The umps should blow the whistle more quickly for ball ups instead of letting players wrestle for it for ages.
3/They should play on smaller grounds
4/The players are too selfish in front of goal, lots of players take a shot and it lands 5 to 10 meters short.

1/They should be harder on the sling tackle before someone gets knocked out
2/The umps should blow the whistle more quickly for ball ups instead of letting players wrestle for it for ages.
3/They should play on smaller grounds
4/The players are too selfish in front of goal, lots of players take a shot and it lands 5 to 10 meters short.

Agree on the smaller fields, cricket does it by bringing the ropes in to compensate for the smaller hitting power. Some teams struggle to get it inside 50, or clear it from a kick in after a behind as it is. Most players struggle to kick the ball 40m, will make the game better for all

You can just see it, next season new rules will be introduced to limit how many existing players a new team can sign, protecting Norf from the same treatment they dished out to clubs this time around. If it happens, it would further skew the competitive balance across the league, leaving North with a much larger group of established players than any other club. I hope I'm wrong but it's just so *ing predictable.

Agree on the smaller fields, cricket does it by bringing the ropes in to compensate for the smaller hitting power. Some teams struggle to get it inside 50, or clear it from a kick in after a behind as it is. Most players struggle to kick the ball 40m, will make the game better for all
It's congestion and slow ball movement that limits scoring. That's why they made it 16 a team. Having 16 a side to create space, then reducing space by restricting ground size would be nonsensical.

Also, You can change the size of all levels of women's cricket by putting in a boundary for them, but footy fields have things called goals, that aren't easily moved. My local women's team play at the regions premiere footy ground, on the same day the men play, they cannot play a different sized ground.

You cannot have the senior women's comp in the country play a junior sized ground, and all the other comps play normal sized, and all of them play on grounds shared with men.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Lol dont give the lurkers fodder to read to get their dose of schadenfreude.

We got beaten soundly. However, season isn’t over yet. Just make sure we keep winning and get that number 2 spot.

Last edited:
Can somebody card this ******* and delete their posts?

They are decidedly not welcome on our board.
Done. Clearly was trolling the board. Next infraction means a holiday for them.

And now they have a day off for teeing off in a PM to me.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back