Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

This is not good. West coast were belted in every game they played up until this point. It really shouldn't of been close enough for the umpires to become a factor. The list has been raided so badly these past couple years to the point where if only a few (experienced) players get injured, it's basically an expansion team. I'm worried about the potential ramifications of this loss, as it could affect not only affect players confidence as individuals, but also on the team as a whole going forward, so some may not what want to stick around. I hope the girls can turn it around, but with the injuries (and not knowing if and when some of these players will be back), it's hard to see.

This is not good. West coast were belted in every game they played up until this point. It really shouldn't of been close enough for the umpires to become a factor. The list has been raided so badly these past couple years to the point where if only a few (experienced) players get injured, it's basically an expansion team. I'm worried about the potential ramifications of this loss, as it could affect not only affect players confidence as individuals, but also on the team as a whole going forward, so some may not what want to stick around. I hope the girls can turn it around, but with the injuries (and not knowing if and when some of these players will be back), it's hard to see.
That all comes down to strong list management. Which raises the question - who does list management for our AFLW team? Is it Debbie Lee? She would surely be a good person to hold these girls together at the club.

Our list has never been able to settle with the expansion, with expansion halted and pretty much done we are finally able to have a secure list. Contracts can now be signed for two years with that to likely increase this year. Yes players will come and go but that is to be expected by any AFL and AFLW team.

We have a terrific core group that will certainly not be leaving and the youngest list of any of the initial 8 clubs and we are getting senior games into them. We had five 18 years olds playing today.

Yes we turned it over too much and kicked ourselves out of it, but even though they are an expansion club West Coast weren't far off us with experience today and they were older...

WC - 215 games - 24y 268d
WB - 276 games - 23y 360d

West Coast had played Collingwood, Fremantle and GWS all of which who are older and more experienced.

We have a young list that is stabilising and growing as well as a premiership in the cabinet and we are about to redevelop our home ground making it the premier AFLW venue. I don't think we're gonna too much trouble with people wanting to leave.

How did Bonnie Toogood go? I can't seem to find the stats anywhere (not used to AFLW).

Injured in the first quarter & didn’t return, but said to be nothing too serious

If some players are that fickle they don't want to stick around after a few losses, then let them go. I think you are placing too much emphasis on winning. Have some patience and enjoy watching the improvement of young players. Burke needs time to build this team up.

It’s a conspiracy - the real Nathan Burke has had plastic surgery so he can remain true to his beloved Saints, while the imposter coaching our AFLW team is a corporate plant who will smile through next preseason as our best players are pinched again. I’m still trying to find out who is under the mask, my short list at this stage is Nicole Livingstone, Gil, Lord Lucan or Amelia Earhart.

That all comes down to strong list management. Which raises the question - who does list management for our AFLW team? Is it Debbie Lee? She would surely be a good person to hold these girls together at the club.

It’s hard to compete with the Puma sponsorship deals that come when signing with other sides.

This year is all about development. We are an ordinary side, though I don’t think our current game plan helps. I know Burke has said we are a short side so need to run, but the overuse of handball is killing us, we don’t have the skill level to overuse the ball, we must be more direct.

There were some positives from the Eagles game though, Newton was great and Georgiostathis is getting better each week. I also thought it was Hannah Scott’s best game for a long time. She was great in our first two seasons, but hasn’t been the same player since.

If some players are that fickle they don't want to stick around after a few losses, then let them go. I think you are placing too much emphasis on winning. Have some patience and enjoy watching the improvement of young players. Burke needs time to build this team up.
I'm really not though. I'm talking about losing games that should be won. I understand the team is young, and I am willing to be patient, but my worry is that not all players will be, with losses against expansion teams. Even if no one leaves, it may affect some player's confidence both individually and on the team as whole. I know that when you look at all the statistics the loss isn't as bad it seems, but that still may not be enough to justify the loss for some players, given overall doggies were still favourites (I mean, west coast have pretty much been non-competitive up until the last game, whereas the dogs had been for the most part).

We're an incredibly young team. We just gotta cop the losses like this, keep our talented young list together, and keep improving. Realistically we're a couple seasons off.
We're actually looking pretty good - just need to stop conceding goals out the back which has killed us the last couple of weeks.
As you say we are incredibly young and these girls have the opportunity to grow together into a great team.

Hopefully we can add an elite young mid or two in the next draft to help take a bit of pressure of Ellie.
She is carrying a big load with the losses of Kearney and Conti in the last couple of seasons.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From what little I have seen of her, is going to be an absolute beast of a player. A combo of McKevoy and Patrikios. The first of the new generation, footy obsessed, and planning and training to be AFLW ready since she was about 13.
All I've got is stuff you probably already know, but here it is:

 Highly skilled footballer – strong powerful inside mid.
 Had a fantastic pre-season, probably the fittest and strongest she has ever been.
 Clever player who thinks through the game well. Wins a lot of 50/50 balls.
 Fantastic skills on both sides of her feet
 Will predominantly play as an inside midfielder but will rotate forward to showcase her power.

Doesn't say anything about which year she is eligible, but considering there's only about 5-8 player reports for each team, I'd assume they would stick to those in this years draft.

Also she played champs last year, I'd say she's part if the 2020 pool.

This, as far as I was concerned was always a dev. year which is why this is so interesting

An email from the club

With our 2020 AFLW season now moving into its fifth round we are excited to invite you, our AFLW Ambassadors, to an inner sanctum experience as part of your membership benefits.

You have the choice of either Round 6 against Fremantle or Round 8 against GWS for this experience which will include the following;
  • Pre game address from AFLW senior coach Nathan Burke
  • AFLW Program update from General Manager, Women’s Football Debbie Lee
  • Q & A with an injured AFLW player/s
  • You will also be given the opportunity to sit in a dedicated reserved seat bay for the match you register for

The information for each game is below;

Fremantle – Sunday 15 March
Victoria University Whitten Oval
Start time for experience – 11.30am (Meet at Barkers café entrance)
Game start time – 1.10pm

GWS – Friday 27 March
Victoria University Whitten Oval
Start time for experience - 4pm (Meet at Barkers café entrance)
Game start time - 5.45pm

Is anybody else a member and planning to attend? This is the first time the club has done something like this and I hope it does not replace the reception they have done in the past. Gonna book myself for the GWS game. It means I must knock off early

Remove this Banner Ad

Back