AFLW AFLW List Management 2023-24

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like we’re going to trade Pick 4 for Kirsty Lamb.

If we do that then it’s important that the Crows don’t trade up for a pick before us so that we can get Piper Window.

I think we’ll get Pick 14 from the Dogs as part of the Lamb/Pick 4 trade.

Lol wtf.

Why would we give up pick 4 and the chance to get window , who is the standout player and a midfielder we absolutely need.

Sure, pick 14 still keeps us ahead of the crows pick 18 but it’s not hard to see that the crows could trade pick 18 up to 13 or earlier and get ahead of us.

Seems really weird to risk missing out on a star player so we can trade for a 29 yr old midfielder.

All I can think of is the dogs are playing hardball and / or were trying to hold onto pick 21 as we have our eyes on a 2nd player in the draft.

It’s just dumb.

Take window, do a trade with the dogs that doesnt jeopardise that.

Window has the chance to be what hatchard is to the crows for us. Don’t * it up.

Im no AFLW trade expert - so just reading through te trade wrap article, but it would appear to me that so long as we stay ahead of the Crows with our first pick we are guaranteed first call on Window.

14 sits ahead of 18, so that would be fine in isolation, however WB still need to get hold of 14, and the other issue is the Crows are trying to shake 11 out of Richmond for Montana McKinnon according to the same article.

So logic says we cant do this deal if we want Window until after McKinnon is traded and we know where we sit ... we cant afford the Crows to get 11 or another pick they can bundle with 18 to jump ahead of 14.
You also dont really want to to trade out 21 for Lamb as our next pick falls after the Crows and we surely want to take 2 of the top 3 SA girls on top of what we already have.

The only other moving part I see is Lily Johnson being linked to Melbourne, and I dont see any rumoured pick values associated with her but Melbourn currently have 5,19,26,56,75 so I assume one of these would be used. Which pick is used and the number of list spots we intend to use, may influence what we do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has trading shut down completely or is there still pick trading til the draft like the AFLM?

I don't follow the AFLW players, but assuming Lamb is a leading player to do that trade?

Sounds like she goes OK, went AA in 2022 too
Playing 67 games at the Bulldogs, including a premiership in 2018, Lamb has been in the AFLW system since day one, making her debut in the opening round of the first season.

With an extensive elite sporting background, the 29-year-old switched to football from cricket, where she played for Victoria and the Melbourne Renegades between 2012 and 2016.

In 2022 (Season 6), Lamb earned the Bulldogs’ best and fairest medal and was named the AFL Players’ Association most courageous player in the league.

Earlier this month, she polled third in the Bulldogs’ best and fairest count and took home the club’s leading goal-kicker award.

Lamb also has a family connection to Port Adelaide, with her uncle Paul Rizonico playing 102 SANFL games for the Magpies between 1989 and 1994.

Has trading shut down completely or is there still pick trading til the draft like the AFLM?

Doesn't look like it, although I can't see why the final draft order can't be confirmed today - there's a delisted free agency window open tomorrow and Saturday, but that wouldn't involve compo picks. Maybe just confirming what list vacancies each club has:

Key dates for the 2023 AFLW Trade and Draft periods​

Thursday, December 7
Trade Period Opens
Restricted Free Agency Period Opens
Delisted Free Agency Period (1) Opens

Wednesday, December 13
Delisted Free Agency Period (1) Closes

Thursday, December 14
Trade Period Closes (2pm AEDT)
Restricted Free Agency Period Closes

Friday, December 15
Delisted Free Agency Period (2) Open

Saturday, December 16
Delisted Free Agency Period (2) Closes

Sunday, December 17
AFLW Draft Order confirmed

Monday, December 18
2023 AFLW Draft

Monday, February 5 2024
Supplemental Selection Period Open
Rookie Signing Period Open

Friday, March 1 2024
Supplemental Selection Period Closes
Rookie Signing Period Closes

I think we gave up too much in this mega draft in 1st round picks 4 & 21
If the Crows don't trade ahead of us we'll be drafting the same player with pick 18 as we'd have drafted with pick 4 anyway.

Are Lily Johnson and Yasmin Duursma dating? Of course it doesn't matter, just curious. Seen a lot of pics with the 2 of them together, now appears they've both effectively moved to Melb together. Obviously at a minimum they must be great friends. I felt she was a player that certainly deserved more time, she had good skills was just super light.

The trade is certainly us giving up a lot. Down grading 3 picks and losing Lily Johnson. However as per the above if we're still ahead of the Crows, the loss of 4 for 18 means nothing.

If the Crows don't trade ahead of us we'll be drafting the same player with pick 18 as we'd have drafted with pick 4 anyway.

IF the crows don’t trade ahead of us

(I don’t know if there is draft day trading but I would assume so)

If we lost out on window that would be one of the worst bonehead moves in sports ever.

I wouldn’t do anything that even leaves a 1% chance of missing out on her.

she’s that dominant a mid.

I do think tho that they must be confident that it won’t happen or they wouldn’t have traded the picks away.

At this point the crows could only trade future picks and who is going to give up much for their future first round pick when they consistently finish near or top of the ladder?

Oh and 11 club trade, you have to tip your hat

Season 6 Smiling GIF by This Is Us

Tell you what, I’m crossing my fingers and toes that we get to play the Western Bulldogs next year.

They won the spoon this year and have been gutted even more by losing experienced players, so they’d be a near-guaranteed win for our girls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back